PDA

View Full Version : Guns Guns and more Guns!

Justaguyin_nc
June 9th, 2008, 06:11 PM
My latest toy outside the music arena...
.22lr Henry GoldenBoy...wooohooo..
what a hoot to shoot..
Very smoothe action..
if you like plinking..get your hands on one..
very well made here in the ole U.S.A.!
GrandKids love it!

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h004_goldenboy.cfm

think Im gonna try one of the 17 hmr Varmint rifles next!!

:AOK:

just strum
June 9th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I thought you were referring to the USPS theme song.:D

Robert
June 9th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Is a weapon a toy?

street music
June 9th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I've been thinking of selling a couple of my guns to buy more guitars, could be my next big move. I'll keep the 9mm just for intruders and maybe the 12ga riot gun.

Justaguyin_nc
June 9th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Is a weapon a toy?

Ofcourse... back in MY day... Plinking with a .22 was a great sport..
OMG... it's not my day anymore.. throw them all away...
run and hide from them..
Let's just let the bad guys have them!!

lol.. plinking is a hobby.. and a .22 is a toy.. that needs to be explained in it's use...

Adult gun users knew what I meant...

Yes, I know how to explain them to kids.. something alot of people have forgotten how to do.

wayyyyyyyyyy cooooool x10

just strum
June 9th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Is a weapon a toy?

No, but they are fun when used properly and the fact that Justaguyin has the grand kids shooting my assumption is there is a lot of safety discussion before anyone pulls a trigger.

I was raised in a poor neighborhood (everytime I hear something like that I think of Steve Martin). Anyway we use to stick 22 rifles down our pant leg and go underneath this bridge and shoot rats the size of cats. No safety discussion, but it was a blast.

My uncle is a big gun advocate, but I tell you what, no one gets near them without a discussion about safety.

Is a gun a toy? Yes, in a sense that it can be entertaining and it is a developed skill to be good at using one. Remember, any toy can become a weapon. I'm much more fearful of a drunk behind the wheel of a car, than I am a responsible person with a gun.

Edit: Justaguyin posted while I was writing, it's good to see I was accurate.

Childbride
June 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM
i was taught to shoot as a teenager, and you had to learn The Rules. i learned at my grandparents' ranch with a 410, and gun respect was utmost. you had to be ready to shoot wild boar... i was never the hunter type. but i respect hunters.

i've owned many in my lifetime, but the one that was the Abso-Most fav to shoot was a 50 cal Desert Eagle. [my second fav was an M1grand, man, is that sucker accurate]

i used to go to a shooting range in south austin back in the early 90's, and my ex made some smarty pants bet about me not being able to hit the target.

i got it dead on every shot...

then turned around to hear someone ask why my forehead was bleeding...

the gas assist from that sucker kicked the shells back into my forehead and i was too focused to even notice. ;)

Justaguyin_nc
June 9th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Lol, I can understand focused...

back in cowboy action shooting dauz.. the first day with the double barrel..

I shot it half the day.. that night... all bruised from the shoulder to my tit.. ummm pecs...

Never felt it till morning though..:)

Such a rush...

Never fired a Desert Eagle.. hope to someday..

just strum
June 9th, 2008, 07:08 PM
The funniest thing is to yell "take cover" around Shiner.

Tone2TheBone
June 9th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Those Henry's are fine toys uh weapons. ;) Seriously I've always wanted one and in a .22 it would probably be affordable but I still want a new Ruger 10/22 in stainless steel...although that Henry in .22 Long Rifle is giving me gas. My old Marlin Model 60 is ready for retirement.

street music
June 9th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Desrt Eagles are wicked guns to shoot, I don't own one but Ive seen what they feel like and what they can do. My Ruger 9mm is my favorite pistol and my Savage 270 is my favorite rifle.

