PDA

View Full Version : Beware of clergymen bearing soldering irons

marnold
June 11th, 2008, 09:38 PM
On my way back from a convention yesterday, I picked up an All Parts 500K push-pull pot, five-way switch, black knobs, and black switch tip. I thought about waiting until my Screamin' Demon came in to do any wiring, but I couldn't resist. Since I was getting nowhere with my sermon this afternoon I opened up my Floyd for an electronics overhaul. I installed the new switch and set up the push-pull for a neck-on switch. Amazingly, when I was done everything worked! Unfortunately once I got it back together I found out that the humbucker was out-of-phase with the other two. Odd that it didn't do that with the old switch. Anyway, just now I took it back apart and switched the humbucker leads.

I learned that I really need to get a solder sucker. I also learned that "switching the leads" is harder than it sounds when there are so many other wires nearby. I found that pickguard material doesn't like having a bit drill bit taken to it. I had to expand the hole for the pot a little bit. Right now, if the push-pull is pulled up, it impedes with the travel of the whammy bar ever so slightly. If that really annoys me, I could add a spacer on the back of the pickguard. For now, it's fine.

Now I can truly enjoy the bridge-middle position since that shorted on the old switch. Think of it as "turbo quack from Hades." The bridge-neck combo is really enjoyable. It adds the power and treble of the 'bucker with the smoothness of the neck without that much "quack." The all-three pickup setting is another cool tone that really surprised me. I halfway expected it to be as muddy as all get out, but it isn't at all. I really can't describe it because I've never heard anything like it before. I like it a lot. I think it will be even better with the Demon because it will be brighter and with less power so it won't overpower the Area 61s.

It may be a figment of my imagination but I think things sound a bit better with the new pot too. It may be wishful thinking. Interestingly, the old pot was a linear taper one. The new one is audio.

Eventually, I hope to find the time to record some clips, especially so I can do a before-and-after comparison with the Demon.

My main problem right now is that I'm loopy from solder fumes.

Special thanks to DVM for answering a distress wiring email too :)

sunvalleylaw
June 11th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Sounds like a nice mod and project. Congrats!

robert43
June 12th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I recommend rather than a soilder sucker just get soilder brade much better ( flat copper strip woven) that you put on the soilder & cut , dicard.
I work in the elctriacl feild tryed the sucker but they stuff up after time.
Any good to see you got it done

Kazz
June 12th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I too recommend the solder braid....I use it in length...and then cut off what has been used to pull the old solder before storing away in the toolbox.

Robert
June 12th, 2008, 07:29 AM
You are already scaring me with that thread title. Don't bring that solder iron to church on Sunday!

marnold
June 12th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I too recommend the solder braid....I use it in length...and then cut off what has been used to pull the old solder before storing away in the toolbox.
I've got one of those, I just can't get it to work very effectively.

marnold
June 12th, 2008, 08:11 AM
You are already scaring me with that thread title. Don't bring that solder iron to church on Sunday!
Vee have vays of making you convert . . .

Bloozcat
June 12th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Ah yes, but did your wiring success inspire you to finish your sermon for Sunday marnold? :)

luvmyshiner
June 12th, 2008, 09:07 AM
This Sunday's sermon: "The soldering iron of God".:master:

marnold
June 12th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Ah yes, but did your wiring success inspire you to finish your sermon for Sunday marnold? :)
Actually, the amazing thing is that it did. I sat down at my computer again at 7:30 last night and by 9:30 the whole thing was done. Good thing, since it's not only my sermon for Sunday, we've also got a service tonight at 7:00.

Bloozcat
June 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Actually, the amazing thing is that it did. I sat down at my computer again at 7:30 last night and by 9:30 the whole thing was done. Good thing, since it's not only my sermon for Sunday, we've also got a service tonight at 7:00.

God works in mysterious ways, doesn't He...:)

bigoldron
June 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM
This Sunday's sermon: "The soldering iron of God".:master:

AKA "This iron is hotter than Hades! Wanna see?" :rotflmao:

duhvoodooman
June 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Can't decide whether I like the thread title or this line better:

"Since I was getting nowhere with my sermon this afternoon I opened up my Floyd for an electronics overhaul."

Where else but TheFret are you gonna encounter a juxtaposition of concepts like that?? :rotflmao:

Glad to hear you got everything working properly, Matt! :AOK: :bravo:

marnold
June 12th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Can't decide whether I like the thread title or this line better:

"Since I was getting nowhere with my sermon this afternoon I opened up my Floyd for an electronics overhaul."

Where else but TheFret are you gonna encounter a juxtaposition of concepts like that?? :rotflmao:
What, you mean that that's not the way that everybody overcomes writer's block?

warren0728
June 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM
must have been those solder fumes!! :poke: :beer: :rotflmao:

ww

marnold
June 14th, 2008, 03:55 PM
OK, here's a clip to show the various and sundry differences. I'm playing the main riff to Sweet Jane once again. For each setting I play the riff twice. The positions are as follows:
1) Humbucker only
2) Humbucker and neck
3) Humbucker and middle
4) All three pickups

I like all four tones. I think with a little bit of tweaking, the all-three setting could be a nice pseudo-acoustic sound.

Switch Test (http://www.box.net/shared/xt8eai2o00)

Almost forgot to mention, this was recorded via the line-out on my AD30VT, using my Black 2x12 settings which I mainly use for clean stuff, although you can tell that the humbucker alone overdrives it a bit.