PDA

View Full Version : Fender Hot Rod DeVille (4x10)

tremoloman
May 4th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Anyone here have a Fender Hot Rod DeVille?
If so, what guitars and effects do you find sound good through it?

I've had my used Hot Rod DeVille for a few months ago and want to say this amp is INCREDIBLE! It's 60W but puts out more power than some full stacks! You will never run out of power or volume with this baby! This amp sounds especially well with Strats and Teles. Classic rock, blues, country, classical - this thing does it all!

Great value for the money IMHO.

Robert
May 4th, 2006, 10:20 AM
I have tried that amp, it's very loud! I couldn't quite get that sparkly tone I wanted though. The Fender amp for me is probably the Deluxe Reverb. Only 22 watts.

SuperSwede
May 4th, 2006, 10:30 AM
The Fender Blues JR is a insanely good sounding amp (low wattage as well) but comes with a very hefty price tag.

Tim
May 4th, 2006, 10:34 AM
The Fender amp for me is probably the Deluxe Reverb. Only 22 watts.

Robert - What do you use this amp for ... practice or gig?

Spudman
May 4th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I mainly use an amp that splits the difference between the two. That is the 40 watt Hot Rod Deluxe. It is my main gig amp now because it does sound like a sparkly Fender, has ample clean head room, and will totally wail when cranked. Plus it's not too heavy (for my roadie...right;) )
I do like the 22 watt Deluxe too but have found it gets covered by the drums too easilly.

All in all I think the Hot Rod series are great amps. There are tons of users and tons of mods for each. I think the Hot Rod Deluxe is Fenders best selling amp ever. I heard that somewhere but I don't know the accuracy of it.
I have a 50 watt Crate Vintage series amp, too but I was told to turn down too often so that is why I stayed away from the higher wattage Deville, but it do sound killer though!

"The Hot Rod Deluxe is, as far as we know, the best-selling tube amplifier of all time."
- Shane Nicholas, Marketing Manager for Fender amplifiers

For effects I have found that something that will push the front end of the amp works best. A Bad Monkey, Tone Driver, Tube Screamer, DS1, or the ToneBone, or Fulltone II work really well into the clean channel.
I don't use the dirty channel yet because I haven't replaced the tubes with the "good set." Doing so makes the dirty circuit sound like it should. Otherwise it doesn't sound that good to me.

Here is one of the best Hot Rod sites: http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

I mainly play with a Strat or sometimes other guitars from the list. The Ibanez S470 is the only guitar played through that amp that brought people up to the stage to tell me that it was the best live guitar tone they had ever heard. That said, I think the amp works well with almost anything.

Long live Hot Rods!

Robert
May 4th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Tim, I don't have a Deluxe Reverb, but I would like to. It can be used for either practice or gig, great tones. The Hot Rod series are good amps, no doubt about it.

duhvoodooman
May 5th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Here is one of the best Hot Rod sites: http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/
Hey, thanks for that link, Spuds! There's a ton of interesting/useful info there, even for non-Hot Rod owners. Especially good for a "tubie newbie" like me! :D