Algonquin
June 9th, 2008, 09:01 PM
http://www.demopolislive.com/gallery/images/1/1_the_right_to_bear_arms.jpghttp://www.bauckmanfinearts.com/photos/Bear.jpg

Justaguyin_nc
June 10th, 2008, 09:05 AM
My old Marlin Model 60 is ready for retirement.

Memories..Marlin/Glenfield 60...
anyone aged 50-70 should have had one of these sometime in their life if they plinked alot...
that was a neat cheap lil .22.
I believe mine went to my youngest boy many years ago.

Tone, you would love the cycling action of these golden boy .22's...
just a pleasure to hold and shoot.

sumitomo
June 11th, 2008, 08:54 PM
My parole officer said to me more more guns or bombs for you Sumi :nono: :D

Epiphone
June 12th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Those 17 hmr varmint rifles are real good. ive shot them before and never had a problem with them.

Justaguyin_nc
June 12th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Those 17 hmr varmint rifles are real good. ive shot them before and never had a problem with them.

The explosive effects this round delivers really is impressive.
Actually a pretty modern load.. 2001?

n_ZzaupQl_c

Although the ammo does not qualify for cheap plinking. about $18.00 for box 50 after taxes etc.

Since 2004? They have a Mach II out in .17 which is the 22lr slimmed down to .17 instead of the Magnum .22..
seems to have the same effects... and costs alot less. about $4.00 for box of 50.
Fewer rifles are available though in this cal.

Exploding bottles and cans does make for smiles while plinking.

The 22lr would just go through these.. the .17 fragments on impact..
which also makes it a safer round for plinking when ya think about it.

WackyT
June 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM
That video above made me immediately think of this clip from "The Jerk".

He hates these cans! (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2129030/6722129)

That looks like a great plinker rifle Justaguy! The one that caught my eye was the .357/.38 Big Boy (http://www.henryrepeating.com/h006_bigboy.cfm).

http://www.henryrepeating.com/images/rifles/h006_bigboy_lg.jpg

Just as an FYI, for those who are a bit confused over what the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States says and means:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Definitions:

Bear: to have and be entitled to: to bear title. (Not Yogi & Booboo.)
Arms: weapons, esp. firearms. (Not what is attached to your shoulders.)

Bloozcat
June 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Now, what the guy in the video really needed to try, was a few 2-liter plastic soda bottles filled with warm water, red dye, and some baking soda. Just throw them on the black bed liner in the pickup bed and drive to the range with them bouncing around back there. On a nice warm day, they'd be ready to burst all on their own. When a high velocity bullet hits it, all you see is a cloud of red mist...:D

ZMAN
June 12th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Robert: A word to the wise. Don't go there. I learned a long time ago. To leave that one alone.

Robert
June 12th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Go where?

Tone2TheBone
June 12th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Memories..Marlin/Glenfield 60...
anyone aged 50-70 should have had one of these sometime in their life if they plinked alot...
that was a neat cheap lil .22.
I believe mine went to my youngest boy many years ago.

Tone, you would love the cycling action of these golden boy .22's...
just a pleasure to hold and shoot.

It's kinda like choosing between a Les Paul or a Strat huh. :)

ZMAN
June 12th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Robert:I try not to get into a discussion about guns, with our friends from the US.
We have such restrictied access to them we can't relate to to how many people actually have several guns especially hand guns down there. Don't get me wrong I have hunted all my life but I haven't even touched a hand gun. That is what I meant by don't go there. I was going on your question about a weapon being a toy.

TS808
June 12th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Robert:I try not to get into a discussion about guns, with our friends from the US.
We have such restrictied access to them we can't relate to to how many people actually have several guns especially hand guns down there. Don't get me wrong I have hunted all my life but I haven't even touched a hand gun. That is what I meant by don't go there. I was going on your question about a weapon being a toy.

Down here, purchasing a handgun is not just walking into a shop, and then walking out. There are background checks and a waiting period before you can purchase a handgun. I'm a handgun owner too, as was my father and grandfather, and safety and responsibility were ALWAYS the first things taught.

