PDA

View Full Version : Punk = Garage Rock and Roll, From Chuck and Buddy to present.

sunvalleylaw
June 9th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Brian Krashpad said in Robert's groups thread:

Clash are a punk rock and roll group, period.

What a lot of history since has tended to minimze or blur is that punk, for all it's forward-speaking rheotric and fashion, was musically a revivalist movement. Punk essentially wanted to recapture the energy and simplicity of 50's and early 60's (i.e., including garage) rock. Check it-- a lot of punk groups were big fans of rockabilly, the Who, etc. Many modern fans of punk classify both many modern garage and many modern rockabilly bands as within the overall punk umbrella.

The idea of bringing rock back to its simple and even sometimes violent roots was so unacceptable to some in the 70's that punk was instead removed entirely from the rock lexicon and ghetto-ized. It was not rock, but something new and separate.

Such is a huge falsehood.

and

This is an astute observation, and supported by both musicological and historical factors.

First, let me relate a bit of my personal experiences with the punk rock as an observation. This all goes back to my basic premise that punk is an integral part of rock and roll and NOT some separate or fringe music genre.

I got into punk rock when records (some of which had been out for anywhere from 3 or 4 or more years) began to get enough press coverage (remember, no intranets) for me to become aware of them (since mainstream rock radio essentially banned them in the states) in the early 1980's. I still liked 60's rock (especially the first half, not so much the trippy/hippy/jammy or acid stuff) and some mainstream 70's rock that captured some of that (perfect example: hometown heroes Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers). I thought of "punk rock" and "punk rockers" as something totally separate and foreign.

Until, of course, I heard it, and met some punk rock people.

Keep in mind, I was not a "cool" person. At the time, I was in my first band. I did not have a lot of cool clothes (whether by punk or mainstream standards) or a cool (whether by punk or mainstream standards) haircut. Basically I was a nerdy honors-student type kid who was the antithesis of the rocker, even though I liked rock music. From what I read, if I went to a punk rock show I would be shunned as not hip enough. And lots of people would be spitting on each other.

To use a Britishism, it was all a load of bollocks.

The punk rockers I met, including groundbreaking local punk band Roach Motel, one of the handful of early Florida punbk rock bands, welcomed me with open arms. I never got one ounze of shit about not being hip enough. I got invited to crazy house parties. I heard the Roach Motel cover BTO's "Takin' Care of Business." When my band covered Thin Lizzy's "Jailbreak" at the the Roach Motel's unofficial HQ, the House of Death, no one booed or even ran for cover. When I went to a "punk rock" birthday party, I might hear a side of Aerosmith alongside the Ramones or 999.

A lot of my misunderstanding of punk rock has or had to do with what I call the "Britishism" of punk rock. I thought punk rock was something from the UK, the Ramones notwithstanding. Like so many others, I had it bass-ackwards. The Ramones predated the UK bands-- many of which had been inspired by the Ramones' July 4, 1976 performance in London at the Roundhouse , where members or future members of the Pistols and Clash were in attendance. Another groundbreaking American band was the NY Dolls, whom the Pistols' manager had purported to "manage" as they fell apart; the subsequent arrival in the UK of Dolls splinter band the Heartbreakers (no relation to Tom Petty) was another ealry influence there.

It's been my experience that UK people tend to see punk as an historical/youth trend movement first, and as a musical genre second. Americans, the other way round. The reasons for this are at least two-fold. First, in the UK punk was much more closely tied to fashion, and fashion is inherently short-lived . The Ramones dressed totally in American iconic clothing: straight-legged jeans, biker jackets, T-shirts, and Converses. No safety pins or trash bags.

Second, in the UK punk was wildly successful in the short-term. Number one on the pop charts (although those same charts refused to put the song title on the chart--instead leaving a blank). In the US, it was virtually impossible to even hear punk on the radio in the 70's. In the UK, punk was another flash-in-the pan like mods or Teds, or New Romantics to come. In the US punk was a commercial failure, and punk rock went back underground, establishing it's network of magazines (fanzines), clubs, even safe houses (crash pads).

Just Strum and I were basically agreeing. I have always noticed a similarity between punkish stuff and 50's rock and roll up into early Stones and Beatles, say up to 64 or 65. Kind of "The day the music died" kind of stuff.

I wanted to discuss a little further and thought a new thread was better than keeping it in Robert's, so I copied Krash's quotes over to here. Krash indicates punk went back underground in the U.S. And I suppose it did as far as US groups went, other than the Ramones. The punk I was listening to that had mainstream success, Clash, Ramones, some early U2, early Elvis Costello, early Joe Jackson, morphed. Elvis changed his sound, so did Joe, so did U2, the Clash disbanded and we ended up with more club type tunes from Big Audio Dynamite. (I am staying with commercially successful here). Then in the early 90s, I started listening to Greenday, specifically the Dookie album. It was on the radio where I lived and I would say it was successful. So to me, a kind of son of punk, or power pop punk? lived on. The Offspring, and maybe Cracker also fell into that box for me. REM was on a different track. There were a few others I can't think of right now. And I also started listening to grunge which was different than punk, but was still definitely garage rock and roll, almost completely unproduced.

That is the way it seemed to me. Discuss? Brian, Strum? RofG, you may have thoughts on this, anyone else?

t_ross33
June 9th, 2008, 07:15 PM
My first exposure to punk would have been Hamilton's "Teenage Head" when I was about 13 or 14 (early 80s). I wasn't really cool yet (though some would debate whether I ever achieved such exhaulted status ;)), and my musical influences still came largely from my parents' album collection. What hooked me was the similarity to the 50's and early 60's rock-and-roll that I was already familiar with - Buddy Holly, early Elvis etc.

It wasn't until a year or two later that my musical tastes matured, or degraded - depending who you talked to, enough to explore more "hardcore" punk like the Cramps, Dead Kennedys etc.

I'll agree with Brian. I've always viewed American (and for that matter Canadian - there was a thriving West coast punk scene here, as well as in the major "Eastern" cities like Toronto) punk as a "music first" (sub)culture, whereas British punk, and it's bastard-child New Wave seemed more driven by fashion.

Either way, I was way too conservative to adopt a "punk" lifestyle (if a scene even existed in my little rural farming community - which it most certainly did not) - but I've always been a closet punk rocker.

BK is my hero. He's older than me and proves you can still rawk out with yer, uhm... sock(?) out on a regular basis :bootyshake:. There's hope for me yet.

Tone E
June 9th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Current music has its roots in more classical stuff which in turn has its roots in cavemen banging rocks and;) sticks together, doesn't make them the same thing. Punk and rock n roll... not same.

Brian Krashpad
October 31st, 2008, 05:55 PM
Punk and rock n roll... not same.

Thread excavation! :dude:

Somehow I missed this the first go-round, so I'm reviving it (was doing a search here for something totally unrelated and this popped up).

And I'm going to unequivocally, and in the strongest terms possible, disagree with the above statement by Tony.

Before getting into the basis for my disagreement, though, a concession. Tony's statement DOES represent the majority's viewpoint on rock and roll, or at least it's more mature cousin "rock." So long as you don't stray too far from the path, you can be outlandish, so long as you've got the right harcut and don't actually threaten anybody/anything, you're still rock.

Otherwise, however, you end up in the ghetto! You become not a valid sub-genre of the great monolith that is now "ROCK", but are shunted off to the dreaded OTHER GENRE ENTIRELY: punk. You know, the one that only has a dozen (or less) groups, each of which has one (or maybe two, if they do a high school graduation acoustic song like "Time of Your Life") song that may, oh so very occasionally. get played on a "rock" channel-- example: the Clash, who are represented by the token "Should I Stay or Should I Go." A band that was, in it's day, called (in all seriousness, too, I was alive back then) "The Only Band That Mattered." Reduced to being a one-hit wonder, and being a bunch of foreigners at that.

