PDA

View Full Version : New Valvetronix: Black Diamond

tot_Ou_tard
June 13th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Looky here:

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronix/blackdiamond.asp

Lev
June 13th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Wooohhhh, shiney knobs and lights and 200watts, let me at it!!!!!

:rockon:

sunvalleylaw
June 13th, 2008, 07:16 AM
But no complimentary cheese grater?! Looks like it could be really cool.

duhvoodooman
June 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I was wondering when they'd be introducing a high-end successor to the defunct AD60/120 series. Looks like this is it....

jasongins
June 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Please pass the Maalox. How soon will it be available and how much?

t_ross33
June 13th, 2008, 05:26 PM
just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

da dum

da dum

da dum da dum da dum da dum dadumdadumdadum!!!!!!

Another GAS attack. My wife hates you... really.

Trev

SuperSwede
June 14th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I hope that they will add a Black Diamond to the tonelab range...

TS808
June 14th, 2008, 06:46 AM
That looks really cool...between that coming out, the new Peavey Vypyr amps, as well as the Spider Valve amps, it looks like there are going to be some pretty good options out there in terms of modeling amps available at all power levels and prices.

The new Black Diamond amp looks like a strong competitor for the Line 6 Vetta. Hopefully it won't be as pricey as the Vetta.

The Black Diamond, with 200 watts of power, definitely looks like it was built to gig with...I'd like to see them come out with another model with the same features, but less power. 200 watts would peel the paint off the walls in my basement :D

tot_Ou_tard
June 14th, 2008, 06:56 AM
It's not clear to me what it would add over the LE.

SuperSwede
June 14th, 2008, 03:00 PM
It's not clear to me what it would add over the LE.

Twice the amount of amp sims?

tot_Ou_tard
June 14th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Twice the amount of amp sims?
Ah yes.

Any idea what they are?

SuperSwede
June 15th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Ah yes.

Any idea what they are?

unfortunately not...

Probably more boutique amps and (hopefully) at least one better hi-gain amp.

tot_Ou_tard
June 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM
unfortunately not...

Probably more boutique amps and (hopefully) at least one better hi-gain amp.
They should also model an AD30VT :D .

SuperSwede
June 15th, 2008, 02:41 PM
They should also model an AD30VT :D .

Yeah, that would be super cool.

And the Volvo XC90

TS808
June 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Ah yes.

Any idea what they are?

Found this information on Valvetronix.net:

Black Diamond - similar in size to the AD120VTX, all black, & the lit up multicoloured Vox logo is a hoot - & it doubles as a tuner for easy sighting on a darkened stage. First thing I noticed is that the tonal quality & dynamics with the new digital power-amp section and modelling are a BIG improvement & that there's no longer a 'blanket over the amp' - it's clear, punchy, and very tube like in feel. The Blackface for example feels much more authentic & warmer. I don't think we'll need to put an EQ in the loop on this baby. And it's loud - we had to keep it on 1!! The amp models aren't just rehashes of existing models but include many brand new models including a Diezel, Vox CP & Heritage amps etc. Tons more effects that sound very good indeed. The top facia controls are a little more involved as you'd expect, but are nicely lit up with red lighting.

A question I can't answer yet is how much better the BD is tonally re valve tone & modelling accuracy because you can't really begin to tell until you crank it - & as I said we had to keep the volume at bedroom levels. But enough to say that I'm very excited by the possibilities from what I did hear, & I'm dying to really put this puppy through its paces - so, first impressions (albeit limited) are very favourable.

I also don't yet know all the amp models it has - Unfortunately, information on the amp is still very limited, & even the demonstrators are still learning their way round it. But I'm trying to get hold of some further info & even a manual when they come through from my friends at Vox. The prototype I played has only been in the UK 3 days or so & even the Vox/Korg guys have limited info & not even the manual yet - I think it's got to be translated from Japanese first.

Re price, this hasn't definitely been fixed yet, but as a very broad indication the RRP in the UK will probably be in the region of £1200, with a street price of perhaps a little under £1,000. It is after all the flagship & aimed at the top end of the modelling market! But I stress, this is unconfirmed yet. I had a good chat with the Vox guys re the amps design of features, and it's possible that there may even be some tweaks before it finally hits the streets.

Looks like the 200-watt will be a bit pricey. If it's 1200 pounds British currency, that looks like $2300 American dollars using the currency calculator.

tot_Ou_tard
June 16th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Thanks TS808,

So it's sounds like they updated the modelling. The digital power section is so they could get 200 watts with low weight & low heat creation.

I wonder if they'll migrate some of the changes down to lower watt models. A BD30VT would be very nice. 200 watts & $2000 are both too much for me.

SuperSwede
June 16th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I wonder if they'll migrate some of the changes down to lower watt models. A BD30VT would be very nice. 200 watts & $2000 are both too much for me.

The 30-60 watt versions really needs to be updated, especially since the release of the new Line6 amps and Fenders vintage modified champs.

Lev
June 16th, 2008, 09:00 AM

I noticed that the tonelab LE has come down in price quite a bit recently which usually means something new is coming.

TS808
June 16th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I'm pretty excited about this new Vox amp...I'm just hoping that they come out with some lower wattage versions. Between the new Valvetronix, the Spider Valve, and the Peavey Vypr series, modeling amps are really making a name for themselves.

I've noticed recently that on another gear forum (which is inhabited by tube snobs) which I won't name, I'm seeing ALOT more positive posts about digital modeling amps.

Digital amps bring versatility, great tone, more options, lighter weight/portability, all at a fraction of the cost of some tube amps which don't sound as good.

I love tube amps, but I swear by my Valvetronix...the tones are just as good as a number of tube amps I've owned/played.