I've only used my handgun at a firing range, and hopefully that will be the only time I use it.

Robert
June 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Ahh, don't worry ZMAN, I can tell where there is a difference.

Justaguyin_nc
July 9th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Wow what a company.... Henry Repeating Arms big thumbs up!

I registered that Golden Boy online recently...

I sent an email telling the company it's a great rifle and smooth action.
I then had to let them know there was a "slight" scratch on one side of the stock, but seeing I was going to hang it the other way it didn't bother me to much, but did bother me at the price I paid.

The Pres. Sends me an email.. new front and rear stocks in the mail for FREE!

That's a truelly American made , Product proud company for ya!!

I recieved the stocks yesterday in the mail..

they even included the Brass Butt plate on the new stock!

Im buying another gun from them even if I don't need one!

Most excellent!!

What a sweet TOY!!!

Kazz
July 9th, 2008, 04:23 AM
ahh the fond memories of shooting with my ex fil. He had a Ruger Redhawk Stainless with the 7 1/2" barrel...that thing is a cannon...and of all the guys in his family who have been shooting all their lives....he being over 60...and I were the only ones who could fire that gun with accuracy....all the nephews were afraid of it.....

To date my favorite shooter was his 30/30 that I learned how to deer hunt with.....and pinking cans at 300 yards uphill with that was a lot of fun.

I had a 22lr when I was a kid but did not have anyone around that would take me shooting so I got rid of it.....big mistake.

Lost my 9mm Ruger in the first divorce....

ted s
July 9th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Here is my latest aquirement..
http://goshopping.thestar.com/ss/media/27813000/27813543.jpg

just strum
July 9th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Here is my latest aquirement..
http://goshopping.thestar.com/ss/media/27813000/27813543.jpg

You have a permit to carry that?

Robert
July 9th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Here's mine. I use it for hunting aliens.

http://www.chinasiaproducts.com/products/04251%20water%20gun.jpg

ted s
July 9th, 2008, 05:31 PM
You have a permit to carry that?

yup, but it's a beotch to conceal :D

mechanic
July 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I live in Canada.

All of these took me 8 months a piece to clear all paperwork/licencing requirements before I could take possesion of them.
Eric

just strum
July 9th, 2008, 05:52 PM
yup, but it's a beotch to conceal :D

Plus if it starts to leak, it will look like you peed your pants. Not a good look around the ladies.

just strum
July 9th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Here's mine

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/gun.jpg

ted s
August 12th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Any experienced handgun owners care to share your opinion on hardware please PM me, I have ?
thanks

Jimi75
August 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Does gun talk really belong here? In such critical and sensitive times? Please don't get me wrong, it's your decision, but with gun threads most of the folks I know would feel a little "something's wrong here, ain't it?", if you know what I mean.

SuperSwede
August 13th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I dont see a problem with this thread, its in the open mic and the rules doesnt rule out (ha ha) these kind of discussions.

MichaelE
August 13th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Any experienced handgun owners care to share your opinion on hardware please PM me, I have ?
thanks

Walther, SIG-Sauer, H&K. The only three I allow in the house. The P-35 Hi- Power is here by special invitation.

Perfect Stranger
August 13th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Wow, when I used to go to the shooting range all I ever shot was targets and old DVDs. Never thought to take a bag of groceries. :thwap:

deeaa
August 13th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Them Henrys sure look nice.

Can't think of any use for one, though.

I have a .22 ruger with a silencer and a dot sight for steel shooting and fun, then a .40 1911 Para-Ordnance w/19 cap mag for IPSC shooting (major standard class) which is my main shooting hobby, and a 9mm Glock for same purpose (production class) and a 6.35 miniature gun which is just a heirlom...then I have some air guns and for a rifle I have a 7.6253R sniper Mosin-Nagant (russian military rifle) from 1944 which I use for elk hunting.

I make a point of never getting a new gun unless I have a good use for it.

