PDA

View Full Version : Prince 3121

Robert
May 6th, 2006, 10:06 AM
I am a big Prince fan, and this new album had me curious. I find the music is all over the place, with some songs quite uninteresting, mixed with some good ones. "Fury", is a kick-butt song with terrific, screaming guitar. You might have seen that SNL performance where he played that song - very good.

He always experiments with sounds, and there are some cool textures on some songs. There are also a couple of great funk tunes. I think that is Prince's strongest asset - playing da funk like the best of the best funkateers.

Overall, I'd give it a 3 out of 5.

Spudman
May 6th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I'm with you Robert. The music is sort of all over the place. Still an enjoyable album. It keeps growing on me especially the mellow songs on the record.
I think an even funkier new album is Joe Satriani's "Super Colossal." I'm finding it to be one of his best yet and it sure has some groove goin' on. Don't get me wrong, Prince can groove too, but 3121 pales in the groove department compared to the Satriani album. IMHO:)

r_a_smith3530
May 6th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I concur with you both. Although bordering a bit on the weird side personally, I believe Prince (or whatever he so chooses to call himself this month) is an absolute genius musically, and if you've ever seen him live or on the screen, he's a phenomenal bandleader.

Unfortunately, I expected 3121 to pickup where Rainbow Children left off, and it didn't, at least not for me. Yes, Prince is best when he's gettin' funky, and 3121 didn't have enough. Still, I can't call it a bad album, just not as great.

Hey, BTW, what happened to Rhonda Smith? Her name appears nowhere on this new recording. Has she left the NPG? She sure plays a funked up bass! She can also do the jazz thing really well too.

Robert
May 6th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I think she left. Prince seems to have problems keeping people. I've heard he can be quite demanding.

Have you guys heard One Nite Alone Live? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007JGQ4/104-6101503-4411966?v=glance&n=5174
There's some killer playing going on there! I think that is one of his best albums ever. The funky stuff they do live is insanely groovy. I saw him on that tour here in Canada.

SuperSwede
May 7th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Thanks for that Robert, I think I will pick up that live video. I think that Prince is at his best when playing live.
Imho he is a very ambivalent artist, he can go from very good to very bad and then back again. ;)
I love his custom made guitars.

Spudman
May 7th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I think she left. Prince seems to have problems keeping people. I've heard he can be quite demanding.

I played with a bass player that auditioned for Prince and could have had the gig, but instead Prince chose Rhonda. This guy is awesome, had the look and made it to the last 2 or 3 spot on the list. You know why he didn't get the gig? Because he had Played with Faith Hill. When Prince found out who Faith was and that she was country this guy was dismissed with hardly another word. Isn't that strange? Kind of like telling Jaco that he cant play with Weather Report because he gigged with Joni Mitchell.

warren0728
May 7th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I played with a bass player that auditioned for Prince and could have had the gig, but instead Prince chose Rhonda.
yeah...but rhonda was cuter :D

ww

Spudman
May 7th, 2006, 02:48 PM
yeah...but rhonda was cuter :D

ww

I'm not too sure. Ya Rhonda has a nice face but this guy's butt was way smaller and his dreads were longer.;)

warren0728
May 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Robert
May 7th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Warren, let's not get side tracked...

Prince is hard to work with, or rather, he expects extreme committment from his crew. I read that Candy Dulfer was fired once because she asked if it was really necessary to come immediately to the studio when he called at 4 in the morning. He later hired her back though.

tremoloman
May 9th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I don't know if any of you are Kevin Smith fans, but on the DVD "An Evening With Kevin Smith", he talks about how Prince recruited him to work on a project for him. It's really funny, but you also hear how lousy of a person he can be to people.

If there is any interest, I'll post an audio clip of the segment for you all.

Spudman
May 9th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Trem
Post it. I'd love to hear it.

SuperSwede
May 10th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Me too, please post it....

Robert
May 10th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Ya, post it Tremoloman!

tremoloman
May 16th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Ok, I'll encode the Kevin Smith take on his "Prince Experience" tonight for all of you to hear in its glory. :)

tremoloman
May 18th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Ok, I ripped the entire Kevin Smith section on Prince. It's really funny and the sound quality came out great!

Check here again this evening and I'll post the URL. All I ask is that you give me your opinions on it once you give it a listen. :)

Tone2TheBone
May 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I don't know if any of you are Kevin Smith fans, but on the DVD "An Evening With Kevin Smith", he talks about how Prince recruited him to work on a project for him. It's really funny, but you also hear how lousy of a person he can be to people.

If there is any interest, I'll post an audio clip of the segment for you all.

Geniuses are moody and are allowed this privledge. :)

I'm thinking he gets frustrated with others that can't see inside his head thats all....

SuperSwede
May 18th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking he gets frustrated with others that can't see inside his head thats all....

He should team up with a brain surgeon.

Tone2TheBone
May 18th, 2006, 02:09 PM
He should team up with a brain surgeon.

Hehe yeah really no lie huh. :)

SuperSwede
May 18th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I am only able to speak the truth.. If I lie my nose grows... no wait that was that old story.... hmm

tremoloman
May 18th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Ok, here's Kevin's experience with Prince:
http://www.uploading.com/?get=7KCNBLK8

Tim
May 18th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Tremolo,

There only seems to be audio. Is there video with the link you provided?

SuperSwede
May 19th, 2006, 12:48 AM
I think you missed this Tim ;)

"If there is any interest, I'll post an audio clip of the segment for you all."

Tim
May 19th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Yes sir Super Swede, I certainly did miss the word “audio” in Tremolo’s post. Thanks for pointing that out. I could not figure out why I was not getting any video.

SuperSwede
May 19th, 2006, 05:51 AM
:D no problemos senior Tim

Robert
May 19th, 2006, 07:04 AM
I listened to that mp3 last night. Very interesting to hear some "inside information". Prince is not like the rest of us. I wonder if he's got any kids?

When he played here in Edmonton a few years ago, a music store let him have a rehearsal room for a whole night, and they told his crew they could jam/rehearse there for free. When he came in to the store, there were 3 bodyguards and Prince didn't even look at the store owners. Didn't say "thank you" or something normal like we would have said!

tremoloman
May 19th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Robert,

Sounds like Kevin's experience was similar to the rehersal room. I love the part when he is told "Prince isn't like the rest of us. He's been living in 'Princeland' for some time", or something to that extent. :)

Katastrophe
May 19th, 2006, 03:11 PM
When he played here in Edmonton a few years ago, a music store let him have a rehearsal room for a whole night, and they told his crew they could jam/rehearse there for free. When he came in to the store, there were 3 bodyguards and Prince didn't even look at the store owners. Didn't say "thank you" or something normal like we would have said!

Wow. I appreciate Prince's talent, but he sure can be out there (anybody remember the whole "my name is a symbol" craziness?)... I don't care how rich, famous, or musically talented a person is, there is no excuse for not having basic manners.

If I owned a music store, and was snubbed in that way, I believe my next phrase would be, "The door's right there. You can leave now."

tremoloman
May 22nd, 2006, 08:11 AM
I can't stand people with egos. I guess that's just another reason I'm such a huge fan so Jimi Hendrix and SRV. They had no ego at all and were so open and warm to their fans.

Katastrophe
May 22nd, 2006, 10:24 AM
Tremoloman, your sig speaks volumes...:)

Spudman
September 9th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I've been listening to this album some more and it does kind of grow on you. I do think it would appeal more to a different demographic than guitar players.

One thing I find cool about it is that all most all the drums are programs. That makes me think that if HE can do it then so can I.

The other thing that is cool is that if you want to have a romantic evening with your lady then this is certainly an album that has that flow and groove to it.;)

I can also see it being played at parties consisting of other than "anglos." It has a bit of urban flare about it. It certainly has some hip grinding groove going on. I put a copy in the house music system for a resturant/event banquet room and it keeps people up and moving.

Robert
September 10th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Although Prince may be "out there" in many ways, he is such a fantastic musician. "Get On The Boat" is a great song on 3121. What a groove. Prince is one funky funkateer! I dig his vocal phrasing, I actually learned a lot from that, and it helped me in my guitar playing.

Spudman
November 11th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Well...I keep coming back to this album. At frst I was pretty unimpressed by it and now after many listens I think it's a terrific album. I'm very impressed and really enjoy it. Good stuff!