PDA

View Full Version : George Benson instructional DVD

jpfeifer
June 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I was in Guitar Center a few days ago buying some strings and acquiring new GAS for things that I probably don't need :-), when I stumbled upon this instructional DVD that I'd never seen before.

The company called "Hot Licks" is re-releasing some of thier old titles on DVD now that were previously harder to find on VHS. I picked up this one by George Benson, and I've got to say it's one of the most incredible instructional DVD's I've ever seen. Its called "George Benson: The Art of Jazz Guitar"

This DVD was shot in George's home. It's just him with a guitar, playing through tons of examples in his living room, and explaining what he is trying to do with each one, talking about how he developed his style, etc.

George is not necessarily the best teacher, as he seems to have some difficultly explaining exactly what he does, since so much of what he plays is so unconcious that he isn't really thinking about it too much. But he plays his butt off and shows loads of great examples. He makes it look so easy. Great lines just seems to flow from his fingers.

My favorite part of the DVD is that they provide a way to slow down every example to half-speed so that you can learn what he is doing by watching his hands and copying the lines.

He plays a solo arrangement of the tune "Tenderly" that really shows off his knowledge of chord substitution as well as tons of cool lines. This example alone is worth the price of this DVD. What a monster player!

If you've ever wanted to sit with George Benson in his living room for an hour, watch him play guitar and talk about how he developed his style, then this DVD is for you.

Here is a link to a place where you can buy this DVD online:
http://www.amazon.com/George-Benson-Art-Jazz-Guitar/dp/B000E6FVWW

-- Jim

Robert
June 11th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Awesome, thanks for telling us about this one! Benson is one of the great jazz guitarists I think. He has so much talent in himself, it's just amazing. Some of the older stuff I've heard from his is fantastic; not just himself but the whole groups he played with were swinging like nuthin else.

This would be a great inspirational DVD - thanks again for the tip!