PDA

View Full Version : Nervous as He**

Childbride
June 11th, 2008, 08:37 PM
not sure that this belongs here, but i'm making a stab at it.

so my gig is next thursday. i went to my lesson last night and got my final set list... granted, i'm playing a nursing home. but i'm a perfectionist, and backup lead on the entire set, and teach switched up the list and gave me two new songs to learn between now and next week.

i think i need to go and get gram to sit in on the gig. i think if i can look out there and see her, i will be able to calm down and do my thing.

what say ye? y'all have a ton of gigging experience, and i haven't performed since uil in hs. never on guitar.

this sound like a good idea?

k

Spudman
June 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Just play notes above the12th fret...they can't hear them anyway and they will think you are spectacular.;)

I was in the post office today and they have a counter beeper to alert the help if someone is standing at the counter. This guy that was a candidate for a nursing home just stood in the beam and the beep tone just kept going until I asked him if he could hear it. "Hear what?" is what he said.:D

I'm thankful I still have that frequency left.

Childbride
June 11th, 2008, 09:16 PM
[grin] i have to keep a straight face at gram's house, she can't hear much, she suffers from severe tinnitus and when the tv is on at her house you basically have to holler to get her to hear you.

i think i've made up my mind, for a very different reason that the original one.

my gram is going to be 90 on oct 3. she might not ever hear me do another guitar performance, other than the ones i do for her personally. i think it would be pretty nifty to have her hear my first public appearance. i know my mom would come, but she's working in va, and she can't make it.

it's a done deal. i'm going to get gram.

sink or swim, i think it will be a memorable thing. :D

six hours both ways to get her and take her home... having her at my opening gig... priceless. ;)

sunvalleylaw
June 11th, 2008, 09:17 PM
You could just look at your guitar and have the "I am going to drool on my guitar at any moment face", like I did on my last gig. :D (See gig report thread with pics)

Seriously, if that is what works for you, go for it. For me, I just have to keep busy before I start. Kind of like I need to keep to myself and read something like a paper or magazine before a big court hearing. Once I start, I am just playing. Seeing fam is nice for me, appreciated for sure, but almost distracting.

wingsdad
June 11th, 2008, 10:00 PM
... my gram is going to be 90 on oct 3. she might not ever hear me do another guitar performance, other than the ones i do for her personally. .... six hours both ways to get her and take her home... having her at my opening gig... priceless. ;)
:)

With your gram in the audience, you'll ace the gig, CB, fer sure. :cool:

I was gonna offer some lame-o 'conventional wisdom' about dealing with 'stagefright', like pretend everyone in the audience is in their underwear or nekked, but given the venue.... :eek:

warren0728
June 11th, 2008, 10:06 PM
you'll do great no matter who is in the audience....but if you want your gram there...she should be there! :AOK:

ww

Danzego
June 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Just play notes above the12th fret...they can't hear them anyway and they will think you are spectacular.;)

Ok, THAT was funny. :rotflmao:

Either that or they'll think the colsarn thang is broken. ;)

CB, I wouldn't worry too much. I've played gigs and, since going back to college, have had plenty of speeches to do and lessons to teach in front of classes. If you're anything like me, all that nervousness will amount to about 15 seconds of it at most once you start doing your thing.

Some advice from me, though, is to get your stuff set up early then walk around and chit chat for a bit with the people you're going to be performing for. I do that when I give those aforementioned speeches and it really really takes that edge right off. By the time you head up to play, it's like nothing at all. :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
June 11th, 2008, 10:27 PM
[grin] i have to keep a straight face at gram's house, she can't hear much, she suffers from severe tinnitus and when the tv is on at her house you basically have to holler to get her to hear you.

i think i've made up my mind, for a very different reason that the original one.

my gram is going to be 90 on oct 3. she might not ever hear me do another guitar performance, other than the ones i do for her personally. i think it would be pretty nifty to have her hear my first public appearance. i know my mom would come, but she's working in va, and she can't make it.

it's a done deal. i'm going to get gram.

sink or swim, i think it will be a memorable thing. :D

six hours both ways to get her and take her home... having her at my opening gig... priceless. ;)

Ok, that is a really good reason. Plus you will ace it anyway. Like Danzego said, 15 sec. in, you will be playing and it will be fine. You have done it in court a zillion times.

