PDA

View Full Version : Marshal Vintage Modern - Who knows more

Jimi75
June 20th, 2008, 08:24 AM
As some of you might know, I am "on the hunt" for a tube amph. This amph has to cover Blues and Rock for my Band "Jimmy Steeltown & The Rolling Dices" and on the other hand it has to cover METAL for my band "Blood Of God".

The clips on youtube and in the Marshall Theatre kicked me. If the clips already sound that great, what monster must this be in NATURA?

I have only found a short review by Robert, using the search option.

Has anyone of you maybe more detailled infos, experiences or is maybe ows of that amph?

The fact is that I am too much of a bluesguy as to buy a pure metal amp.
Man, the vm sounds so good.........

duhvoodooman
June 20th, 2008, 11:27 AM
No direct experience, but everything I've read about them says they're fantastic amps. Last I heard, Slash was playing one as part of his live rig, and I doubt that he tolerates anything but the best....

R.B. Huckleberry
June 21st, 2008, 07:32 PM
It's a great amp. I played one extensively during my year long amp hunt. It was definitely on the short list.

I got a Dr. Z MAZ 18 instead, but don't take that the wrong way. It just spoke to me more.

The VM will need a "goose" for metal, like a Tube Screamer. There is more sag to the response than an EL34 powered Marshall., and KT66's are pricey.

I found the amp excelled at AC/DC rhythm sounds. :dude:

F_BSurfer
June 22nd, 2008, 07:54 AM
I will give you as much detail as I can couple weeks ago spent about 3 hrs at Music 123 ,30 minutes of that was playing the 100w head through the 4x12 cab with a PRS se. 30 min. is not a lot of time to get to know this amp but it was enough to tell you she got the blues in her. The two stages makes it very versatile and very sweet. low stage was really nice for the blues good crisp cleans with lots of head room rolling back at the guitar the clean was as good as any fender.The high stage will simply blow your hair back very nice vintage Marshall whole lot of tube distortion. I really like that the gain could be controlled nicely for either stage.There was a mid boost at the amp (don't know why this wasn't put on the foot switch)it added a really fat tone. The plate reverb is where I thought it might be lacking some, a little dark not much presence? As soon as get the time I plan on going over with my strat and hooking up two cabs and spending a little more time with it!! If anything Jimi get out and play it, might not fit your bill but it definitely an amp one needs to play !! Oh yea the dark purple is just too cool !!

Jimi75
June 22nd, 2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks so much for your input, it helps a lot!
Can't wait to play it out loud in a store.

sunvalleylaw
June 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
I can't wait to be good enough to play it loud in the store. I would love to be around for your demo. :-)