PDA

View Full Version : AD30VT sustain(gain) in manual mode

sense2k
June 19th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Hello all

I've been mainly using manual mode and I notice that even with Gain knob set to max , I can't seem to get as much sustain as I did with my very cheap 15W Ibanez amp which came with my starter pak.
Now, I've been playing around with the knobs (trying to tweak different sounds etc). Could it be that I've set the noise reduction too high?

thx for any input

scgmhawk
June 19th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I was just on the Vox forum (a few minutes ago) and read a FAQ that says to turn the noise reduction off. Completely. It will definitely help you with sustain (it helped me, at least, because I was having the same issue).

duhvoodooman
June 19th, 2008, 09:31 AM
For which amp model(s)??

scgmhawk
June 19th, 2008, 10:28 AM
It just said for "Vox Users". It was actually to provide a clearer, less muddy tone (which is what I was looking for). I was mistaken about the sustain:D

sense2k
June 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM
HI

So, with noise reduction "off" you get better sound?
sounds like a contradiction

still, what can be happening to the sustain?

duhvoodooman
June 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Again, I ask what amp model(s) are you running into this behavior with? The fact that you're on the Manual setting has nothing to do with which model you're using. Going to Manual mode merely disengages the automatic selection of effect type and volume/gain/EQ settings when you switch between models in Preset mode.

I run my AD30VT in Manual mode all the time (can't remember the last time I used the Presets), and with any of the models on the right side of the amp model dial (from UK'70s up to Boutique OD), sustain is never a problem if the Gain is at 50% or more. The noise reduction setting, unless you have it pegged as high as it will go, should have very little effect on this. The Presets for the higher gain models have the NR dialed up to about 60%, and sustain certainly isn't a problem with them. There's something else going on here....

sense2k
June 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Ok,
If you mean what model amp - it's the VOX AD30VT
The only preset which has good sustain is the NuMetal as far as I can hear.
However, I am not talking about a preset, I am referring to the sustain (or lack thereof) in Manual mode (i.e with the Manual LED lit)

I can set the gain to max in manual mode and the sustain is not what i'd expect at all. And, again, I am comparing that to my 15 W ibanez starter pak amp (which obviously is not a great amp) which gives me much more sustain with a gain setting of about 50% (with overdrive) for which plucked notes just ring out for a good long time.

Thank you

warren0728
June 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM
i think vood want's to know what amp model you are choosing on the vox....ac15, tweed 4x10, etc. :whatever:

ww

SuperSwede
June 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM
HI

So, with noise reduction "off" you get better sound?
sounds like a contradiction

still, what can be happening to the sustain?

The noise gate might be cutting of your sustain.. turn it off or lower it and try again.

sense2k
June 19th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I think I see what the confusion is (for me anyways).
Am I to understand that being in manual mode does NOT mean that one is not still using an amp model?

If so, I'm sorry. I thought that by having manual LED lit, all amp models were being bypassed and it would just behave like a plain old non-modelling amp.

But, if this is the case, I have mostly kept the amp on UK80, numetal, high gain models.

thx

markb
June 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
In manual mode you get whatever the knobs are pointing at including amp models and effects. I'd check the noise reduction settings too, that'll cut the sustain off if it's too high.

tot_Ou_tard
June 19th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I avoid noise reduction unless absolutely required (which it rerely ever is for me).

As has been mentioned, in manual mode the model & other settings will be what the the chicken head knobs point at.

Try cranking the Master & the Volume as well as turning up the Gain (adjust the overall output level with the thingy on the back).

You should get plenty of sustain especially with the right side of the dail which you seem to prefer.

marnold
June 20th, 2008, 09:24 AM
If so, I'm sorry. I thought that by having manual LED lit, all amp models were being bypassed and it would just behave like a plain old non-modelling amp.
That is incorrect. When you are in manual mode you are still using one of the amp models. The amp is just using the settings you have chosen with the knobs instead of pre-determined settings when you are in "Preset" mode.

duhvoodooman
June 20th, 2008, 09:38 AM
When you are in manual mode you are still using one of the amp models. The amp is just using the settings you have chosen with the knobs instead of pre-determined settings when you are in "Preset" mode.
Precisely. In Manual mode, whichever amp model the chicken-head knob is point at is what you'll be playing though. Dial it to one of the high-gain types (UK Modern, NuMetal, or US HiGain, in particular), roll up the Gain knob, and you should get plenty of sustain. The NR setting shouldn't affect that, unless you've been screwing around with it and have it set W-A-A-A-Y up.

BTW, if things still don't sound right, you may want to try doing a "reset" on the amp to the original factory settings. Per directions on pg. 15 of the Valvetronix manual:

Turn the power off.
While holding down both the CH and WRITE buttons, turn the power on. When the CH1 and CH2 LEDs begin blinking, release these two buttons.
HINT: If you decide to abort this operation, press the TAP switch at this point.
When you press the WRITE switch, the CH1 and CH2 LEDs will change from blinking to lit. Initialization will be completed in a few seconds, and the amp will switch to Preset mode.
NOTE: Never turn off the power while initialization is taking place.

Tim
June 21st, 2008, 08:55 AM
The best advice I can give can be stated in 2 sentences.

1. Read you manual, then read it again. There is tons of information in the book.

2. Listen to DuhVooDoo. He knows what he is talking about concerning the ADxxVT amps.

TS808
June 21st, 2008, 02:12 PM
Another way to get a little more sustain (if you want the noise reduction on) is to use the compressor. That will also provide more sustain, but then you can't use another effect such as reverb, delay.

sense2k
June 23rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
you're all very helpful