Katastrophe
June 12th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I don't have a ton of gigging experience, but here's some advice...

Bring your Gram to the show. She'll love it, and it'll be good to have a familiar face there.

Trust in your practicing. You know the material... this is just another practice with a few people watching.

The audience probably won't notice any mistakes. If you flub a note, recover and keep going.

Since you're playing at a nursing home, I would recommend against the ol' Pete Townshend "smash your guitar at the end of the show routine." Also, if any moshing or body surfing breaks out amongst the seniors, have the staff put some padding on the floor. Wouldn't want anyone to get hurt!:D

You'll do great, CB...:rockon: :AOK:

luvmyshiner
June 12th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I'm planning on being there as well. I wouldn't want any of those nursing home groupies trying to steal my lovely CB away. Now that she's a full blown rock goddess, I have to protect my investment.:AOK:

wingsdad
June 12th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Hey, 'Shiner.... don't forget the dark shades, a couple of glass doorknob rings, an empty rhinestone-studded cigarette holder, a flamboyant silk shirt unbuttoned to the waist to show off about 40 lbs. of 'gold' rope around your neck, white polyester slax, loafers without sox and to go around suggesting to the patrons to 'have your people call my people, let's do lunch, baby'. :poke: :)

luvmyshiner
June 12th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Hey, 'Shiner.... don't forget the dark shades, a couple of glass doorknob rings, an empty rhinestone-studded cigarette holder, a flamboyant silk shirt unbuttoned to the waist to show off about 40 lbs. of 'gold' rope around your neck, white polyester slax, loafers without sox and to go around suggesting to the patrons to 'have your people call my people, let's do lunch, baby'. :poke: :)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Hey, that sounds a lot like my "goin' to Court" clothes.:D

piebaldpython
June 12th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Ya gotta bring GRAM to your concert. Give her a cigarette lighter to, so that after you're done, Gram can stand up with the lighter lit to call you for an encore. :rotflmao: :poke:

warren0728
June 12th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I'm planning on being there as well.
some pics and video would be nice!! :AOK:

ww

Steve206
June 12th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Looks like tonight's the night??

Never having done this same thing, I think that half the work is even considering it. I look forward to the review and the thoughts that were raging around your brain. I see you getting Shiner up on stage in the near future. Call yourselves, "Lawyers, Guns and Money".

Steve

evenkeel
June 12th, 2008, 02:03 PM
CB,
My best advice. Have Fun. Seriously, enjoy yourself and the audience will do the same. Good on ya' :bravo: We'll be looking for a full report. :D

mrmudcat
June 12th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Very best of wishes tonight.Relax enjoy:beer:

Childbride
June 12th, 2008, 05:29 PM
y'all, it's next thursday. Juneteenth. [texan term] 7 pm, central time, in hewitt. [Kazz knows where that is... ;) ]

y'all are the greatest for your encouragement and support. i plan to give her heck, but i told Shiner he can only take pics this time, not record.

if my nerves at Pearl are any indication, i'm afraid i may gaffe badly, at least once. if i surprise myself and ace it b/c Gram is there, i see a lot more driving to pick her up for them in my future, and he can record them. :D :D :D

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2008, 05:37 PM
The other guys suggesting to have fun with it are right. Take the pressure off yourself to do it absolutely perfectly as you do in your best moment in practice. Sure you might clam a little as compared to playing at home or practice, I do most times, but that is ok, you play on through and no one notices because you are the only one that knows how you want to play it. The fun of it will carry you right through. I say this only as someone who has played out just a few times and is still pretty new at it.