So, a lot of people agree with Tony. A lot more than agree with me.

Those people are wrong. ;)

Tony's full quote, which I'll admit to truncating for maximum dramatic effect, referenced "classical stuff." I'm going to assume Tony did not intend to reference either Beethoven or the Aeneid, but rock and roll in it's early and most pure state. However, when we do so, we find out that Tony's premise is wildly inaccurate revisionist history.

I'll admit, I wasn't in Memphis in 1958.

Wait, I take that back.

I WAS in Memphis in 1958, but I was busy being born over at Saint Something-or-Other's Catholic Hospital, so I was not able to stroll over to Beale or down to Sam Phillips' Sun Records. Or if I heard Dewey Phillips' (no relation to Sam) "Red Hot and Blue" broadcast on station WHBQ from the Hotel Chisca, it didn't register too much since I couldn't talk yet.

At any rate, let's return to our historical/musicological analysis. Elvis and the the Sun Records roster were seen as no less than the end of modern (white anyhow) civilization: about the best they'd get called by middle class business-leader types was trash, and they were apt to get called a lot worse, negroes (remember, roughly half of Sam's roster were black folk) or negro-lovers. People actually got together and BURNED rock and roll records.

Fast forward to 1976. "Progressive rock" (an oxymoron, I'd posit) was popular. Bands like Yes, Pink Floyd, Rick Wakeman, and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, were big. Long instrumental passages. Long songs. Music that didn't reference anything any kid could directly relate to, but instead was based om escapist fantasy (Tales from Topographic Oceans) or clasical literature (The Six Wives of Henry VIII)! The very thing kids would KILL to avoid having to read in school!

Meanwhile, the Pistols went to number one in Blighty-- but the offical charts contained a blank space for the name of the band. The Ramones were singing two-minute songs about being bored (nothin' to do), and the Clash were singing about being unemployed (Career Opportunites). Anybody remember Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues?"

Workin' all week just to try to earn a dollar.

Punk not rock?

I call bullshit on that.

just strum
October 31st, 2008, 07:08 PM
I hate to use the label Punk, so my opinion is that groups like The Clash were statement bands, they spoke of the political climate, the problems of the world, anger, the feelings of youth. What they did was make it raw again, stripped down and simplistic to communicated a sometime complicated subject.

In the end, all music that falls under the big umbrella of Rock, Soul, and a few others, find their roots in blues.

And for the record - London Calling is a classic.

sunvalleylaw
October 31st, 2008, 11:12 PM
Hey Brian! Glad to see you post on this. I thought you would originally, and now I know you missed it. As you can tell, I agree with you whole heartedly. All you do is have to listen to early rock, Elvis and Chuck Berry era, and listen again to the Trogs and the Kinks etc. in the 60s, then listen to the Clash and Ramones and others. Both in musical style and in attitude, it all tracks. And it is rock and roll.

Ch0jin
November 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
Ah Punk. My favorite musical subject.

I'm betting there are a few of us here who spent a lot of time in filthy run down bars catching Punk shows. I know I have. At one point I even sported a (dyed) black mohawk, tartan bondage pants and an assortment of ripped up t-shirts featuring bands like Subhumans, Chronic Generation, Exploited, and local bands like Massappeal, the Meanies, Hard-On's and more. I mean I doubt people outside of Australia really associate Australia with punk music, but I grew up in the same town as The Saints (you know that song I'm Stranded? yeah you do, come on, you've heard it, you just didn't know they were Aussies right haha....)

I'm no musical history expert and I'm loath to try and classify or define punk in a musical context as it relates to other genre's, but I can say with heartfelt certainty that the music "I" define as punk is pretty universally raw, often vicious and most often a call to arms. It should be in your face, challenging and confrontational. It should leave you battered and bruised (emotionally, physically or both) and most of all it should get you questioning what you are told. If Rock was an evolution of music, then Punk was a revolution. It grabbed you by the collar, head butted you in the face and told you to stop accepting what you're told by your parents, your church and your government and challenge authority.

