http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/1954_0-1.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/1231_1.jpg

just strum
June 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
a pic of the injury

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/DSCF3786.jpg

just strum
June 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM
No opinions? Well, I'll give you mine in a few days, I just bought it for $91 - I actually wanted to pay $100.01 because I have a coupon for $20 off on anything over $100.

duhvoodooman
June 11th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Indonesian-made '04 Squier Strat? Where did you buy it from?

BTW, you might want to allow more than 27 minutes between query & purchase, if you really want opinions! ;)

Spudman
June 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Affinity Squier most likely. The Standards have a 2 post tremolo as far as I know. The way to tell is to measure the thickness of the body and compare the overall size to a Standard Strat. If your new one is thinner and smaller then it probably is an Affinity.

just strum
June 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Indonesian-made '04 Squier Strat? Where did you buy it from?

E-bay - zeb_is_a_dork

BTW, you might want to allow more than 27 minutes between query & purchase, if you really want opinions! ;)

New server, I thought I would get quicker responses.:D

I figured I could use it as my guinea pig to experiment with. The guy has a 100% rating with 60+ transactions, so I figure it has to at least play. I also noticed he sold a guitar to a guy I recently sold my last acoustic to, not that it means anything. Maybe it will be a Six Degrees of Strum.

just strum
June 11th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Affinity Squier most likely. The Standards have a 2 post tremolo as far as I know. The way to tell is to measure the thickness of the body and compare the overall size to a Standard Strat. If your new one is thinner and smaller then it probably is an Affinity.

junk?

I also thought it was strange that it had no marking on the face of the headstock, I had never seen that before. If it's decent, cool. If not, it's only $91

duhvoodooman
June 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Maybe it will be a Six Degrees of Strum.
:rotflmao: That's funny.

Tell me about that $20 coupon. I wasn't aware eBay did coupons, though admittedly I'm locally famous for my general obliviousness....

just strum
June 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM
:rotflmao: That's funny.

Tell me about that $20 coupon. I wasn't aware eBay did coupons, though admittedly I'm locally famous for my general obliviousness....

well I found it was for a tech purchase only - TV, radio...

But every once in awhile I get a discount coupon if I spend X amount of money, I get X amount off if I use PayPal. Most times I pay no attention to them since I don't want to buy just so I can take advantage of a coupon.

duhvoodooman
June 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM
junk?
Well, the Affinity Strats I've seen are only $100 new, so you may have overpaid, if that's what it is. But let's not rush to judgment (faster server notwithstanding). See what it looks, feels and plays like when it shows up. And if you don't like it then....well, there's always eBay! :D

EDIT: I see the Affinity Strats at MF are $150, but I saw several at my local GC for $100 a few months back. Prolly on sale....

just strum
June 11th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Well, the Affinity Strats I've seen are only $100 new, so you may have overpaid, if that's what it is. But let's not rush to judgment (faster server notwithstanding). See what it looks, feels and plays like when it shows up. And if you don't like it then....well, there's always eBay! :D

EDIT: I see the Affinity Strats at MF are $150, but I saw several at my local GC for $100 a few months back. Prolly on sale....

I'll do the old cigarette burn on the headstock and resell it.

Spudman
June 11th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Some of the Affinity's play and resonate really well. Of course they cut costs with lower grade electronics and tuners but sometimes they are pretty good overall. Even the thinner bodies can resonate very nicely and most of the clear finish models are made from usually 3 to 5 pieces of alder. The solid finishes use a variety of woods including agathis and basswood. Still if it looks like a guitar and plays like a guitar then it probably is a guitar.:)

just strum
June 11th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Some of the Affinity's play and resonate really well. Of course they cut costs with lower grade electronics and tuners but sometimes they are pretty good overall. Even the thinner bodies can resonate very nicely and most of the clear finish models are made from usually 3 to 5 pieces of alder. The solid finishes use a variety of woods including agathis and basswood. Still if it looks like a guitar and plays like a guitar then it probably is a guitar.:)

What do you make of the blank headstock?

duhvoodooman
June 11th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Still if it looks like a guitar and plays like a guitar then it probably is a guitar.
Now I ask you--where else but TheFret can you tap into wisdom & insight like THAT?!? ;)

What do you make of the blank headstock?
Intentionally removed is my guess. Some people just can't stand anyone knowing that it's not a "real" Fender. Foolishness, I say....

Katastrophe
June 12th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Congrats, Strum!

It looks like the neck is birdseye maple. To my knowledge, that's not common on an Affinity Strat.

What you may have there is a Partscaster made with an aftermarket neck, which could be a cool find. Once it comes in, take the neck off and check. If it's aftermarket, it'll say "Licensced by Fender," or have a brand name burned into the neck. It is odd that there isn't a decal on the front, but a serial number and Fender logo on the back.

If it is indeed a Partscaster, pull off the pickguard and check the pups. You may have ended up with someone's modding project, with some cool parts!

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I think that neck is cool looking. Might be a sleeper anyhow.

just strum
June 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I think that neck is cool looking. Might be a sleeper anyhow.

The blank headstock has me puzzled.

I tried to back out of the deal and never heard back from the guy.

Oh well, I'll check it out and use it as my experimental guitar.

Will give free pups and pots a good home:D

Spudman
June 12th, 2008, 10:49 AM
It's really common for people to take off the decals from the face of the headstock just because they don't want people to think they are dweebs for playing a Squier. You'll know more once you get it. The neck could either be from a Standard or an Affinity.

mechanic
June 15th, 2008, 06:19 PM
It's really common for people to take off the decals from the face of the headstock just because they don't want people to think they are dweebs for playing a Squier.

I've never understood why people think like that.
Jeff Healey played a Squier didn't he?

just strum
June 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Ok, guitar arrived today.

First impression: Dirty, I mean dirrttyyyy. Fretboard - dirty, Body - dirty, Strings - old and dirty, pick guard - dirty around the entire edge, knobs - filthy dirty.

Playability: needs adjusting for action, but everything is straight and looks decent.

Sound: I think it's not bad, has great sustain for a cheap guitar. The pick-ups sound good and do a good job of picking up all the strings - no fade out on any of the strings and the pick-ups are actually set lower than the Squier Deluxe. Once I get new strings on it (tomorrow) and set the action I will have a better idea.

There is no crackling of a short or dirt on any of the knows or the switch.

Right now I would say for $91 it isn't too bad, at least not money down the drain. The seller is sending me a check for $15 on the overcharge for shipping.

A few quick shots

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture289.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture291.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture290-1.jpg

Tone E
June 20th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Seems good to me.

I didn't think the lower end squiers like affinitys had skunk stripes. My standard doesn't so yours may be a deluxe?