TS808
June 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Honestly, I don't know too many people who don't get a little nervous before a gig, public speaking, or whatever they are doing before an audience. My bet is that the nervousness will go away pretty quick. I give you alot of credit for getting out there and performing in front of a crowd. Best of luck, and kick some butt :AOK:

Danzego
June 12th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Ya gotta bring GRAM to your concert. Give her a cigarette lighter to, so that after you're done, Gram can stand up with the lighter lit to call you for an encore. :rotflmao: :poke:

Oooh, that could be bad. Better make sure she's not sitting near the "oxygen section" if she's gonna do that. Otherwise, it'll end up looking more like a KISS concert. ;)

Childbride
June 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM
well, gram is here. :) instead of going to work today, i spent all day on I-35 to get her to waco. shiner slipped her a sip of that single barrel he was drinking the other night and she's having a good time. :D

i've been practicing my butt off, and i'm still nervous as he**, but i realized something today.

this is a milestone, like my first day in the courtroom. the judge had to give me a prop in my first trial, because i forgot something. so what.

i do this because i love it, and my gram and my husband will be watching me.

and this is the first step of something that will just grow. and i love it.

i'm ready to go and kick some booty.

just strum
June 17th, 2008, 08:20 PM
shiner slipped her a sip of that single barrel he was drinking the other night and she's having a good time. :D

Oh please, no more pictures with guitars.

warren0728
June 17th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Oh please, no more pictures with guitars.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

i just hope he doesn't set up a used guitar stand at your gig and "market" his wares!! :eek: :bootyshake: :eek:

ww

Childbride
June 17th, 2008, 08:36 PM
here's me and gram...

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/Misc/P6170001.jpg

i realize the important things in life. i would have driven TWO days just to have her with me. :D heck, a week. ;)

warren0728
June 17th, 2008, 08:39 PM
nice photo cb (much better than the last photos to come out of your household!)....i bet she is just as excited as you are about being at your gig! :)

ww

just strum
June 17th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I can tell the wheels are turning in Shiners head right now. Stop him CB, don't let him do it. BTW, I passed Shiners pics around work today - he's a celebrity now. I should of asked the guy that came back from Waco if he happen to see Shiner around town.

He got as much attention as the pictures of the guys wife the day before, but not for the same reason.

luvmyshiner
June 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM
He got as much attention as the pictures of the guys wife the day before, but not for the same reason.

Oh trust me dude, there's a lot worse pictures of me floating around out there. For some reason several of my former co-workers are still carrying around pics of my bum pressed firmly against their cubicle window.:bootyshake:

Childbride
June 17th, 2008, 09:32 PM
[laugh] i just showed gram that picture and she thought it made her look fat and she wants shiner to take another one of her. :D

another first [and i can hijack my own thread] she wants to go to court tomorrow and watch me in action, which she's never done.

going to be an interesting week. ;)

piebaldpython
June 18th, 2008, 07:10 PM
WOW!!! Gram's gonna be your own "cheering section" no matter what you do. :bravo: Let's hope she doesn't sass a judge before your concert and get thrown into the pokey. :rotflmao: Just kiddin'. You GO girl and kick some butt. Twenty people at the old age home could easily turn into 20 thousand at a stadium. And then we can all say that we knew ye when...

hubberjub
June 18th, 2008, 09:49 PM
i think i need to go and get gram to sit in on the gig.

I totally read this too fast and thought you needed to go and get a gram before the gig. :thwap: Bringing your gram is much more wholesome. A couple of beers before (and after) the show never hurts though. :beer:

Childbride
June 19th, 2008, 07:49 PM
:D

i have graduated.

i have gone from the baby player who, until seven tonight, has never been able to play lead through an entire song in front of anyone other than my family to the woman who played lead on three songs in front of husband, gram, and crowd with a band. :)

Pappy, i played the best wildwood flower to date. you just wait until we meet up with you, Clint and Joe. ;)

did i ace it? nope. i bobbled and missed a couple of things.

but i had a BLAST, i've gone a huge step in getting over my terrors of playing in public, and i'm ready to do it again tomorrow. :beer:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/Misc/P6190002.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/Misc/P6190001.jpg

and to top the week off, gram saw me do my thing in court for the first time ever this morning, and gets to see me again tomorrow.

you other lawyers on the forum will love this.

gram 'doesn't know a stranger'... i set her up in the courtroom, so she could watch the drama as the hearings enfolded.

i showed up to have a hearing around mid-morning docket in the courtroom, and she'd charmed the judge and the administrator so much that i found her with three magazines and a DIET COKE IN THE COURTROOM. :rotflmao:

[something completely taboo/forbidden!]

i'm out,

i want to thank all of you for being such wonderful supporters and friends. y'all are great. i love this forum!