I'm a fan of loads of "pop punk" bands too. I love me some (old) Blink182, Alkaline Trio, Greenday, Offspring, the Queers and the like, but I have to say that after growing up on Thatcher Era UK punk like the Exploited and Subhumans as well as US bands like the DK's, the "punk" you hear on the radio is just pop music and there is nothing wrong with that. If you want -my- version of punk, you won't hear it on the radio, but luckily you can still find it in a seedy bar somewhere, drunk, abusive, foul smelling and screaming "F*ck you" at the world.

R_of_G
November 3rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Thank you for starting a thread on this Steve, and thanks to Brian for so eloquently laying out the foundation for this discussion.

With respect to a good deal of punk rock, I agree one hundred percent with what Brian said and he said it so well it needs little else added to it. For many of the early punk bands, the inspiration was taken from bands like the New York Dolls and the Stooges, bands firmly rooted in a rock and roll foundation.

As Steve knows, I also believe firmly that there is a second strand to the influences on the earliest punk rock, and that is out of the so-called "free jazz" or "new music" scene of the 1960's. Bands like the MC5 were very much rooted in rock and roll and yet they also involved themselves with much of the experimentation of musicians like Albert Ayler and John Coltrane, Sun Ra and Pharoah Sanders, ending many of their live jams with "energy blasts" and the like. Listen to the sax solo in The Stooges "LA Blues." What rock and roll did that come from? Sounds much more like "sheets of sound" era Coltrane to me. The same goes for punk-poetess Patti Smith's work or that of seminal punk guitarist Robert Quine of The Voidoids. The Velvet Underground, another huge influence on early punk, also took inspiration from the free jazz movement, particularly Ornette Coleman. Reed's so-called "ostrich tuning" is exactly the same as James "Blood" Ulmer (of Ornette's bands) "harmolodic" tuning and Reed has said that he was trying to get Ornette's horn sound with a guitar.

Beyond these examples of clear musical influence, there is the general ethic which came out of the free jazz movement of making a music beyond the traditional "rules" of what came before.

I hate to use the label Punk, so my opinion is that groups like The Clash were statement bands, they spoke of the political climate, the problems of the world, anger, the feelings of youth. What they did was make it raw again, stripped down and simplistic to communicated a sometime complicated subject.

I know what you are saying, though it is difficult to think of the first two Clash albums as anything other than punk. Not all of these songs are "message songs" though clearly Strummer did have a lot to say even in the beginning. Some of the songs were just flat out punk rock. I think the Clash evolved as they went along, incorporating every style imaginable which is what made them so great, but prior to London Calling, it was pretty much straight punk rock.

Ch0jin
November 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Wow. I think this thread is more of an example of why musical genre's should only be used as a very loose guide.

I always considered the New York Dolls as Glam Rock band (in a similar vein to Mark Bolan with a hint of Bowie maybe). Never, ever a punk band.

I reckon a lot of people (and I'd be interested to hear you take on this) when asked "who was the first punk band" would go for either the Ramones or the Sex pistols or maybe even the Clash.

Chronologically The Ramones win, starting in 1974 in NY, with the Sex Pistols being thrown together by Malcom McLaren in 1975 (note that the infamous Sid Viscous wasn't recruited till '77) and the Clash also part of the original punk scene in the UK in '75.

However, I'd be really interested to know if the Ramones and especially the Stooges got their "punk" label as a result of the UK movement that followed them (Stooges were like '67 - '74) and were originally a "rock" band. Perhaps they considered themselves an (alt/indie/underground/post) rock band until with the help of Malcom McLaren's hugely successful marketing of his Sex Pistols, everyone had heard of this new thing called "Punk Rock".

All I'm saying is maybe the Stooges and even the Ramones were Punk before it had a name ;)

Discuss haha :)

R_of_G
November 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Oh I agree that The Dolls are not a punk band per se, as the term was not used yet applied to music, but there is little debate that they are among the primary influences on the vast majority of the earliest punk bands on both sides of the Atlantic. The Ramones and the Clash (particularly Mick Jones) certainly identify them as primary influences.

I agree with you that genres are very loose terms at best. I don't know that I'm for retroactively calling a band punk because of who they influenced with their sound. The Dolls and The Stooges and such pre-date punk, and I guess that's why people came up with the term proto-punk. Personally, when it comes to genre, I'm in the Miles Davis camp... "call it anything." It's all music. The terms are good guideposts to help discuss things with someone unfamiliar with a certain band or sound, but ultimately the lines get extremely fuzzy.

I am almost positive the Ramones are the first band who were called "punk rock".

just strum
November 3rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Oh I agree that The Dolls are not a punk band per se, as the term was not used yet applied to music, but there is little debate that they are among the primary influences on the vast majority of the earliest punk bands on both sides of the Atlantic. The Ramones and the Clash (particularly Mick Jones) certainly identify them as primary influences.

I agree with you that genres are very loose terms at best. I don't know that I'm for retroactively calling a band punk because of who they influenced with their sound. The Dolls and The Stooges and such pre-date punk, and I guess that's why people came up with the term proto-punk. Personally, when it comes to genre, I'm in the Miles Davis camp... "call it anything." It's all music. The terms are good guideposts to help discuss things with someone unfamiliar with a certain band or sound, but ultimately the lines get extremely fuzzy.

I am almost positive the Ramones are the first band who were called "punk rock".

I was a big fan of the Dolls and really liked David Johansen's first solo album. I like the guys voice.

Although not Punk, this is really his roots. I apologize for steering it away from the topic, but I think this is an important part of the punk make-up.

93xOeEr-USU

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Wow. I think this thread is more of an example of why musical genre's should only be used as a very loose guide.

. . .

I reckon a lot of people (and I'd be interested to hear you take on this) when asked "who was the first punk band" would go for either the Ramones or the Sex pistols or maybe even the Clash.

Chronologically The Ramones win, starting in 1974 in NY, with the Sex Pistols being thrown together by Malcom McLaren in 1975 (note that the infamous Sid Viscous wasn't recruited till '77) and the Clash also part of the original punk scene in the UK in '75. . . .

I always believe genres are loose guides. After all, the artists/musicians are making the music, and others later label it. Tracking influence certainly shows the history of an artist's inspiration, but labels are only labels.

I would fall into the camp you describe above, with the Sex Pistols being the first punk band I was aware of, and the Clash and Ramones coming a bit later. I had heard of and listened to Velvet Underground influenced CBGB music before then (All of us had heard of Blondie after that movie came out), but I don't think of that as true punk.

R_of_G, I am certainly aware of your thoughts on the jazz influenced "branch" of punk groups, and still need to dig in to some of your suggestions for reading and listening.

And I still say that punk is at heart, stripped down garage rock and roll, with a very rebellious attitude, and as pointed out already, early rock and roll was all about that. Maybe less political message involved, but very much social rebellion.

Ch0jin
November 4th, 2008, 12:57 AM
And I still say that punk is at heart, stripped down garage rock and roll, with a very rebellious attitude, and as pointed out already, early rock and roll was all about that. Maybe less political message involved, but very much social rebellion.

Haha, perhaps I should have mentioned that I agree with your comments earlier.

I just thought of this, but maybe Music has a blast radius.

Ground Zero is the bleeding edge of expression. Artists so full of passion it torments them, they don't want to make music, they HAVE to. It's circular, expanding out in every direction so it includes electronic artists, guitar bands, hip-hop, metal, anything, but everything. I won't give examples because it's more fun for you to sit there and think about what bands fit that description.

Then as the blast radius increases, it covers an exponentially larger audience but in doing so it gets diluted and assimilated so it morphs more and more to resemble it's audiences expectations.

Oh I thought of an example 'cause I was talking about bass amps before...

If you took RHCP and Primus, I'd put Primus closer to ground zero than RHCP. Both bands known for really cool bass playing, but RHCP are far more widely known and radio friendly.