PDA

View Full Version : Good inexpensive mixer

tot_Ou_tard
May 5th, 2006, 05:47 AM
I am looking for a good quality inexpensive mixer to mix CD input (or a drum machine) with my Tonelab for headphone practice. My criterion is low noise & transparent, but I don't need a gazillion inputs or features.

Suggestions?

Tim
May 5th, 2006, 06:26 AM
You did say inexpensive right?

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/mixer_index.cfm?lang=ENG

Katastrophe
May 5th, 2006, 07:07 AM
My singer has one of the 6 channel Behringer units. Its a great mixer for the money, IMHO. The faders are quiet and little to no hum from the unit while recording. Keep in mind that it's not "professional level" equipment, but it'll work great in the home environment, or as a mixer for a live show in conjunction with a PA.

Spudman
May 5th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Behringer gets my vote too. The Mackies have better preamps but not by much and they cost a little more.

tot_Ou_tard
May 5th, 2006, 11:09 AM
You did say inexpensive right?

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/mixer_index.cfm?lang=ENG
Yes cheap is the operative word. BTW, I tried a really cheap solution: using a splitter to combine the headphones out from the TL with the headphones out from my portable disc player. The sound quality & level fro the TL dropped considerbly. Does anyone know why this doesn't work?

Tim
May 5th, 2006, 11:28 AM
It ain’t ever gonna work! You are trying to mix two different systems with completely different impedance.

Most likely the Tone lab has the higher impedance and will over ride the CD player. Basically by combining the two systems you are making a series/parallel circuit. You need a mix of some sort.

The same will happen if you use the splitter up in front of the Tone Lab. The CD impedance will over riding the guitar and you will have no output volume from the guitar.

Sorry! That’s the way them little electrons work. They are mystifying.

tot_Ou_tard
May 6th, 2006, 06:47 AM
It ain’t ever gonna work! You are trying to mix two different systems with completely different impedance.

Most likely the Tone lab has the higher impedance and will over ride the CD player. Basically by combining the two systems you are making a series/parallel circuit. You need a mix of some sort.

The same will happen if you use the splitter up in front of the Tone Lab. The CD impedance will over riding the guitar and you will have no output volume from the guitar.

Sorry! That’s the way them little electrons work. They are mystifying.

So it's an impedence mismatch! It looks like a mixer is in my future.

SuperSwede
May 7th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Another fine budget brand is Tapco. They are owned by Mackie.
http://www.tapcoworld.com

Justaguyin_nc
April 13th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Im sure I am totally wrong on this..

I just picked up a used Behringer 1204FX-pro a week or so ago
(dunno what the pro is for as bad as people talk about these)
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUB1204FXP Discontinued now.

I wanted a CHEAP mixer for the home that would allow me to have most
of my stuff plugged in all the time and allow me the luxury of just pushing
a button when I wanted to add one or take one out.

After reading tons of reviews from what I assume is people with MONEY
I was very leary about getting any Behringer Mixer.

I got mine for around 85 bucks off E-bay and must say it does everything
I had expected from a mixer. Multiple mics and guitars are plugged in.
within hands reach I can put them into service or pull them out.

I do not hear any noise added from the mixer while the built in FX are off.
If and only IF I turn the FX up to what you actually would not use anyways
then I get a slight hiss in the background which goes away while playing.

Now the added bonus of this FX unit..
I really really like the Chorus and verbs..
I didn't expect anything nor really cared about the effects built in
but they have turned out to be a blessing with acoustic mic recordings.
Very useable for this newbie hobbyist player.

With the electrics the FX are still usable even though I have a ton of pedals.
I think I may be getting rid of a few of them over time.

I still have much to learn about all this , but for the bucks
I do not see anything wrong with one of these Behringer units.

The recordings into the computer are pretty darn clear and mix well for "me"
although I still have a long learning process ahead on mic placements etc.
I am more than content at this price range and do not know if my level would know the difference
if I paid for a much more expensive name brand unit.

Time will tell on Quality..
But heck it works! Investment hardly noticed.
Use the Ebay and find a used one and save some money.

:AOK:

wingsdad
April 13th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I've had Behringer UB mixers, and for home use, IMHO, you can't beat them for price/performance/value.

So define 'cheap', tot...60 bucks? Then a little Behringer could do it. Behringer's newer line aslo has USB out, and you might want that for what you're describing you want to do.

But if you can spring for up to 100 bucks, then you won't regret the 'legroom' of a couple of more input channels. And Behringer's got those answers.

I have 2 small mixers. An 8-channel version of this one, made in China for Peavey like the Behringers...in fact, it might even be made in the same factory and be a Behringer in a Peavey suit. who knows WTF's going on over there amongst the paddies....

Peavey 6 (http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PEV-PV6-LIST)

I got that one so if/when I need more channels or sub-miexs, I could daisy-chain it with this $100 one by Yamaha (mine's an older model, but basically the same):
Yamaha MG10/2 (http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-YAM-MG102C-LIST)

Carlström
April 15th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I find that Yamaha has some great cheaper mixers, compared them to behringer ones in the store and yamaha was miles better for not much more money

tot_Ou_tard
April 15th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I've had Behringer UB mixers, and for home use, IMHO, you can't beat them for price/performance/value.

So define 'cheap', tot...60 bucks? Then a little Behringer could do it. Behringer's newer line aslo has USB out, and you might want that for what you're describing you want to do.

But if you can spring for up to 100 bucks, then you won't regret the 'legroom' of a couple of more input channels. And Behringer's got those answers.

Wingsdad, I asked this question 2 years ago. Just'a dug it up because he was looking into mixers.

I ended up getting a Behringer XEYNEX 802 for $50. It's has plenty of inputs for my needs & works very well.

Justaguyin_nc
April 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I ended up getting a Behringer XEYNEX 802 for $50. It's has plenty of inputs for my needs & works very well.

My goodness tot!!

I waited two years for you to lead me in the right direction
and finally justa went ahead and bought one..:rotflmao:

I figured the thread wasn't being used.. so yup..
justa brought it back to life.

tot_Ou_tard
April 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM
My goodness tot!!

I waited two years for you to lead me in the right direction
and finally justa went ahead and bought one..:rotflmao:

I figured the thread wasn't being used.. so yup..
justa brought it back to life.
Welcome to Club Mixer justa.

just strum
April 15th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I almost won a Behringer XENYX 1204-PRO Mixer on e-bay last night. Brand new and it ended up selling for $57.52 + 25 shipping.

Justaguyin_nc
April 23rd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Welcome to Club Mixer justa.

Im still digging the mixer.. thanks for the CLUB shoutout..:)

I will probably always sound like sheet.. but due to G.A.S. I'll look good sounding that way!

Three mics hooked up.. Line for Acoustic Pickup..
Line for Electric with pedals.. Line for backing tracks in..
Output to stereo, headphones and computer..
I justa gotta hit a switch and decide which I want to use.. and more plugs to use when I want to!:master:

Life is easier and good! :beer: