PDA

View Full Version : Robert's new finger picking guitar lesson

Robert
June 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I finally made a new guitar lesson. Phew! It's almost impossible for me to find the time lately. I even made an acoustic lesson for a change, because I've heard remarks that I never do anything acoustically. Well then, here's to finger picking with 4 fingers! :beer: :D

This lesson is about finger picking, using thumb, middle, index and ring finger - in that order. Let me know what you think of this one.

Katastrophe
June 17th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Robert, there's something wrong with your guitar! There's no cable hanging from it that runs to an amph! How can you do a screamin' solo without an amph! Quick, plug it it before something funky happens!:poke: :D

That was a great lesson, and I'll have to work on it. My fingerstyle is more caveman than elegant, involving my thumb and index finger, and that's about it.

Your guitar kung-fu is strong, master!:master: BTW, that SX sure does have a nice tone.

Robert
June 17th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks, Kat! I still have the original strings on that SX from Jan 2007... :D

tot_Ou_tard
June 17th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Yup, I know that pattern, but I always fingerpick on an electric 'cause I don't own an acoustic.

You should do a fingerstyle blues tune or a rag Robert.

BTW, does anyone know in what language "thumb" begings with p and "ring finger" begins with a?

Algonquin
June 17th, 2008, 04:35 PM
That was great Rob. Finger picking is an area that I really need to focus on to improve. I don't play much accoustic, but I love to play in an 'acoustic' style, and it's incredible how much more versatile your playing sounds when you can mix it up like that.

Good lesson :bravo:

Rocket
June 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM
P I M A comes from the Spanish words to describe the fingers:

P - Pulgar / Thumb
I - Indicio / Index
M - Medio / Middle
A - Anular / Ring

tot_Ou_tard
June 17th, 2008, 05:42 PM

P - Pulgar / Thumb
I - Indicio / Index
M - Medio / Middle
A - Anular / Ring

Thanks Rocket.

For completeness do you know "pinky" in Spanish?

marnold
June 17th, 2008, 05:42 PM

P - Pulgar / Thumb
I - Indicio / Index
M - Medio / Middle
A - Anular / Ring
<Steve Martin>It's like those Spaniards have a different word for EVERYTHING!</Steve Martin>

This sort of thing and flamenco make me really miss my fingertips.

Rocket
June 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM
For completeness do you know "pinky" in Spanish?
I don't know any Spanish... I do know guitar related stuff though.
I'll guess - dedo meñique.

Robert
June 17th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks for clarifying that, Rocket.

marnold
June 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Well, if anything this inspired me to get out my old banjo picks and try this. I'd need to practice it a lot, but it wasn't as difficult as I remember it being. I think part of it is because now my brain is thoroughly trained as to how long my right hand is now. I'm also using the picks the right way, which doesn't hurt. I had been using them like claws and that didn't work so hot.

sunvalleylaw
June 20th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Nice lesson Robert! That was what my first instructor taught me as well. He is really an acoustic/folk spe******t and this pattern is very useful and seem the best to start with for fingerpicking. As always, presented very thoroughly in a very understandable way so that it works for anyone.