PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Strings?

dws
June 17th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Here's the problem: I don't like the sound of the strings I'm using for my SG, but I'm not sure which ones to use. I've tried a few different kinds, but haven't liked the sounds on them, the most recent being Elixirs (light .010-.046). Although I know enough about guitars in general, and about amps, I don't know anything about strings...

What sounds good with an SG?

just strum
June 17th, 2008, 07:52 PM
ahhh, my subject.

Most cases I use these

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXL110/

I have them on my SG and I like them.

warren0728
June 17th, 2008, 07:54 PM
i use d'addarios on my guitars to.....same strings as strums links for my lp and my tele....i like them....

ww

Ch0jin
June 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I had elixir's (10-46) on my Maton from the factory and whilst I really loved the coating they use (strings are really slippery making for faster slides and less finger wear and tear), when they went a bit dull I switched back to my all time favourites, Ernie Ball Slinkys, and whilst my fingertips paid the price (it was like going from glass to sandpaper) I do think they sound better.

So....Slinkys is my vote until I find strings that feel like elixirs and sound like slinkys :)

http://store.ernieball.com/product/part_number=P02221/574.0.5908.16037.16795.5281.0

ZMAN
June 18th, 2008, 07:02 AM
D'Addarios for sure. I go the the 9.5 set on all of my guitars. I have the odd 9 set on a couple of strats but they are all D'Addarios. I took the bright wires off my SG. I have had that guitar for almost 40 years and I have gone from Labella 8s to Gibson 11s and I settled on the D'Addario 9.5s they are a happy medium and they don't corrode as easy as others.

dws
June 18th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Oookay, so I'll probably be going with the D'Addarios, also because I saw that several pros, including Angus Young use them. :D

But there's another question, due to my incredible lack of knowledge about strings. What do the numbers mean? 9.5 D'Addarios? I'm not sure what the number signifies.

Thanks for the feedback thusfar.

duhvoodooman
June 18th, 2008, 03:20 PM
ahhh, my subject.

Most cases I use these

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXL110/

I have them on my SG and I like them.
Yup, D'Addario 10's are the DVM house brand, too. :AOK:

But there's another question, due to my incredible lack of knowledge about strings. What do the numbers mean? 9.5 D'Addarios? I'm not sure what the number signifies.
The reference is to the diameter of the high E string in thousandths of an inch. 9.5's would denote a 0.0095" diameter for the high E string. A set of 10's would have a high E diameter of 0.010", etc. The rest are then proportionately larger. There are sets that come with non-standard diameter profiles on the larger strings, usually having bigger diameters to give more bass presence & authority. When referring to sets of this type, both the high E and low E diameters are listed, like "0.010 - 0.052".

Because different guitars have different scale lengths (e.g. most Fenders are 25.5" and most Gibsons are 24.75"), the same string diameter will need to have different tension to play at the same pitch. So you'd have to have more tension on the string on a 25.5" scale Strat to give the same pitch than if it was on a 24.75" scale Les Paul. That would make that string harder to bend on the Strat than the LP, because it's more taut. To compensate, some people prefer to run lighter strings on their longer scale guitars. For this reason, it's quite common for players to run 9's on their Strats and 10's on their LP's. More detail on the subject HERE (http://www.electric-guitar-review.com/2006/07/12/your-guitars-scale-length-a-primer/), if you're interested.

P.S. FWIW, personally, I run 10's on all my guitars. I like the Fender types to feel & play differently than the Gibson types. To me, it's part & parcel of what makes them what they are....distinctly different from each other. :dude:

dws
June 18th, 2008, 06:04 PM
duhvoodooman that reeaaally helped. Thanks!

I think I'm going to buy a few different sizes of strings among one or two brands, one of them being D'Addario.

Also thanks for everybody else's imput. Everything helped.

Ch0jin
June 19th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I dont think it was mentioned, but if I'm correct, the heavier the string gauge, the more you'll drive your pickups and the more sustain you'll get. (electric or acoustic)

Basically a thicker string means more metal to stimulate the magnetic field around the pole pieces in the pickups. This can result in more bass, more volume, and a "bigger" sound. It can also harshen up your sound a little. You'll get more sustain because you have more string mass vibrating and more vibrations transferred to the body of the guitar means more sustain

If I'm correct, this is why SRV used quite heavy strings. (11's or 12's maybe) when 9's were fashionable for a strat.

Oh and it might be obvious, but thicker strings are harder on your fingers (harder to bend). No issue for most guys I know, but I have heard some ladies prefer 9's on a strat for this reason.

Also if your a fan of dropped tunings, I've heard heavier strings are the go as they dont go as flabby when detuned.

Anyway, I might be totally wrong, but thought I should mention it just in case. Oh and FWIW I'm a fan of 10's on a Strat and as my Maton has the same scale length as a Strat (ahh the beauty of custom shops) it wears 10's too!

Please feel free to shoot me down in flames if this is all wrong though...

sunvalleylaw
June 19th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I believe you are correct that SRV used large strings. My instructor and I were just discussing it. He pointed out, however, that SRV generally tuned down some which reduced string tension, so that it was not as over the top as people may think. Like a "normal" person using 11's, he estimated.

rkwrenn
June 19th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Yep, SRV used 13's and tuned his guit to Eb. Probably resulted in feeling like 11's or 12's.

I have an Epi LP that I keep tuned to D. I use 12's on it and, at the lower pitch, they feel like 10's. I use D'Addario 10's on everything else.

Cheers and HTH,

Bob

ZMAN
June 19th, 2008, 04:01 PM
A lot of pros came by their string sets by accident. They break a string and the local guy only has 10s or 11s or they like smalls and bigs.
By that I mean some guys like a thin unwound string and a thicker wound string. that do not come in a "Set" If you go to any of the String web sites you will see that strings come in different OD guage sets. Strings are usualy referred to by the high E string's guage and the rest come in a "standard" set of thickness or guages. You can vary that by buying different sets.
This is an example.
D'Addario
EXL120+ Super Light Plus
E .0095
B .0115
G .016
D .024
A .034
E .044
EXL110 Regular LIght
E .010
B .013
G .017
D .026
A .036
E .046
You can see by going up only .5 in the High E the rest of the string guages change.
If you went to a high E with a .013 guage the low e would be .056. That would take a strong set of fingers.
Some people mix and match or order single strings in specific guages. It all depends on what you are playing, and I guess how tough your fingers are!

mark wein
June 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
I love the Gibson Vintage Reissue 10's on all of my guitars except my Warmoth strat...

http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/quality,85/brand,sameday/fit,330by330/SEG-VR10-38be2d7ee6b6d785e51ccc59e7bdb198.jpg

Plank_Spanker
June 26th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I use D'Addario 10's, but I actually like the Brite Wires that the new Gibsons ship with.