PDA

View Full Version : Best single coil & humbucker pickups for 80s hard rock & metal?

tremoloman
May 4th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Are there any good single coil pickups that offer the hard crunch that true humbuckers offer?

I've tried DiMarzio mini-humbuckers in my Powerhouse Strat. They sound decent clean and great with distortion, but they are way too noisy and feedback like mad. I'm hoping to find another solution, so if you have anything to offer on this subject I'd love to hear it!

I'd also like to hear from those who have found humbuckers that fit this bill as I'm rebuilding my Jagmaster and need some suggestions. So far, I'm looking at the Bill Lawrence L-500L for my bridge.

-tremoloman

Katastrophe
May 4th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Trem, I don't think you can go wrong with Seymour Duncan pickups. I have an Invader in my Ibanez, and it is outstanding for rock and metal. My old guitar teacher put a Hot Rails in his Strat, and it sounded fantastic through his Mesa/Boogie combo, although it was a bit brighter than my Invader. GFS makes cheaper facsimiles of both, but I have no experience with them. My other guitar player just bought a Jackson with EMGs, and I really enjoyed the sounds that I was able to get from that guitar, but again, they cost alotta $$$.

Spudman
May 4th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I know a lot of guys put a Duncan Little JB in their bridge position. It is a single coil sized full on humbucker.
I also think a Lawrence L500 is an awesome pickup. Full sized right?
Duncan makes a few others besides the JB in a single coil sized humbucker. Check their web site. They may even have some sound clips as well.

Tone2TheBone
May 16th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Tremoloman - Did you ever find your singlecoil/'bucker? I'm thinking of trying the JB Jr. in mine.

ZoSo65
May 16th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Check out RioGrande (http://www.riograndepickups.com/) pups.