k

warren0728
June 19th, 2008, 07:53 PM
congrats cb :bravo: ....looks like you got the comfy chair at the gig too :AOK: ....i assume shiner kept his clothes on and didn't try to sell any guitars! :rotflmao:

ww

luvmyshiner
June 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM
congrats cb :bravo: ....i assume shiner kept his clothes on and didn't try to sell any guitars! :rotflmao:

ww

Kept my clothes on, didn't try to sell any guitars, BUT I did walk up to her teacher with my silk shirt unbuttoned to my inverted nipple, loads of gold chains and assorted bling, AND my expensive name brand sunglasses (Walmart is a name brand isn't it?) and advised him that I was her manager and in the future I . . . um I mean "WE" expected a cut of the gate.:D :D

I looked a lot like this, only with gold chains and sunglasses:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/50speedo123.jpg

Oh, did I forget to mention I was wearing speedos?:rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
June 19th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Rock on! As I said before, you are our Wildwood Flower.

just strum
June 19th, 2008, 08:11 PM
CB, congrats, you've come a long way.

Shiner, it must be a strange place in your world. Shinersville, USA

street music
June 19th, 2008, 08:13 PM
CB, Great ending to a great storyand I know that grams is talking about it right now to all her friends. You have inspired me even more than Shiners Speedo modeling, Shiner you better not send any of those pics back home with grams.

luvmyshiner
June 19th, 2008, 08:29 PM
CB, congrats, you've come a long way.

Shiner, it must be a strange place in your world. Shinersville, USA

You just said a mouth full old friend.:messedup:

I did have to explain a few things to one groupie who was trying to horn in on my action. And I must admit, he was quite the charmer. A formidable opponent. I wouldn't call it a "knock out", but when I grabbed his walker, he did fall to the floor.:eek:

sunvalleylaw
June 19th, 2008, 10:42 PM
:D

i have graduated.

i have gone from the baby player who, until seven tonight, has never been able to play lead through an entire song in front of anyone other than my family to the woman who played lead on three songs in front of husband, gram, and crowd with a band. :)

Pappy, i played the best wildwood flower to date. you just wait until we meet up with you, Clint and Joe. ;)

did i ace it? nope. i bobbled and missed a couple of things.

but i had a BLAST, i've gone a huge step in getting over my terrors of playing in public, and i'm ready to do it again tomorrow. :beer:

and to top the week off, gram saw me do my thing in court for the first time ever this morning, and gets to see me again tomorrow.

you other lawyers on the forum will love this.

gram 'doesn't know a stranger'... i set her up in the courtroom, so she could watch the drama as the hearings enfolded.

i showed up to have a hearing around mid-morning docket in the courtroom, and she'd charmed the judge and the administrator so much that i found her with three magazines and a DIET COKE IN THE COURTROOM. :rotflmao:

[something completely taboo/forbidden!]

i'm out,

i want to thank all of you for being such wonderful supporters and friends. y'all are great. i love this forum!

k

Way to go! I was pretty sure it would go like that for you. I am glad for you. Re: your gram at court, did she get to take calls on her cell phone in the courtroom too?!! :eek: ;)

EDIT: Hey guys, check out the Apple Mac sticker on the young girl's (Alex S, based on the PG) red strat! ;)

warren0728
June 20th, 2008, 07:35 AM
ey guys, check out the Apple Mac sticker on the young girl's (Alex S, based on the PG) red strat! ;)
hey cool....i missed that when i was looking at the pic....i have some extra apple stickers around here somewhere..... :whatever:

ww

wingsdad
June 20th, 2008, 07:59 AM
.... i had a BLAST ... and i'm ready to do it again tomorrow. :beer:

:bravo: :beer: :AOK:
And when you do, there'll be no fear, only the rush of anticipating the first chord and triumphant thrill of the moment. :)

PAPPY
June 20th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I am soooooo proud of you,girl. I was thinking about you last night while at my own Thursday night gigs and told one of the ladies that plays with us that I hoped all went well for you. Your on your way now so do another one as soon as possible, the more you can do right now the easier it will get with the nerves. That is still one lovely lady in the picture with you and I hope you tell her hello for me. You've come a long way in a very short time and the future looks bright and shiny, now let's get Shiner on a gig with you to play rythmn on that beautiful redhead he holds in his lap. Congratulations to you my friend...I am proud of you!

mrmudcat
June 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I hope you smiled while playing...you look to serious missy!!!!!:bravo: :beer:

warren0728
June 20th, 2008, 09:06 AM
now let's get Shiner on a gig with you to play rythmn on that beautiful redhead he holds in his lap.
i thought cb was a blonde! :whatever: :rotflmao:

ww

just strum
June 20th, 2008, 11:02 AM
A formidable opponent. I wouldn't call it a "knock out", but when I grabbed his walker, he did fall to the floor.:eek:

I hate when you have to do that. One day a guy rode buy me and flipped me the finger, when I caught up with him I beat the crap out of him. Then of all things he asked me to help him back up into his wheelchair.

Childbride
June 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
:messedup:

talk about zonked.

i took gram early this morning to bosque county for court, with her things in the car, did a big docket, then drove her home and came back. didn't walk in the door until 8. [left meridian at 1:15]

Kat, expressed some 'very creative' opinions about austin traffic going southbound. :D

y'all are too sweet. lemme see.

comments about alex: dude, she's awesome. that girl is 12-13, methinkest, brilliant, beautiful, knows at least three instruments that i'm aware of [guitar, bass, and keyboards] sings (prettily), and just has one of those open, honest, sweet faces that knocks your socks off. her parents are going to have one honey of a time with her in hs beating guys off of her with a stick. i adore her.

the other kid her age in those pics is a kid named ian, who's daddy works with me. he's very talented as well.

part of the thing that totally made me not have the shakes and the sweats that i normally do is that they were making little mistakes too, but playing through. that's what it was all about. just doing your thing.

Muddy, no, the body language was the way i played through the entire thing. it's one thing when i'm home playing, i don't look at my fingers, i just do my thing.

put me in front of peeps i don't know, i look like i have hypertension/a medical disorder

Pappy, i really thought of you when i was doing Wildwood. you would have been proud.

Wings... high five. :D :beer: i can do it again tomorrow, and it will be a totally different story. the dam is being broken... i just picture a hall of grammers... they were all Someone's Grandparents. and i just want to share something with them. because music is some of the best part of humanity, and i dig it.

Strummy... if we get to do an acoustic set, i'm playing the ea20, bro... :AOK:

Warren... you make me laugh. :)

Tot... you make me smile. ;)

this forum is absolutely the greatest, most supportive place on the internet for guitar. Robert, you and your mods rock. :master:

o, and gram was quite the 'queen' today in court again. by the time we left to go back home, she was getting hugs left and right and invites to come back... she had quite the time. no, Sun, no cellphones... but she doesn't have one. :D

he might have let her even have that indulgence, i dunno.

luvmyshiner
June 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I hate when you have to do that. One day a guy rode buy me and flipped me the finger, when I caught up with him I beat the crap out of him. Then of all things he asked me to help him back up into his wheelchair.

Dude, I hate it when that happens.:D

just strum
June 21st, 2008, 04:34 AM
Strummy... if we get to do an acoustic set, i'm playing the ea20, bro... :AOK:

knowing you have all those guitars in your house and to hear that this one still is one of the ones you really enjoy, is good to hear. I would have never given it much attention here. It gets great reviews and people comment they would like to get one, but it never captured me as it seems to do with others.

I have a feeling it doesn't matter what guitar is in your hands, you are now expressing from the heart and you feel the music.

evenkeel
June 21st, 2008, 06:34 AM
CB,
Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing, story and pics. You are obviously having a ball. Keep it up!!!! :bravo:

Guitar Gal
June 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM
Great story CB :AOK:

You are an inspiration to all of us beginners out there :rockon:

GG

Katastrophe
June 21st, 2008, 01:05 PM
:messedup:

Kat, expressed some 'very creative' opinions about austin traffic going southbound. :D

I'll just bet you did! I have to be careful these days with "creative opinions." Baby Kat is starting to repeat what Mrs. Kat and I say now.:D

Those pics were great, and I'm glad that the show went well, and the your Grandmother was there. :bravo:

Playing out will only become more fun from here. Enjoy it, you've earned it!:beer: :bravo: