PDA

View Full Version : MIK Squier Strat on the way....

duhvoodooman
June 9th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I've been looking for a 2nd Strat for a while now, and nailed this down for cheap at the 'Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280232852763

Wanted an inexpensive rosewood necked Strat that I can fool around modding and not worrry about mucking it up. This should hopefully fill the bill. MIK Strats of that vintage ('97) have the reputation of being hit or miss affairs, so we'll see how this one turns out. Certainly appears to be in nice shape from the pics. I'd been looking for a blue one, but the deal on this one looked too good not to bid on. I'd placed a max bid of $88, so I got it with $2 to spare! LOL!

Algonquin
June 9th, 2008, 05:52 AM
The pics look great DVM.. Congrats :AOK:

just strum
June 9th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Nice score DVM, wow and managed that with 18 total bids. I'm surprised with the activity it didn't go higher. Love the color.

birv2
June 9th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Sweet deal! What kind of pickups are you thinking of using?

My Affinity Strat plays and sounds amazing. I haven't played one of the Rondo's or Agile's, but Squier might still be the king of Bang-for-the-Buck.

Bob

M29
June 9th, 2008, 07:16 AM
He scores:AOK: Nice looking Strat there DVM very nice indeed:AOK:

M29

Robert
June 9th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Congrats, tell us all about later eh?

duhvoodooman
June 9th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Sweet deal! What kind of pickups are you thinking of using?

My Affinity Strat plays and sounds amazing. I haven't played one of the Rondo's or Agile's, but Squier might still be the king of Bang-for-the-Buck.

Bob
Haven't decided on new p'ups, though I suspect I'll want to change the stockers. Since my current Strat has a set of CS Texas Specials, which are fairly hot, I want this one to go the "vintage" route. Since Squiers don't generally have a great reputation for their shielding, I was thinking that THESE (http://store.guitarfetish.com/coju20nepino.html) in the "True Vintage" model might be an interesting way to go, and they're very reasonably priced....as you'd expect from GFS.

Those DiMarzio "Area" series p'ups like Marnold recently installed in his Floyd Rose are mighty nice, but I struggle mightily with the idea of dropping $200 in pickups into an $86 guitar! :eek:

Spudman
June 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Those DiMarzio "Area" series p'ups like Marnold recently installed in his Floyd Rose are mighty nice, but I struggle mightily with the idea of dropping $200 in pickups into an $86 guitar! :eek:

So you'd have a smoking hot $286 guitar. That ain't so bad.

Tone E
June 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I like that transparent wine red, very nice, good buy.

marnold
June 12th, 2008, 11:57 AM
So you'd have a smoking hot $286 guitar. That ain't so bad.
That was basically my theory with my Floyd. I'm putting $250 in upgrades into a guitar that I paid $149 for. I look at it this way. It's going from a guitar that I like to one that I love. Plus even with the upgrades, I'm still paying the same as it would have been if I had gotten the guitar at the regular price it had been selling for previously. Try getting a super strat anywhere else with Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan pickups and a genuine Floyd for less than $400!

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I bet I go that route with a tele some day. Also the LP route with an Agile, though the LP will come first and with a 3000 series Agile, I don't expect to have to mod too much. For a Tele, either a Squire or an SX would be the likely platform. The Peaveys look really sweet, but I want the true tele shape. I am sometimes funny about stuff like that.

The tele bodies that have been mentioned recently look really tempting, but I do not realistically have the time to do the work, and by the time I bought all the parts and the neck, and put my time in, I would be better off starting with a built guitar and playing it.

duhvoodooman
June 13th, 2008, 05:10 AM
On the local FedEx delivery truck this morning.... :D