When I get more money I'm getting, probably a Bushmaster, AR-15 .223 16" barrel, 100 round barrel mags and a decent scope for it. OR if I come accross a good and cheap one, I might settle for an AK-47 7.62. And maybe in distant future some semiauto shotgun with a barrel magazine so I'm set for 3 gun matches.

But that's gonna be sometime in the future.

ted s
August 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Apparently Para's largest NA facility is right here in Canada, north of Toronto.

deeaa
August 13th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Walther, SIG-Sauer, H&K. The only three I allow in the house. The P-35 Hi- Power is here by special invitation.

All good guns, but none can hold a candle in IPSC to STI, SVI and Para-Ordnance. 1911/2011 types are simply way better than anything else out there in IPSC.

There's always a few who start off in our club with H&K or Beretta or sometimes even Walther or SIG but they all switch to 2011 sooner or later.

bigoldron
August 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
i got it dead on every shot...

That reminded me about the fact that females tend to be more accurate than males in shooting skills. About 20 years ago, I was in a local civic group that decided to have a marksmanship class for kids using air rifles (BB guns as we always called them...).

We had about 15 kids or so, all boys except for 1 girl. Most of the boys had been shooting for a while, but the girl had never held a gun, must less shot it. Anyway, she wound up beating all the rest. She was a natural shooter, but didn't give a hoot in a handbasket about it. Oh well, was her attitude.

Kind of like some of these really young shredders who don't think it's a big deal to play like they do. Life just ain't fair...

Childbride
August 14th, 2009, 07:14 PM
That reminded me about the fact that females tend to be more accurate than males in shooting skills. About 20 years ago, I was in a local civic group that decided to have a marksmanship class for kids using air rifles (BB guns as we always called them...).

We had about 15 kids or so, all boys except for 1 girl. Most of the boys had been shooting for a while, but the girl had never held a gun, must less shot it. Anyway, she wound up beating all the rest. She was a natural shooter, but didn't give a hoot in a handbasket about it. Oh well, was her attitude.

Kind of like some of these really young shredders who don't think it's a big deal to play like they do. Life just ain't fair...

it's been a few years since i've regularly target practiced, but i do give a hoot about it. ;)

just in case the ex forgets. :D :D :D

[edit: ted... i haven't shot regularly in some time. but i dug a sig 226 and a beretta 9.]

vroomery
August 14th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I've gotten into shooting over the last year or so. Haven't had the money to buy anything because my guitar hobby takes priority over a gun hobby. Once the funds become available I hope to get a sig 229 chambered in .40. I wouldn't mind having a decent 1911 either.

Fortunately I know some people that have put a good bit of time and money into guns so I've been able to shoot some pretty neat guns.

.460 S&W revolver
http://www.pheasantridgeguns.com/images/sw500.jpg

.44 Desert Eagle
http://img.redwolfairsoft.com/upload/product/img/DIGICON-EAGLE-44MAG-6INCH-L.jpg

Those were two of the most fun. I've also shot a Springfield M1A match, AK-47, and an AR-15. All of which were pretty awesome. It's amazing how quickly you can go through a 20 round mag in an AK. Once you pull the trigger its hard to stop haha.

MichaelE
August 14th, 2009, 09:22 PM
All good guns, but none can hold a candle in IPSC to STI, SVI and Para-Ordnance. 1911/2011 types are simply way better than anything else out there in IPSC.

There's always a few who start off in our club with H&K or Beretta or sometimes even Walther or SIG but they all switch to 2011 sooner or later.

I used to shoot IDPA competition and the Walther's SIG's and H&K's do a fine job. They aren't race guns, just practical, reliable defence weapons.

marnold
August 15th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I was watching tosh.0 on Comedy Central on Thursday. He had a bunch of clips of people who were shooting guns but obviously had never been shown how. A couple of people looked like they were going to get cracked skulls from the kick-back. Learn to use it safely first!

just strum
August 15th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Learn to use it safely first!

am-Qdx6vky0

deeaa
August 15th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I used to shoot IDPA competition and the Walther's SIG's and H&K's do a fine job. They aren't race guns, just practical, reliable defence weapons.

