PDA

View Full Version : Moving the Fret to new server - expect downtime

Robert
June 10th, 2008, 09:15 AM
The time has come for a new server. The Fret is putting serious load on our old server, so we are moving it to a new and faster server. The cost of backups with our current provider is getting expensive.
(See that Contribution button at the bottom of the page? :))

So you can expect probably a day or more of Fret.Net outage. Sorry for the inconvenience, but it has to be done.

Robert
June 11th, 2008, 04:54 PM
So we are back up again.

Hmm, wonder if anyone noticed we were gone ... :whatever: :D :D

Thanks for your patience, dear Fret Friends!

They monkeys we hired to do the move were mostly eating bananas and making funny sounds while staring blank. No wonder nothing got done.

duhvoodooman
June 11th, 2008, 04:57 PM
YES!! I noticed! Pretty quickly, too!

Now that the "move monkeys" are done, us regular monkeys can start posting again....

luvmyshiner
June 11th, 2008, 05:10 PM
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! I've been going through withdrawals.:flamemad: Thank God for alcohol to dull the pain.

"Hi . . . my name is Shiner . . . and I'm a fretaholic".

Robert
June 11th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I hope you all got the mass email I sent out about the downtime.

This server is MUCH better. Are you noticing it loading faster now, compared to when we had the Fret on the old server? It should load faster and be able handle a larger load much better now.

Good thing I didn't empty a case of beer, or the Fret would never had come back any time soon ... :D

Guitar Gal
June 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the hard work you do Robert to keep this place up and running :master: :master: :master:

GG

luvmyshiner
June 11th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Good thing I didn't empty a case of beer, or the Fret would never had come back any time soon ... :D

Just a case??? Pantywaist.:poke:

just strum
June 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM
So we are back up again.

Repeat after me:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/hypnosis.gif

I will never do that again, I will never do that again, I will never do that again, I will never...

But now you have to say it real fast to keep up with the new server:AOK:

Robert
June 11th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Good to see you guys can't function properly without the Fret. :D

warren0728
June 11th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hmm, wonder if anyone noticed we were gone ...
noticed....heck i almost went postal :messedup: :saw: :punch: :eek: but i'm much better now!

thanks for all the hard work rob! :master:

ww

player
June 11th, 2008, 06:20 PM
noticed....heck i almost went postal :messedup: :saw: :punch: :eek: but i'm much better now!

thanks for all the hard work rob! :master:

ww

know what you mean warren.attempting to get on with Sorry on it made me think thefret was going down the way I have seen others until I saw Robert's message about the downtime needed. whew! Thanks Robert:D

ted s
June 11th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Glad it's back up, I was jones'n fer my fret !

Spudman
June 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM
That was a really odd day out of my life. I didn't realize how, um, dependent I'd become.

Oh, I had to slow my mouse down because the new server is so fast.

duhvoodooman
June 11th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Oh, I had to slow my mouse down because the new server is so fast.
And those 3 minute YouTube clips posted here play in about 30 seconds....

Spudman
June 11th, 2008, 09:08 PM
And those 3 minute YouTube clips posted here play in about 30 seconds....

Really? That's gonna save a lot of time then.

sunvalleylaw
June 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM
That was a really odd day out of my life. I didn't realize how, um, dependent I'd become.

yeah, that was a little strange. The fret has definitely become my water cooler. Thanks for the work Hoss! :AOK:

SuperSwede
June 12th, 2008, 02:39 AM
We need to see some pics of the new server Robert :)

Robert
June 12th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Ok, here it is. State of the art.

The guy there is our commander in chief. These computer server thingies are very complicated, you know. They take a lot of space too.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/748512747912d7.gif (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=521)

Katastrophe
June 12th, 2008, 08:03 AM
So, where do you get the punch cards to run that thing? What tubes do you use for best output?

Spudman
June 12th, 2008, 08:12 AM
It looks like you have a large drive on that one, or steerer thingy or something. What does it do?

Robert
June 12th, 2008, 08:23 AM
That wheel is for directing people with GAS. When people with GAS issues sniff around thefret while not being a member, they are redirected to the registering form by our grand master chief with that wheel, so the they can suffer from GAS the legitimate way - by being a member here.

The tubes are EL84 for output and 12at7 for the preamp.

The punch cards are delivered by SuperSwede. He makes them by dancing frantically on top of special plastic boards, while wearing track spikes and his new strat. He then FedEXes the punch cards here.

M29
June 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Man is it getting deep around here:thwap:

M29

luvmyshiner
June 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Ok, here it is. State of the art.

The guy there is our commander in chief. These computer server thingies are very complicated, you know. They take a lot of space too.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/748512747912d7.gif (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=521)

Hey, isn't that the first portable computer made by Compaq?

Spudman
June 12th, 2008, 09:29 AM
That wheel is for directing people with GAS. When people with GAS issues sniff around thefret while not being a member, they are redirected to the registering form by our grand master chief with that wheel, so the they can suffer from GAS the legitimate way - by being a member here.

It appears then that becoming a member of thefret has a lot of advantages then.:)

Hey, isn't that the first portable computer made by Compaq?

That was the Jolly Green Giant's laptop.

bigoldron
June 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Just wanted to say that the new server WORKS! Man, these pages are popping up quicker than stuff through a goose! Keep up the good work guys!

duhvoodooman
June 12th, 2008, 09:53 AM
What tubes do you use for best output?
Big ol' NOS KT88's! 126 of 'em!! Just like THESE (http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-kt88.html)....

Spudman
June 12th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Big ol' NOS KT88's! 126 of 'em!! Just like THESE (http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-kt88.html)....

Cough, cough. Oh my! :eek:

SuperSwede
June 12th, 2008, 11:43 AM
The punch cards are delivered by SuperSwede. He makes them by dancing frantically on top of special plastic boards, while wearing track spikes and his new strat. He then FedEXes the punch cards here.

Ssshhh... you promised not to tell anyone...

Tim
June 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Now I know what a junky goes through during withdraw. I felt worthless not being able to check in of the Fret Net News. I for one am glad it is back. I was getting pretty lonely sitting back each evening drinking a beer and not able to check on my fellow and fellowet Fretters. Drinking alone is not good! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I just gotta say, I am glad it is back.

player
June 12th, 2008, 10:57 PM
It appears then that becoming a member of thefret has a lot of advantages then.:)

That was the Jolly Green Giant's laptop.
Yep Spud that is the critter(first computer)... great concept though if it was thefrets'.with technology today Blade servers seem to rule and they ain't cheap :D

pes_laul
June 13th, 2008, 02:20 PM
well I haven't noticed because my internet got shot by lighting (at my dads house right now) SO hows everybody doing? :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
June 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Pretty darn good. Nice to hear from you Kris!

pes_laul
June 13th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Pretty darn good. Nice to hear from you Kris!
thats good good, it's been a killer at my house the air conditioning and all the fans also got hit by lightning so it's really hot. though I got me a little kiddie pool:AOK: