PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pickup Combo

marnold
June 19th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I can't remember if we had had a thread like this before, but I thought of it after completing my Floyd. I think the HSS setup is the one for me. You can go to the humbucker for rock/metal tones and hang out on the neck or neck/bridge for bluesy tones. You can cover a ton of sonic territory. When your guitar budget it limited, a do-it-all ax is a Good Thing. Having said that, I also love the simplicity of my one humbucker, one knob, fixed bridge Fender. But if I were starting over today, I'd just go with an HSS.

FWIW, in the poll I list the bridge pickup first. I know some people use reverse order but that doesn't make sense to me unless you're speaking Hebrew.

Thoughts?

SuperSwede
June 19th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I have to say HSS even though I love the sounds of a neck humbucker.

Ro3b
June 19th, 2008, 09:27 AM
In general I'm attracted to the simplicity of one-pickup guitars. Just plug it in and let er rip. But whether I want that one pickup to be a humbucker or a P90 or something else depends on my mood, the music I'm playing, wind direction, and what I've had for breakfast. So I picked "other." :D

I find strats paralyzing. Really, five tones to choose from before I've even considered my amp settings? I have a hard enough time deciding which shoes to wear, fer chrissake.

Katastrophe
June 19th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Stick with Crocs, Ro3b, it'll make things simpler...;) :D

For me, the HSS setup on my Strat is about ideal, as I generally needed one guitar to cover a lot of ground when I bought it. Although I do miss the tones I would get from having a single at the bridge, I can bump the pickup selector switch one notch and get that Stratty, quacky goodness. But the switch is wired so position 2 splits the humbucker.

If I had enough guitars, I'd have a Strat with 3 singles, a Tele for that twang, my HSS Strat, a HH Paul-type, a hollow or semihollowbody, and some kind of guitar with P90s. That would cover every sonic ground a person would want to stomp on!:AOK:

Tone2TheBone
June 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I like them all. HH SSS Tele pup setup P90 setup all of them.

street music
June 19th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I haven't had enough experience to decide which is my favorite, P90s are great, HH is good, I would like to have a HSS setup to play with.

sunvalleylaw
June 19th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I like the idea of a lot, but right now, between my guitars, I like my SSS the best.

duhvoodooman
June 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
This is weird! 10 responses so far, and nobody has voted for the classic H-H Les Paul configuration?!? :eek:

mrmudcat
June 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
sss with full seven positions on the switch!

SuperSwede
June 19th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I like them all. HH SSS Tele pup setup P90 setup all of them.

You need a Line 6 variax dude ! :beer:

Tone2TheBone
June 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
You need a Line 6 variax dude ! :beer:

But I like having a bunch of different colored guitars. :)

duhvoodooman
June 19th, 2008, 06:52 PM
+100! :D

warren0728
June 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM
i like the way you think! :bravo: :beer:

just strum
June 19th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I went with the triple S arrangement. I will have to admit though it was tough decision as the HH and HSS were very close for a three way tie. It could be the newness of the SSS on the Squier Strat Deluxe and the Peavey Tele, but it for now has captured me. However, there is nothing in my modest collection that can mellow things out like the Dot.

tot_Ou_tard
June 19th, 2008, 07:19 PM
This is weird! 10 responses so far, and nobody has voted for the classic H-H Les Paul configuration?!? :eek:
:rotflmao:That's 'cause it sucks Vood.

:poke:jes kidding :poke:

tot_Ou_tard
June 19th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Just wait, they'll come out with a varicolor variax.

Then what will your excuse be? :D

SuperSwede
June 20th, 2008, 07:25 AM

:D

The variax comes in a variety of colors...

I love your pic on facebook, really pretty guitars :beer:

marnold
June 20th, 2008, 09:15 AM
If I were to ever have an SSS guitar, I'd either want a Nashville Tele or a Strat with something like a Rio Grande Stelly pickup in it. I like the sound of a Tele bridge pup about a million times more than a Strat.

Ch0jin
June 21st, 2008, 04:00 AM
Seymour Duncan SH4 and SH1 :)
But I have guitar with sss too so I really vote one of each..

Mr Grumpy
June 22nd, 2008, 04:29 AM
Always liked the HSS setup on my Yam pacifica and am glad I have it back now with my Peavey Generation Tele (which sounds even better - love that through body stringing). My Gordon Smith is a good setup too, a HS with the the bridge HB coils tapped. I admit at the moment I am spending a lot of time on settings 2 and 4 on the tele (the in-between settings).

oldguy
June 22nd, 2008, 06:27 AM

I did, just now. Probably 'cause I've been playing the Agile LP w/ the WCR's in it, and rediscovered the toggle switch trick....... cool.........:D

pes_laul
June 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
I love HSH even better when they have coil tapping like alot of shecters do

F_BSurfer
June 22nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
My Hwy 1 SSS gets the most playing time but my Agile HH not to far behind maybe when I am done modding the fat fully it will pick up some time already have 59 trembucker in it have couple vintage fender singles need to install and have nice maple neck need to install also

hubberjub
June 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
I have to go with HH even though the pickups in my Modulus are Dimarzio Virtual P90s. They are still humbuckers. I use to be a Strat player but the other guitarist in my band is a Tele man and I wanted to keep our tones in different parts of the spectrum. This is a poll with no wrong answer.

scgmhawk
June 23rd, 2008, 08:17 AM
My vote right now would be HSS. It does provide versatility. I haven't played an SSS in a very long time though, and that's probably going to be my next purchase so my vote could change down the road!

Brian Krashpad
June 27th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I don't know that I have a fave set-up, pickup-wise. It's easier to say what I don't have any of. I don't have any of the superstrat HSH type at all, so that's probably the least fave. No single-pup guitars either.

I'v got a batch of double-HB LP (or double fat Strat) types, some of which have coil splitting (Fernandes Ravelle, Peavey T-60), and one of which has 2 mini's, which are kinda a different animal than regular HB's. Have a regular Tele and 2 Fat Teles (neckbucker; one of the Fats has a mini-HB). Four guitars with 2 P-90's (3 are LP Special/SG types with mahogany bodies and setnecks, one's a P-90'd Strat), one trad SSS strat (Peavey Predator), and a few more exotic multiple single coil guitars (Ric w/Hi-Gains, Gretsch w/DeArmonds, Brownsville with 3 toasters and Strat switching).

So I'm pretty all over the map. Really depends on what music I'm playing I guess, but it always ends up sounding like me anyhow.

sunvalleylaw
June 27th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Just cause I like Billy Joe, I kinda want a Fernandes.

Brian Krashpad
June 27th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Just cause I like Billy Joe, I kinda want a Fernandes.

He's kinda retired Ol' Blue though.

Playing Les Paul Juniors for several years.

sunvalleylaw
June 27th, 2008, 03:52 PM
He's kinda retired Ol' Blue though.

Playing Les Paul Juniors for several years.

Ya, but I can still appreciate those early, raw days on a knock off guitar. :D

markb
June 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Two single coils with series/parallel switching via a 4-way on a telecaster. Very simple, very versatile.

Ascension
July 6th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I have or have had all the configurations you list. I rarely play out and not have a H-S-S guitar with me.
Mostly I play USA Washburn MG 93-97 super strats.