Sure they are. I used to shoot a H&K USP Expert for instance quite a lot, it was an OK gun. I also tried the regular USP but its trigger pull was so bad it was nigh unusable. I have tried SIG's very little but they seem very good - only expensive, and they are sometimes even too heavy which gives them a weird balance for rapid shooting.

Still, 2011 / 1911 are just excellent in that kind of shooting. That H&K for instance...way too high slide so fast aiming is hard. Too complicated and slow safeties. Not the most ergonomical gun either.

IMO there's only one semiauto pistol I'd say was really really reliable is Glock. That also has some problems - bad factory sights and a bit too square a grip for smaller handed people, plus the trigger pull is unique feeling and needs getting used to. But it's the only gun I know will fire tens of thousands of times, won't rust or jam or anything. This about the 9mm G17 or G19. I had a G35 (.40S&W) for a few years and that was VERY much not a reliable gun - needed exact right ammo to work well.

IDPA IPSC etc. are pretty similar I think.

pes_laul
August 15th, 2009, 12:02 PM
My late grandfather was a big gun man. (He was in like two wars so he oughta be) but he always taught me the safeties and everything of shooting and I've actually become quite the shot. I think my favorite one to shoot is probably either the 22. ruger pistol or this one http://world.guns.ru/handguns/sw_610.jpg I'm not the best shot but it's a fun gun.

ibanezjunkie
August 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
there are some pretty stoopid laws on weapons in this country, even imitation (BB, air rifles, airsoft) have to be painted a fluro colour under the UKARA act.

my uncle still managed to own several 9mm pistols, a bunch of 6 shooters (including a vintage smith and wessen) and a sniper rifle of some sort.

i need to get me a german Mauser, or a Winchester. something better than an american springfield though.

M29
August 15th, 2009, 04:02 PM
American Springfield...You can send that one my way if you don't care for it......:smile-us: That rifle will do just fine:drool:

Kazz
August 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Myself I like the Ruger P89

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/images/Products/212L.jpg

Also like the Ruger Redhawk 44 Magnum

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/images/Products/54L.jpg

just strum
August 15th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I like this one.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/ES335VS_m.jpg

MichaelE
August 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
What caliber does that come in?

just strum
August 16th, 2009, 06:51 AM
What caliber does that come in?

.335 six shooter.

wingsdad
August 22nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
I'm not into guns. In fact, I hate them. So I know next to nothing about them.

What can any of you gun-mavens out there tell me about this one?

All I know is it's a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II.

What caliber is it?
What's it's main intended use? Target Shooting? Self Defense?
How powerful is it?
How accurate is it?
How many shots does a clip hold?
Why would someone feel they need to have 4 loaded clips of ammo? (it's got 1 in and 3 on the side)
Why would someone leave it loaded, with the safety off, without a gun lock on it, in an unlocked case, on the top shelf of a bedroom closet instead of in a locked safe?
Does it take much strength to lift it, aim it, fire it?
If a 6-year old girl got her hands on it, could she pull the trigger?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ATT00013.jpg

Thanks for your help.

deeaa
August 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
I'm not into guns. In fact, I hate them. So I know next to nothing about them.

What can any of you gun-mavens out there tell me about this one?

All I know is it's a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II.

What caliber is it?

-.45 ACP. It's a derivative of a Colt 1911 pistol (commander model) which is still THE gun for lots of pistol racing sports etc.

-Self defense. I would have no use for it. It is too light-framed for my sport which requires MANY many rounds per year, also short-slide/barrel is less than ideal, and also .45 which is too expensive and too powerful/kicks.

How powerful is it?

.-45 ACP is plenty powerful. It's a slow heavy bullet designed to stop an attacker very effectively. Used to be the main military sidearm.

