PDA

View Full Version : Biasing a Marshall DSL50

Salsg
October 22nd, 2005, 09:11 PM
HI, I iwll replacing my tubes in my DSL50 and would like to learn how to bias. I have a multimeter, and know the small taps near the trim pots are. ut I have several questions.

TO measure, the multimeter should be on DCv? SHould the amp be on, but on standby?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Sal

Robert
November 16th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Good questions, Salsg! I'm gonna bump this one to see if we have any Fretters that can help. I am not confident enough in this area to give you any advice.

Post an intro in the Fret Players forum too if you can.

Tone2TheBone
November 16th, 2006, 01:08 PM
My Jubilee needs new power tubes also and even though I do a lot of things myself I am very wary of the voltages inside amplifiers. I don't trust myself enough to attempt my own biasing even though I wish I could. I'll take mine to a tech and wait probably about a month. If someone really does know how to safely do it here I'd be willing to investigate.

Tone2TheBone
November 16th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Salsg - I was looking at the demonstration of biasing your amp over at Eurotubes. If you haven't already seen the video that they have go check it out. After reading up on your model it seems like anyone could bias theirs easily.

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-video.htm

My Jubilee isn't made like the DSLs so I'll have to take it to a tech.

Spudman
November 16th, 2006, 05:45 PM
It SEEMS like it would be easy to do. I thought this too. I haven't tried it though. I'd rather try it the first time with someone qualified and experienced right beside me. I've heard the voltages stored in the caps is enough to kill you. That makes it a no-go for me. I ain't ready for the permanent Pearly Gates just yet.

Tone2TheBone
November 16th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Spud - I've taken out the chassis on my Jube a couple of times to take out some of the dust that built up. Sprayed some contact cleaner in the pots etc. I did that very carefully too. Someone would have to bias my amp from the inside....not like Salsg's DSL50 which has the components on the back of the chassis on the outside. I wish mine were like that...my amp goes to a tech for cheap life insurance of about $60.00. :)

Plank_Spanker
November 17th, 2006, 05:37 AM
$60 isn't bad for a rebias.

Tone2TheBone
November 17th, 2006, 09:17 AM
$60 isn't bad for a rebias.

Yup. Once I figure out what tubes I want then I'll take the amp to the shop. I might get another set of Groove Tubes since I've been playing those for almost the life of the amp. Medium rating. Maybe some JJs for the preamps but I do already have a new GT Mullard in V1 and it luuuvs the Marshall.