PDA

View Full Version : Uli J. Roth anyone?

Jimi75
June 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Uli is the best German guitarist there ever was. He was heavily influenced by Hendrix and he lived several years with Monika Dannemann Hendrix partner before he died. From her he inherited Hendrix black Isle of Wight Strat that remained untouched an unplayed in the case. I once had the chance to have a longer talk with Uli and he told me that there is still Jimi's last package of cigarettes in the case and still there are the original strings on the guitar.

Uli kind of invented the neoclassical style and he made it big times with the German rockband "Scorpions" in the US.

It is definitely worth chekcing out his videos on youtube. You will find two different kinds of music. His early 70s stuff is absolutely Hendrix drenched, his later stuff is neoclassical.

Watch his right hand work. No tension at all.

Roth is a true master and composer.

3JXaz78hD6w&feature=related

Robert
June 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Oh yes, Uli is great. You beat me to it, Jimi! I was going to post a thread like yours any day now...

Anyway, a long time ago, after I heard Yngwie talk about Uli, I checked out some Uli material. I've always liked him ever since. Super player. Poor singer (but who cares about that? :D ).

Tone2TheBone
June 17th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Uli Jon Roth? Why yes thank you.... :) Great musician!

scgmhawk
June 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM
He is great. I saw him live years back with the Scorpions.

SuperSwede
June 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Very talented player no doubt, but I have to say that I prefer Michael Schenkers playing when it comes to Scorpions.

Robert
September 7th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Uli is awesome.

Here's a live version of Little Wing:

R_7Wh0iYr6g

Dude has some killer chops. Yngwie stole SO much from Uli, but many people don't know it.
5e5072S-hBg

sumitomo
September 7th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Wow!Robert you must be one of the few Sweds that does not play a scalloped neck.I will have to try one someday.He is a great player and that guitar of his is awesome also.Sumi:D

Robert
September 7th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah that guitar is not your regular strat. It's got, like 978 frets or sumthin... well, how about plenty of frets, to be more accurate. :D
Almost sounds like a violin when he plays higher up.

I wanna learn that intro solo to Sails of Charon - it is so good! There is actually a lesson on this on youtube, by Uli himself. :dude: