PDA

View Full Version : David Gilmour - On An Island

Robert
May 5th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Just bought the album by David Gilmour - On An Island. If you like Pink Floyd, this is a must buy. Great vocals, great songs, and great guitar tones! David plays some very tasty and inspirational guitar work, and there's quite a bit of it too. The whole album has that "Pink Floyd-at-their-best" smell about it. I dig it.

Guitar-Chris
May 6th, 2006, 02:23 AM
As i mentionend in an earlier thread at

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=460

I was very disappointed when listening to that album. Ok, it is not a bad album and indeed has the spirit of the early Pink Floyd, but... in my opinion it lacks of tension. Nice, sound, nice composing, but most time I hear it, i wake up 40 minutes later in my chair and the album is at the end.

For me it seems as David collected some tapes, that didn't found the way to an official floyd album and now he brings out a solo album of this stuff.

Not to be misunderstood: David is an idol for me, one of the greatest guitarplayer and composer ever, but this album isn't really a highlight for me, sorry.

Robert
May 6th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Really? Interesting to hear that. I thought it was pretty good. He could have used some more faster songs, but to me it seems very Pink Floydish.

Spudman
May 6th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I'm kind of with Chris on this. I'm pretty underwhelmed by the album. I've had it for about a month and find that I have little desire to go back to listening to it.
The music is good in it's own way and so is the playing. I think some of the songs are very genuine and heartfelt yet missing that mystique and energy that much of the Pink Floyd material has.
Not a 'bad' album just not good enough to keep me enthused about it.

Spudman
August 13th, 2007, 11:49 PM
DAVID GILMOUR: Here is a press release about David Gilmour's Remember That Night DVD: http://www.dprp.net/news/2007/2007_32/gilmour_sm.jpg (http://www.dprp.net/news/2007/2007_32/gilmour_lg.jpg) One critic described DAVID GILMOUR's (PINK FLOYD) On An Island Royal Albert Hall concert, as "a near-perfect gig, where the magic kept coming, as did the surprises'." Now music fans, who may have missed Gilmour's 2006 tour, get a chance to share in that magic with the release of Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall" a double DVD commemorating Gilmour's highly acclaimed SRO tour. Lasting more than 5 hours, Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall includes Gilmour's rave-reviewed London concert - featuring special guest appearances from DAVID BOWIE, ROBERT WYATT, DAVID CROSBY and GRAHAM NASH - as well as 2 hours and 40+ minutes of extras, notably a revelatory fly-on-the-wall documentary following Gilmour and his band on tour. A 20-page booklet accompanies the DVD.

Gilmour's two-and-a-half-hour concert features band members Richard Wright of Pink Floyd, Phil Manzanera of ROXY MUSIC, new band member Steve DiStanislao on drums, plus Pink Floyd regulars Dick Parry, Guy Pratt and Jon Carin.

David Gilmour, the legendary guitarist and voice of Pink Floyd, will premiere an 85-minute theatrical version of Remember That Night – Live at the Royal Albert Hall, to 54 movie theatres across Canada on Saturday, September 15 at 3 p.m. Eastern/ Noon Pacific. This exclusive, one-time event (which will also be simultaneously broadcasted in theatres across the United States and the United Kingdom) includes a one song live performance by David Gilmour prior to the concert and end with a special question and answer session – both live via satellite from London.

Disc 1 of Remember That Night includes Gilmour's critically-acclaimed concert featuring songs from his #1 UK chart-topping album On An Island as well as Pink Floyd classics such as 'High Hopes', 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond', 'Comfortably Numb' and the first filmed performance (since Pink Floyd's Live at Pompeii) of the epic 20 minute tour de force, 'Echoes'. The concert's state-of-the-art production comes courtesy of lighting genius Marc Brickman. The show was filmed by David Mallet, one of the world's leading music directors. For the 23-camera shoot, David Mallet used the latest in high definition digital technology to create a film that is nothing less than stunning. A groundbreaking must-have DVD, David Gilmour's Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall in Standard DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc formats.

Disc 2 of Remember That Night is packed with rarities and previously unreleased material including 'Breaking Bread, Drinking Wine', a 46-minute road movie filmed during the 2006 tour. Allowing fans a unique "seat on the tour bus," 'Breaking Bread, Drinking Wine' gives viewers a rare glimpse of David Gilmour, the man and musician, his band and crew enjoying and enduring the highs and the lows of life on tour: from flashfloods, a collapsing stage, a Russian wine-glass player, and problems with German trains!

Other DVD extras include bonus tracks from the Royal Albert Hall, Gilmour's first-ever performance of the Syd Barrett classic 'Dark Globe', 'Astronomy Domine' Live From Abbey Road, and the AOL sessions recorded while on tour in LA. Five songs from the BBC Mermaid Theatre concert are also on Disc 2, along with a five-minute documentary shot on tour in LA. The DVD also includes a photo gallery featuring the tour crew, shot by tour photographer Polly Samson.

Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall comes with a 20-page booklet featuring more than 80 photos selected from studio recording, touring, and time off.

Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall gives fans an exclusive virtual backstage pass allowing them share many of the musical highlights from David Gilmour's 2006 tour, including the making of his #1 UK chart-topping album, On An Island, released in March 2006. Tours in Europe, the US and the UK followed the release of the album, with the concerts held in theatres chosen by Gilmour, preferring the intimacy of such venues after a lifetime of stadium rock. In response to his first tour, his first since Pink Floyd's 1994 Division Bell global jaunt, David Gilmour remarked, "It's an extremely enjoyable tour, fantastically good fun and very, very satisfying."

"It's probably the most fun, most professional and easiest tour I've ever done in my life," concurred Gilmour's longtime bandmate and co-member of Pink Floyd Rick Wright.

Disc One – Live At The Royal Albert Hall:
'Speak To Me',
'Breathe',
'Time',
'Breath (Reprise)',
'Castellorizon',
'On An Island' featuring Crosby & Nash,
'The Blue' featuring Crosby & Nash,
'Red Sky At Night',
'This Heaven',
'Then I Close My Eyes' featuring Robert Wyatt,
'Smile', 'Take A Breath',
'A Pocketful Of Stones',
'Where We Start',
'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' featuring Crosby & Nash,
'Fat Old Sun',
'Coming Back To Life',
'High Hopes',
'Echoes', 'Wish You Were Here',
'Find The Cost Of Freedom' featuring Crosby & Nash,
'Arnold Layne' featuring David Bowie,
'Comfortably Numb' featuring David Bowie

Disc Two – Bonus Features:
Performances from the Royal Albert Hall:
'Wot's… Uh The Deal', 'Dominoes',
'Wearing The Inside Out' (featuring Richard Wright),
'Arnold Layne' (featuring Richard Wright),
'Comfortably Numb' (featuring Richard Wright)
Documentary: 'Breaking Bread, Drinking Wine'
Performance from the Summer Tour 2006: 'Dark Globe'
Recorded at Abbey Road Studios: 'Astronomy Domine'
Performance from the AOL Sessions: 'This Heaven'
Performances from the BBC Mermaid Theatre concert:
'Castellorizon', 'On An Island', 'The Blue',
'Take A Breath', 'High Hopes'.
Documentary: The Making Of On An Island
Documentary: The West Coast
Music Videos: 1. On An Island 2. Smile
Bonus Track: Island Jam 2007
Photo Gallery
The DVD was directed by David Mallet and has a total duration of 5 hours and 13 minutes. The DVD is released on the Columbia Records label.
http://www.dprp.net/news/images/divider.gif

Robert
August 14th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Sounds like a great buy to me!

Tone2TheBone
August 14th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I think I'll check that DVD out too. I loved P.U.L.S.E.

Justaguyin_nc
August 14th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Already Pre-Ordered on Amazon.com... looking forward to it!!

Spudman
August 14th, 2007, 04:13 PM
This really does look like a good investment. Lots of stuff on these two discs.

David used to have some of the making of "On An Island" video on his web site. I haven't checked it for a while, but it was certainly neat to watch. He mostly used his Les Paul.

elavd
August 17th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Great album!!!

Take a look at David's studio (it's built on a boat !!!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPMgcTwrdcw

The video was shot just before the release of the "On an island album".

Also take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD1-j5ZWOmw

It was also relased before the album.

It's amazing how Gilmour sounds like himself even with a Les Paul guitar!!!

Justaguyin_nc
September 18th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Already Pre-Ordered on Amazon.com... looking forward to it!!

Just got an email...Remember that Night... it's on the way! yes!:beer:

Check the shelves.. it must be out there now..

Spudman
September 18th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Watch it at lest 3 times before you give us a report. I'm sure it's going to be good.

Justaguyin_nc
September 23rd, 2007, 06:52 PM
Watch it at lest 3 times before you give us a report. I'm sure it's going to be good.

Remember that Night..sweeeeet
It might be some time before I could watch this 3 times.. feature packed!

Full version of Echoes is worth it alone..Disk 1

Disk2 is better than the concert.. Well, actually its a bus/train/plane/boat ride and a bunch of other concert dates... troubles, setups and extra songs... excellent..
Richard Wright Sings with David on Comfortably Numb on Disk 2...

Which makes up for David Bowie Singing it on Disk 1.. Like what was they thinking..

David Gilmour played both Very well as usual...

Alot of Disk 2 Uses the P90 Les Paul with Bigsby... along with some other nice guitars..

Maybe to much Acoustic for my liking in parts.. but still a great watch.

David Bowie Does do an Excellent Arnold Layne...Disk 1
Which has already appeared on Youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K499HpGF46E

Crosby and Nash become harmony in a few songs...

Worth the admission... get yours today...BOTH DISKS!