PDA

View Full Version : What Led Zeppelin album do you like best?

Robert
June 15th, 2008, 10:05 PM
What Led Zeppelin album do you like best, and why?

I haven't even heard all of them (shame on me) so I'm going the easy route, and asking the experts here. :D :master:

I'm referring to the studio albums here, but feel free to mention any other compilations in addition.

mrmudcat
June 15th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I chose IV ........one reason stairway.............

Predictable im sure but thats it!

Might add im the biggest zepp head around..I like all the way up to P.G.

sunvalleylaw
June 15th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Joined you. It was the one that introduced me to them.

F_BSurfer
June 16th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I would have to go with II hard to choose but I pick this one because of the memories it brings back

Bloozcat
June 16th, 2008, 06:13 AM
#1 because it was a fresh, new sound. Then #2 because it stepped it up a notch.

Beginning with #3 on, I found that I only liked a couple of songs per album where as on #1 & #2, I like most all of the songs. Maybe it's just me, but I've found that to be true with a lot of bands.

As to Stairway To Heaven: I liked it the first 500 times I heard it, and maybe even the first 1000 times. But with it in continuous play on all of the classic rock stations since 1980, it's gone from a classic song to a form of torture. I don't know what the classic rock stations would do without Stairway, and Knights In White Satin. Maybe they'd have to actually look at the albums to see that there were other songs there...

Loved the scene in Wayne's World , where Wayne gets through two notes on the pre-CBS Strat before the salesman grabs the neck and points to the "No Stairway To Heaven" sign on the wall...:AOK:

R_of_G
June 16th, 2008, 07:21 AM
#1 without a doubt. i like all of them up through Physical Graffiti, but none of them quite as much as like #1.

marnold
June 16th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Since the only two albums of theirs that I have are IV and Physical Graffiti, that limits my choices. I'd probably have to go with IV. I agree with Blooz though that so many of the songs off that album, especially the aforementioned Stairway, were beaten to death on the radio in the 80s.

This did prompt me to listen to Bron-Yr-Aur again which is just as cool as the first time I heard it.

Tone2TheBone
June 16th, 2008, 08:30 AM
It's a toss up between #1 and #3 but my personal favorite is III. I always thought Jimmy was a better acoustic player.

duhvoodooman
June 16th, 2008, 08:41 AM
#1 because it was a fresh, new sound. Then #2 because it stepped it up a notch.

Beginning with #3 on, I found that I only liked a couple of songs per album where as on #1 & #2, I like most all of the songs. Maybe it's just me, but I've found that to be true with a lot of bands.

As to Stairway To Heaven: I liked it the first 500 times I heard it, and maybe even the first 1000 times. But with it in continuous play on all of the classic rock stations since 1980, it's gone from a classic song to a form of torture. I don't know what the classic rock stations would do without Stairway, and Knights In White Satin. Maybe they'd have to actually look at the albums to see that there were other songs there...

Whoa, that's scary, 'cuz I could have written this same thing virtually verbatim!

The first LZ album came out the spring of my senior year in HS, and I pretty much wore the grooves out of that one. BC's description of "fresh, new sound" captures it perfectly--had never heard anyone who played or sounded like Page did on that record. I was a budding guitar player at that time, only having been playing a couple of years, and I just loved the "big 3" British blues-rock guitar heroes: Clapton, Beck & Page. I was also wearing the grooves out of Cream's Goodbye and Beck's Truth at about that same time....

Big_Rob
June 16th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Zep 3 all the way for the accousticness of it.

just strum
June 16th, 2008, 10:17 AM
None - I could listen to one, maybe two songs and then I've had my fill. That voice of Plant's drives me nuts (in a bad way). Guitar playing certainly isn't the best. Better than me, yes, but not up to standards

IMHO

Robert
June 16th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Oh Just Strum - you are going to get the Zeppelin police after you now!

:munch:

mechanic
June 16th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I voted for their first album.
I like them all though.
Their recently released DVD is pretty kick a$$ as well.Lots of cool improv type stuff.
Eric

Katastrophe
June 16th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I voted for Led Zep IV... Lotta great tunes on that album besides Stairway, which I agree was completely overplayed. I still love that song, though!:D

SuperSwede
June 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM
My vote goes for III.. I love the Immigrant Song, amazing guitar by Mr Page.

sunvalleylaw
June 16th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I voted for Led Zep IV... Lotta great tunes on that album besides Stairway, which I agree was completely overplayed. I still love that song, though!:D

Agreed. Black Dog immediately comes to mind.

just strum
June 16th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Oh Just Strum - you are going to get the Zeppelin police after you now!

:munch:

Hey, honesty is the best policy. It's not that I dislike them, but I think I've had my fill of them over the years.

As for Stairway to Heaven, that's like having to hear Desperado one more time. :puke: http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/yikes.gifhttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/puke.gif

TS808
June 16th, 2008, 06:12 PM
None - I could listen to one, maybe two songs and then I've had my fill. That voice of Plant's drives me nuts (in a bad way). Guitar playing certainly isn't the best. Better than me, yes, but not up to standards

IMHO

I'm the same way...I was never a big Zep fan; I too never liked Robert Plant's voice, and Jimmy Page, although a good guitarist stole more blues licks than all the SRV wannabes put together (okay, I'm being sarcastic).

On the other hand, "In Through The Out Door" was big when I was in college, and for whatever reason, I really liked that album.

scgmhawk
June 16th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Never a big fan but I do like The Ocean, so I'll vote for Houses of the Holy! I can't even get through Stairway without changing stations anymore.

Spudman
June 16th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Call me strange...again...but I like "In Through The Out Door."

Iago
June 23rd, 2008, 03:23 PM
II, for the rawness and improved compositions and recording over LZ I (my second favorite).

Houses of the Holy is one damn fine album too.