PDA

View Full Version : Saw Tom Petty Last Week

scgmhawk
June 17th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers last Wednesday in Hartford, CT. I hadn't seen them live in like 25 years! They still rock! I didn't realize how good a guitarist Mike Campbell was/is. He was wailing. Really great show!

sunvalleylaw
June 17th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Jealousy. I would love to see them. Glad you had fun!

evenkeel
June 18th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Way cool. Petty is a terrific live performer and the heartbreakers are a great band. Last time I saw them was ages ago backing Dylan. Bob opened the show and my first thought was "God the sound system is awful". Then Petty came out the the sound was miraculously great! I love Dylan, but man can he mumble. :D

warren0728
June 18th, 2008, 09:54 AM
very cool....mike is a great guitarist and petty has an extensive collection of highly collectable guitars....

petty grew up in gainesville and the last time i saw him was at a concert in gainesville....he hadn't played there in a really long time because he knew how crazy it would be....he only agreed to play if he got the first 10 (i think) rows for family and friends. On a sad note....a man called "dub" who owned a bar in gainesville that petty used to play at as a kid in a a band called mudcrutch (and who petty was very close to) died less than a month before the show. He mentioned dub and dedicated a song to him....was great hearing a hometown boy singing in his hometown. The crowd was great and we all sung along to every song!

ww

scgmhawk
June 18th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I just read recently that Steve Gaines (from Lynyrd Skynyrd and died in the plane crash) was also in Mudcrutch. That must have been quite a band! I was in AZ in April and the radio station's contest was 2 tickets to see Mudcrutch in Los Angeles. They had gotten together for a few shows and were promoting a CD, I believe. Supposedly the original members (who are still living apparently) along with Petty.

just strum
June 18th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I never had an opportunity or didn't take advantage of the opportunity to see them live, but they are a definite "I would love to see them live" band.

warren0728
June 18th, 2008, 05:30 PM
i never saw mudcrutch live but spent a lot of time in the bar that they got started in....called "dubs" after the owner..... :beer:

ww

t_ross33
June 19th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I just read recently that Steve Gaines (from Lynyrd Skynyrd and died in the plane crash) was also in Mudcrutch. That must have been quite a band! I was in AZ in April and the radio station's contest was 2 tickets to see Mudcrutch in Los Angeles. They had gotten together for a few shows and were promoting a CD, I believe. Supposedly the original members (who are still living apparently) along with Petty.

Plus Tom Leadon, brother of Eagles founding member Bernie Leadon.

You can play a cool association game, like 6 degrees of separation or whatever that game with Kevin Bacon was called, using a handful late 60s, early 70s bands...

Buffalo Springfield, Poco, CSNY, The Eagles, The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers etc. etc.

Start tracking band members and see where it leads you... it's as much fun as searching youtube and getting lost for hours :D Amazing that a relatively small circle of musicians influenced almost all of the "classic rock" of the early to mid 70s and beyond.

P.S. Mudcrutch (ver. 2008.0) rawks!