PDA

View Full Version : Don't care for the band, but

just strum
June 17th, 2008, 10:46 AM
There is one CD that a group or artist released that you consider the pinnacle of their career. The are not a band you would necessarily go see, but just a single CD you would highly recommend to someone.

I have a few, but I will mention just one.

Bruce Springsteen

The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle

One of my top selections of CD/Albums of all time. It's not over produced like Born to Run and it highlights the tightness of the band. Looking at live footage, it provided some of his best concert footage. Although I liked Born to Run to some degree, it was that "wall of sound" that drowned out the bands natural ability. The first "Greetings for Asbury Park" was good, but was only an opening act for what was to follow on his second album.

I know there are a lot of Bruce fans here and the point of the thread isn't to slam an artist, but it's just to point out a album that you feel ranks far above any of their other work.

R_of_G
June 17th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Firstly Strum, good idea for a thread.:AOK:

Secondly, I agree with your choice of Springsteen albums. I am a big fan of pre-1980's Bruce and I think "The Wild, The Innocent and The E-Street Shuffle" is the best of the bunch.

I will use Tom Waits for mine. I think the album "Rain Dogs" is not only the pinnacle of Tom's work, but for me is the pinnacle of all albums. These are phenomenal songs with interesting arrangements. The album features the guitar work of guys like Marc Ribot, Robert Quine, G.E. Smith, and some guy named Keith Richards. Tom is my favorite lyricist and this album shows why. The songs stand on their own but also form a complete story when combined with the albums "Frank's Wild Years" and "Swordfishtrombones." While Tom has released many albums which I cherish, I always return to "Rain Dogs" as the best of them all.