How accurate is it?

-Accurate enough to hit a man-sized target easily at maybe 40 yards or so. --Not for longer shots really. one to 25 metres is ideal.

-Looks like that's a single-stack, so seven.

Why would someone feel they need to have 4 loaded clips of ammo? (it's got 1 in and 3 on the side)

-Well, it's only 7 per clip. In my shooting discipline one quick 'stage' of racing might have a minimum shots count of 32. And you may have to fire a few extra if you miss a few or hit them less than perfectly.

-I always carry 4 clips on me; start every stage with 18 in clip one in barrel, and the next 2 mags have only 17 in them, and the last 16. Sometimes that's not enough and you run out of ammo anyway in the middle of the race.

-One one-day competition might require anything from 90 to 300 shots.

Why would someone leave it loaded, with the safety off, without a gun lock on it, in an unlocked case, on the top shelf of a bedroom closet instead of in a locked safe?

- They're being stupid.

No. It weighs under a kilo loaded. Triggers are usually very light.

- If it was left with a loaded chamber, it'd be really easy. Even if safety on, on 1911 the safety is designed so it practically comes off when you start to aim, fingers hit it just right. If it had a full full clip an inexperienced shooter probably would also fire a second shot right off due to kickback/surprise/reflex .

IF it the chamber is empty, then it requires perhaps more power than a 6-year old could muster, and/or technique to pull back the slide and release it again to load the chamber.

Thanks for your help.

Well hope it helps.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY should keep guns in the house openly like that, let alone loaded.

Mine stay locked in the basement behind two locks and usually also taken apart, nowhere near loaded. I never carry my guns anywhere but shooting tracks, and if someone broke in my house I would not even consider getting my gun, I'd grab a poker or a bat or whatever.

p.s. sorry abot putting my answers in the quote part...

wingsdad
August 22nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
p.s. sorry abot putting my answers in the quote part...

Actually, that really helped putting the answers right with the questions...thanks for taking the time to give me some really good, insightful answers & feedback, deeaa.:)

What caliber is it?

-.45 ACP. It's a derivative of a Colt 1911 pistol (commander model) which is still THE gun for lots of pistol racing sports etc.

-Self defense. I would have no use for it. It is too light-framed for my sport which requires MANY many rounds per year, also short-slide/barrel is less than ideal, and also .45 which is too expensive and too powerful/kicks.

How powerful is it?

.-45 ACP is plenty powerful. It's a slow heavy bullet designed to stop an attacker very effectively. Used to be the main military sidearm.

How accurate is it?

-Accurate enough to hit a man-sized target easily at maybe 40 yards or so. --Not for longer shots really. one to 25 metres is ideal.

-Looks like that's a single-stack, so seven.

-Well, it's only 7 per clip. In my shooting discipline one quick 'stage' of racing might have a minimum shots count of 32. And you may have to fire a few extra if you miss a few or hit them less than perfectly.

-I always carry 4 clips on me; start every stage with 18 in clip one in barrel, and the next 2 mags have only 17 in them, and the last 16. Sometimes that's not enough and you run out of ammo anyway in the middle of the race.

-One one-day competition might require anything from 90 to 300 shots.

- They're being stupid.

No. It weighs under a kilo loaded. Triggers are usually very light.

- If it was left with a loaded chamber, it'd be really easy. Even if safety on, on 1911 the safety is designed so it practically comes off when you start to aim, fingers hit it just right. If it had a full full clip an inexperienced shooter probably would also fire a second shot right off due to kickback/surprise/reflex .

IF it the chamber is empty, then it requires perhaps more power than a 6-year old could muster, and/or technique to pull back the slide and release it again to load the chamber.

Dumb Question: If the loaded clip is in the gun, it won't fire unless you first pull that slide thingy back to get the first shot from the clip into the chamber? then the rest of the clip would just follow automatically?

Another Dumb Question: What's 'ACP'? :confused:

So...I guess this particular gun isn't made for fun & games. Sounds to me like the person who owns it wants to be prepared to use it without a second to lose for a deadly purpose -- as in "shoot to kill".:whatever:

OK, gun lovers....anyone wanna answer this one? It's not a gun question, just a loaded one:

What would you do if you knew that 3 children aged 6, 6 & 2 have been ordered by the court to live 5 nights & 3 days a week with their father that owns this very gun and keeps it just as I described/asked...while he's locked in a divorce battle and is intent on trying to win sole physical & legal custody of those children from their mother?

deeaa
August 22nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
Actually, that really helped putting the answers right with the questions...thanks for taking the time to give me some really good, insightful answers & feedback, deeaa.:)

:AOK: I guess I'm so used to replying to emails this way it's hard not to do it...

Dumb Question: If the loaded clip is in the gun, it won't fire unless you first pull that slide thingy back to get the first shot from the clip into the chamber? then the rest of the clip would just follow automatically?

:AOK: That's correct, you have to pull back the slide all the way, and if you do it slowly it also hooks onto a latch and stays open too, until you press down a lever and it slaps shut and is ready to fire. If you do it quickly the latch won't catch. After first shot, the energy pushes the frame back and loads another into the chamber so all you need to do is pull the trigger again.

Another Dumb Question: What's 'ACP'? :confused:

:AOK: Automatic Colt Pistol. .45 was already used in 'winchester' type rifles, revolvers etc. and the cartridge was then changed to suit semi-auto action. Became the official military caliber in 1911 - hence these guns are known as Colt 1911 types. Now there's 2011 type as well, with a composite frame and certain modern modifications from STI/SVI etc. manufacturers.

So...I guess this particular gun isn't made for fun & games. Sounds to me like the person who owns it wants to be prepared to use it without a second to lose for a deadly purpose -- as in "shoot to kill".:whatever:

:AOK: I'd venture it's bought for security reasons, yes. While these guns are fun to shoot and all that, this particular one is extra light extra short, it's - as the name implies - meant to be easy to carry for personal protection. Plus the heavy caliber.

OK, gun lovers....anyone wanna answer this one? It's not a gun question, just a loaded one:

What would you do if you knew that 3 children aged 6, 6 & 2 have been ordered by the court to live 5 nights & 3 days a week with their father that owns this very gun and keeps it just as I described/asked...while he's locked in a divorce battle and is intent on trying to win sole physical & legal custody of those children from their mother?[/QUOTE]

Over here that would certainly be grounds to making a report to the police who would come and get the gun into their hands until further notice. It can happen pretty easily. They've taken away guns from for instance some workers who've been laid off work etc. at the request of the employer and so on; certainly in this case they would be very happy to get the gun from the guy. Plus it's already illegal to keep a gun like that, you'd have to have it locked away at all times when not going to track.

I myself would not like that situation, and would at least try my best to convince the guy to keep the gun safe if I couldn't report it to the authorities or gun laws were so lax as to allow such gunkeeping. At the very least it could be used as leverage in the custody battle.

But each case is different...in the event of a divorce, which I really doubt would ever happen, I would certainly do everything in my power to get the custody of my kids, and I'd hate to think my shooting hobby could be used as such leverage. I'd never use a gun to hurt anyone and I always make sure they're safe as can be.

MichaelE
August 23rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
For clarification, it is called a magazine. A clip is what you use to load a fixed magazine, typically in a rifle, but not a handgun.

I don't know how that nomenclature got started, but it is one of my biggest peeves when listening to people talk about firearms.

MAGAZINE.

vroomery
August 23rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
For clarification, it is called a magazine. A clip is what you use to load a fixed magazine, typically in a rifle, but not a handgun.

I don't know how that nomenclature got started, but it is one of my biggest peeves when listening to people talk about firearms.

MAGAZINE.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=270656

the main difference is that a clip is meant to be disposable and to be used on a machine gun