PDA

View Full Version : So who is getting the iPhone 3G?

Robert
June 12th, 2008, 02:52 PM
http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Phone, iPod, and Internet in one fast 3G device. Starting at $199.

Introducing iPhone 3G. With fast 3G wireless technology, GPS mapping, support for enterprise features like Microsoft Exchange, and the new App Store, iPhone 3G puts even more features at your fingertips. And like the original iPhone, it combines three products in one — a revolutionary phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device with rich HTML email and a desktop-class web browser. iPhone 3G. It redefines what a mobile phone can do — again.

warren0728
June 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM
i'm thinking about it...my old phone needs to be replaced....a couple of things i'm not crazy about....sealed battery....would like to get an extra battery....also the unlimited access is going from $20 to $30 so even though it is cheaper it's gonna cost an extra $120/year to use it....i like the gps feature but wish it would talk to you so you wouldn't have to look at it while driving....

are you getting one robert?

i also am due for an apple laptop upgrade too! :thwap: :beer:

ww

Tone2TheBone
June 12th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Does it do video conferencing?

Robert
June 12th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Well, I have to say I am VERY interested!

WackyT
June 12th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Nope.

But I am thinking of getting a BlackBerry Curve 8330.

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I am, sometime this summer. A buddy of mine loves his Blackberry Pearl, and has rigged it to listen to music, though he can't plug it into a stereo. My office runs on Mac calendars, contacts, web, mail, etc., so the iPhone is a great fit. I was waiting til the next edition and hoped the price would come down some, and it has. The demos online, and the WWDC conference I watched some of look really promising.

warren0728
June 12th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Does it do video conferencing?
i don't think so....it's a phone, ipod, gps device with web browsing and for us mac heads syncs nicely with our computers email, address book, calendar, yada yada.... :beer:

ww

ted s
June 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
My opinion .. we Canadians are getting so screwed over by our limited cell providers. Example.. A guy in my class here in Ct is from Utah, he pays $100 /month completely unlimited and local coast to coast (US) with something called Helio. Web access, messaging, gps and google maps.

rant off

stingx
June 12th, 2008, 03:51 PM
My opinion .. we Canadians are getting so screwed over by our limited cell providers. Example.. A guy in my class here in Ct is from Utah, he pays $100 /month completely unlimited and local coast to coast (US) with something called Helio. Web access, messaging, gps and google maps.

rant off

Dude, not to make you more sick to your stomach but my plan with AT&T (formerly Cingular) includes two phones (one for wifey) with 700 minutes between us for $39.99. I pay an extra $3.00 and month on my phone to make ungodly cheap calls to EU and an extra $29.00 for unlimited internet, which I expense through work since it's mostly used for my blackberry emails. So that's just $63.00 a month for the whole kit and kaboodle. I am interested in the iphone but 3G is old hat for me as I am a long Sony Ericsson cell phone fan and really like the brand. What I like about the iphone is if the company will support it, it seems to have a great interface for reading email and should sync nicely with exchange. There's a pilot program for it. Blackberry is the standard though for biz so we'll have to see.

warren0728
June 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM
What I like about the iphone is if the company will support it, it seems to have a great interface for reading email and should sync nicely with exchange. There's a pilot program for it.
that's what is nice about it...the interface...and the new one is supposed to play nice with exchange....my friend has one (older model) and really likes it....i need a new phone anyway so that might be my birthday present to myself! :pancake:

ww

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Yep, Blackberry, and windows machines have been the standard for larger biz for sure. I, as a solo, and small business person, chose differently and it works for me. The iPhone's integration into what I have long used is the big attraction for me. I certainly am not knowledgeable enough to say it would be right for all biz environments. Sting, you noted some things that might need to come. But they seem to be making a case that the iphone can be considered. The exchange program demo on the vid from the WWDC that you can get off of iTunes for free looks impressive. I got the impression it is more than a pilot program at this point, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be using exchange anyway.

just strum
June 12th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I just got a Razor from work as my business phone because I was getting too many calls on my personal phone. Could have gotten a blackberry or whatever the latest thing is that replaces them, but I don't want to see my e-mail - just need the basic.

My phone is even more basic (a KRZR) and I actually like it better because it's smaller, lighter, and seems more durable. Since I prefer to keep it in my pocket, it is more comfortable then the razor.

SuperSwede
June 12th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Not at the moment, my HTC Touch Cruise is still almost brand new...

Robert
June 13th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I think I might just get one! If the costs are reasonable here in Canada.

I've gone from being a PC nerd to a Mac yuppie! :bravo:

sunvalleylaw
June 13th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I will be as well. My Palm Trio has been great for a few years, but it is slowly disintegrating. I have been holding on until this next release, and it looks good for my needs. Also, the ATT coverage up on Bald Mt., where I use my phone a lot to communicate with coaches, is superior to Verizon on my phone.

just strum
June 15th, 2008, 10:47 AM
...Also, the ATT coverage up on Bald Mt., where I use my phone a lot to communicate with coaches, is superior to Verizon on my phone.

Just the opposite here. The new phone I received is with ATT and in 90% of our building I have no bars and no bars = no connection. At my desk it is dead. So on Friday I am driving home and a series of dead spots all the way home (never had a dropped call with Verizon, I had three with ATT. I get home, inside the house, the entire house is a dead spot.

The idiot in charge of our phones said he went with them because he got a deal of $50 rebate per phone:thwap: . Our building is where all the Directors, sales, and President are located. I have a feeling that the guy in charge of phones might not be located there for long.

Gil Janus
June 15th, 2008, 11:23 AM
No service by AT&T in Vermont. :poke: The coverage map only shows partner service - and has a note - that if you spend too much time on partner networks they will cancel your service :confused:

So no iPhone for me. :thwap:

Ah well, I'll just add the money I saved to my GAS fund :dude:

Gil :cool:

warren0728
June 15th, 2008, 11:45 AM
No service by AT&T in Vermont. :poke: The coverage map only shows partner service - and has a note - that if you spend too much time on partner networks they will cancel your service :confused:

So no iPhone for me.
it does kinda suck that the iphone is only available through at&t (i have been with them .....actually cingular first for many years)....with the previous iphones i think you could unlock them and use on other networks but with the 3g they have to be activated at an at&t store to eliminate using on other networks....

ww