PDA

View Full Version : I've been bad this week.

hubberjub
June 19th, 2008, 07:39 PM
It started off with these.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/hubberjub/DSCN0361.jpg
Boss DD-20 and Digitech Whammy.

I stumbled upon this.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/hubberjub/DSCN0360.jpg
Soldano Astroverb 16

And I accidentally looked on Craigslist today and ended up with this.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/hubberjub/DSCN0358.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/hubberjub/DSCN0359.jpg

It's an absolutely mint 1983 Fender USA Stratocaster. It's got a few funky options such as one tone control, a pickguard mounted jack, and a weird (but suprisingly functional) tremolo. It doesn't go through the body. It's just top routed. It might not be the most collectible Strat out there but it came with the original case and owners manual. It also plays and sounds much better than my 1991 American Standard Stratocaster. For $400 I couldn't pass it up. My wife is ready to take away my ATM card.

just strum
June 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Very nice assortment of purchases you have there hubberjub. Looks like you did some smart buying. Plus, I can use this thread to show my wife it could be worse.:D

warren0728
June 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM
nice....that's an interesting strat! how do you like the soldano?

ww

duhvoodooman
June 19th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah, fill us in on that Soldano amp! Don't see many of those around here. Strats & pedals we got; Soldanos, not so much.... :dude:

hubberjub
June 19th, 2008, 08:04 PM

ww
So far so good. I have only played it at bedroom volumes so far. The first gig with it is Saturday. We'll see how it stands up to my Boogie. It's a single chanel 20 watt 1/12 combo. It doesn't have much in terms of clean headroom but that works for me. I like a little grit on my cleans.

TS808
June 19th, 2008, 08:05 PM
NICE!!! The Soldano is awesome.

But..You just brought back some memories...my first good electric guitar I bought was a 1983 Fender strat. Mine was a hardtail in 3-tone sunburst. I remember those funky bridge saddles and the one tone/one volume knobs.

Nice guitar!!

sunvalleylaw
June 19th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Wow, you have had a week! Enjoy! I love the looks of the strat and would love to hear more about the Soldano.

SuperSwede
June 20th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Nice catch!!

That Soldano looks tasty! Tell us more and more important let us hear it ! :)

ZMAN
June 20th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I recently bought the DD 20 and I really like it. It gives some wild effects and they are almost limitless. I wish I had more time to wring this one out.
It adds a whole other dimension to your playing.
I would like to hear your take on it.

Brian Krashpad
June 20th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Wow, congrats! How much did the Soldano set you back?

I had a chance to score one of those early '80's pickguard-jack USA Strats back in the '90's for 3 Benjamins, and probably should've hit it. If I were more of a Strat guy I would've. At the time I was just getting into Teles and out of Strats, so it was bad timing.

Jimi75
June 20th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Must be Christmas already where you live :bravo:

The soldano looks nice. What does it sound like? Can you put up some clips maybe?

marnold
June 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I too want to hear about the Soldano. Can you get metal-level gain from it like its bigger cousins?

hubberjub
June 20th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Wow, congrats! How much did the Soldano set you back?

I am a bargain hunter when it comes to gear. I found the Soldano on Craigslist for $475. It's never been gigged. How could I pass it up?

I too want to hear about the Soldano. Can you get metal-level gain from it like its bigger cousins?

It certainly does the Soldano metal gain thing if that's what you're after. There is way more gain than I will ever use. I typically crank the master volume and then adjust the preamp volume to taste. I prefer to get my distortion from the power tubes. I love the fact that it's only 20 watts. I can crank it and not worry about overpowering the other guys in the band. I'll try to get some clips up soon. We just hired a guy who helps us out with sound and promotion so he's been taping most of our shows.

Bloozcat
June 20th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Define "bad", hubberjub, 'cause I don't see anything bad here at all. Unless, of course you mean "bad" as in, "This 1983 Strat is really bad, man." But, you've been "bad"? Maybe you are bad 'cause you found all this bad stuff....

Bad is a tricky word.....:D