PDA

View Full Version : SG No Longer for Sale

just strum
June 13th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I've decided to let my Epi SG go, but I won't be posting any additional info and/or additional pics until sometime tomorrow.

These are some crappy pics to get an idea of what is for sale.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/IMG_1039.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture037-1-1.jpg

tjcurtin1
June 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Strum, I think there's a rule that you gotta keep em at least long enough to get some fingerprints on em!:D

How ever did you hang on to one wife for 21 years?!?:poke:

just strum
June 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Strum, I think there's a rule that you gotta keep em at least long enough to get some fingerprints on em!:D

This thing is like new. I purchased it, played it for a month and then switched to acoustic. When I switched back to electric, I bought the Ibanez, then I got the Dot, then..., I think I took the SG out once or twice since switching back. It's a nice guitar, well cared for, but I am caught up in the others.

How ever did you hang on to one wife for 21 years?!?:poke:

1) Selling a guitar takes away most of the punch.

2) If I knew, I would write a book and have a lot more guitars and start focusing on amps.

just strum
June 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Ok, some better photos and info.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/SG/Epi1.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/SG/Epi3.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/SG/Epi4.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/SG/Epi6.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/SG/case5.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/SG/case4.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/SG/case3.jpg

It's an SG G400. They are selling at Music123 and Sweetwater for $350 without a case.

This guitar has no scratches, dents, and/or dings, anything you see in the photos that appears to be a scratch is most likely reflection - this sucker shines.

I really haven't played it much and to be honest I took it out today and it sounds sweet. I may put the Ibanez and the SG up for sale and keep which ever one doesn't sell.

# Color: Cherry
# Body Wood: Mahogany
# Neck Wood: Mahogany (set)
# Fingerboard: Rosewood
# Scale length: 24.75" 1.68"
# Position Markers: Trapezoid
# Number of Frets: 22
# Pickups 2-Alnico-V HB's
# Controls: 2 volume, 2 Tone
# Pickup Switching: 3-way selector
# Hardware: Chrome
# Bridge/Tailpiece: Stopbar

Only flaw is the 3 way switch will crackle when first used, but seems to stop after it's been moved a couple of times. It doesn't cause a short where a setting goes dead, but makes the crackle noise through the amp when switch is moving.

Action is set to my liking, but that is something that is subjective on individual taste.

Tomorrow I will put it on E-bay. On E-bay it will probably be $300 to $310 "buy it now", and reserve that I haven't decided on.

At the moment I have a fretter that is considering it and they will have first grabs at it. If you are interested, PM me. If you have questions about the guitar, ask them here so that everyone shares in the info.

Rocket
June 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I have an SG to go too but I'll wait till you get yours sold off.

just strum
June 14th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Rocket - Go ahead and post now, choices are good.

Fretters - If you are interested, send me a best offer and I will consider it. Make them serious, no trades, no ex-wives, but if it's a serious offer all I can say is no. Nothing can insult me or hurt my feelings.

just strum
June 14th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Took it off the market. I was informed that it is Korean made and for now I took it off the market.

So now I put the Ibanez ARC300 up for sale. Someone convinced me that was the better choice to sell, so we shall see.

player
June 14th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Took it off the market. I was informed that it is Korean made and for now I took it off the market.

So now I put the Ibanez ARC300 up for sale. Someone convinced me that was the better choice to sell, so we shall see.

and what might you be asking for that gem?

just strum
June 14th, 2008, 11:35 PM
and what might you be asking for that gem?

Well, it's over $300 and a Buy It Now is at $375 (free shipping with Buy It Now). The guitars when they were available were selling for $400, I never saw them for less. You can't locate any in the web stores that I have looked at and used ones are just as scarce.

You can read my ad that I just posted about an hour ago

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-ARC300_W0QQitemZ250259512312QQihZ015QQcategoryZ330 37QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

warren0728
June 15th, 2008, 08:31 AM
curious as to why this made you take it off the market.... :whatever:

ww

just strum
June 15th, 2008, 08:39 AM
curious as to why this made you take it off the market.... :whatever:

ww

Better value in the long run. I started playing it yesterday and it warmed my heart with nice tone and memories. I have it tuned a Eb and it sounds nice. Putting the ARC up in its place was not an easy decision either, but one has to go out of necessity.

warren0728
June 15th, 2008, 08:48 AM
oic...i want an sg with p-90's but don't have the bucks right now :(

i bet that arc is a nice guitar....i really like my artcore jazz box!

ww

just strum
June 15th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I also figure if I keep the SG, that is sort of like having an entry level guitar with points. Although modest as they might be, it allows me to have conversation with Matt (Reverend Rawk).

kiteman
June 16th, 2008, 05:56 AM

I don't get it. :confused:

Where did you think it was made at?

just strum
June 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I don't get it. :confused:

Where did you think it was made at?

