PDA

View Full Version : Best distortion pedal for hard rock without being "metal"?

tremoloman
May 4th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Which pedals do you find work best for hard rock without being a full-blown metal pedal?

I need a good heavy crunching pedal that adds sensitivity to perform pinched harmonics and tapping easily without being too "metallic" or noisy. I currently use a DOD Death Metal for 80s sovers which works decent but has way too much treble. Even running through a Boss EQ cannot tone down this beast.

Here's some of the songs we're doing, so you can get an idea of what I'm looking for:

Ozzy Osbourne (Crazy Train, Over The Mountain, Flying High Again)
Ratt (Lay It Down, Round and Round)
Skid Row (Monkey Business, I Remember You, Youth Gone Wild)
Van Halen (Ain't Talking About Love, Hot For Teacher, Somebody Get Me A Doctor)If you can offer any suggestions I'd love to hear 'em!

Thanks in advace,
tremoloman

SuperSwede
May 4th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I havent played much hard rock, but I had a Boss Turbo Overdrive that was glorious when you wanted those sounds. More drive than you need in that one!

tot_Ou_tard
May 4th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I've heard this phrase many times. Just what exactly are pinched harmonics?

Spudman
May 4th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Trem
You have to check out the Radial Tonebone Hot British pedal! I've had mine for about a week and have been pretty busy with work so I'm just getting around to messing with it.
So far I have tried many of the diagram settings in the manual and they are spot on. My own settings are really nice too. It is very, very versatile and uses a tube to get the crunch. All I have to say is that its pretty amazing. I'm going to use it at a gig this Saturday and will post a review after a thorough workout. Can you say "sustain for days?"
Just messing on my own I've found out that I can sound like almost any British tube amp and any British tube amp modified/hot rodded! Shazam! Smokin!
If you can find a store that has one I recommend that you check it out.

Spudman
May 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Pinched harmonics are a false harmonic created when you kit the string with your pick and the edge of your thumb or finger at the same time. There is a good example in the middle of one of the first verses in 'Hotel California' and the solo on La Grange. Billy uses them often.

tot_Ou_tard
May 4th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Trem
You have to check out the Radial Tonebone Hot British pedal! I've had mine for about a week and have been pretty busy with work so I'm just getting around to messing with it.
So far I have tried many of the diagram settings in the manual and they are spot on. My own settings are really nice too. It is very, very versatile and uses a tube to get the crunch. All I have to say is that its pretty amazing. I'm going to use it at a gig this Saturday and will post a review after a thorough workout. Can you say "sustain for days?"
Just messing on my own I've found out that I can sound like almost any British tube amp and any British tube amp modified/hot rodded! Shazam! Smokin!
If you can find a store that has one I recommend that you check it out.
Have you heard of the Duncan Twin Tube? I'd like to try that out.

tot_Ou_tard
May 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Pinched harmonics are a false harmonic created when you kit the string with your pick and the edge of your thumb or finger at the same time. There is a good example in the middle of one of the first verses in 'Hotel California' and the solo on La Grange. Billy uses them often.
So what is a false harmonic? I know some physics & never heard the term before. I'll give a listen to those tunes.

duhvoodooman
May 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Pinched harmonics are a false harmonic created when you kit the string with your pick and the edge of your thumb or finger at the same time. There is a good example in the middle of one of the first verses in 'Hotel California' and the solo on La Grange....
....and any of a number of Roy Buchanan tunes. Roy was the acknowledged master of the pinch harmonic.