China was what I thought. I had nothing on it to identify where it was made, but a friend sent me a serial number search page for Fender, Gibson and Epiphone.

kiteman
June 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM
China was what I thought. I had nothing on it to identify where it was made, but a friend sent me a serial number search page for Fender, Gibson and Epiphone.

Oh yeah, that's right. They started making 'em in China some time ago. :thwap:

just strum
June 18th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Okay, not only am I impatient, I am known to change my mind quickly. I have decided that this will be going back on eBay either tomorrow or Friday.

The buy it now is $320 and the secret reserve is still just that - a secret.

Change in the eBay ad will be be the made in....

I noted China, but it is actually:

guitar was made at the
Unsung Plant, Korea
July 2005
Production Number: 1759

warren0728
June 18th, 2008, 08:03 PM
so are you going to keep the ibanez or are you selling them both?

ww

just strum
June 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
so are you going to keep the ibanez or are you selling them both?

ww

Both.

Kazz
June 20th, 2008, 04:00 AM
man strum.....you change your mind more than all of my ex wives.....

luvmyshiner
June 20th, 2008, 06:58 AM
man strum.....you change your mind more than all of my ex wives.....

Hey Kazz, you stole my line.:rotflmao:

duhvoodooman
June 20th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Strum, you might want to go back and edit the title of this thread in your original post, given recent developments!

kiteman
June 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I was going to sell my SG one time but when I restrung it I decided to keep it. :)

I'll take one of your ex-wives though. :D

just strum
June 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Strum, you might want to go back and edit the title of this thread in your original post, given recent developments!

DVM, I thought I did - but someone just did a "Buy Me Now" and we just have to wrap up payment.

Edit: Strange, it changes on the thread, but not on the listing prior to opening up the thread.

just strum
June 21st, 2008, 01:47 PM
I thought I would share this with you. The SG was bought for a 14 year old girl. Her mother and I communicated about the guitar and once sold I told her that the guitar was tough to sell and I hope it gets treated well.

So here you go:

Thanks for the background story on the guitar. It's nice to know it's coming from someone who treated it well and put lots of good energy into it. Yes, it is for my 14 year old daughter who is proving to be truly talented in music. She's played clarinet for 5 years and piano for 2. She also plays some trumpet which she taught to herself. Originally, I had bought a 3/4 size Fender Squire for my younger daughter to try to get her into music, but it wasn't for her. About 6 months ago Mara picked up the guitar and started fiddling with it; there was no looking back. She spends a LOT of time (like hours) on it almost every day and wants to switch from piano to guitar lessons (which will absolutely break her piano teacher's heart). Most of what she plays she figures out on her own. She likes many styles of music including the 80's rock thing - Angus Young is her first guitar god (which you would never expect if you met her) and she has even picked up some pieces of his and others' solos. It's neat to hear her figure things out and put them together. It reminds me of the discovering the guitar section in the 2112 Overture by Rush. (If you do not know this piece of music, you must look it up.)

So...after determining that she was really, really into guitar I knew we had to buy her a serious instrument. When I first asked her if she had any certain guitars in mind, she told me a Gibson SG; I googled it, saw the prices and laughed. But searching a little further I found the Epiphone SGs and from everything I've read, including your account, I think we made a good choice. At first I was going to get her a new 310, but after looking Ebay I realized that for a bit more we could get a 400. Mara is so happy and can't wait to play it.

So your guitar will not end up in the closet of some kid with a short attention span, but will continue to be cherished and caressed on a daily basis. Hope this helps to make giving it up a bit easier.

Have a great weekend,

charlene

Despite it only being a guitar, it is always nice when you sell a guitar that is going to be put to good use. At least it makes me feel good.

just strum
June 25th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Another e-mail from the buyer of the SG. When I sell a guitar it is great to get this kind of feedback.

It's here!!

Oh Mark, what a beautiful guitar! It's like it's brand new. And Mara really loves the glossy finish, as do I. The other 400s we looked at were "worn red" which appeared different - at least in the in the pictures we saw.

So I'll be contacting the guitar teacher next. For the rest of the summer we'll do both lessons and then decide where to go from there.

I'll definitely keep you in my address book. I wish we had the know-how and equipment to record her for you!

Thanks so much,

Charlene

wingsdad
June 25th, 2008, 08:55 PM
That's just a really cool wrap-up, Strum :AOK: You did a lot more than sell a guitar. ;) :beer:

luvmyshiner
June 25th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Nice Strum.:AOK:

warren0728
June 26th, 2008, 02:28 PM
very cool strum....nice to know it went to a good home and that it is really appreciated! :AOK:

ww

Katastrophe
June 26th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Great going, Strum!

You made a fair deal for a great guitar, and the person that bought it will appreciate it.

For that, my friend, you should be congratulated!:bravo: :beer: :AOK:

evenkeel
June 29th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Hey Shiner,
Very cool wrap up to the SG story. Thanks for sharing it with us. Nicely done!!! :bravo: :bravo: