PDA

View Full Version : Totally confused about which amp..

TS808
June 20th, 2008, 09:20 AM
This has always been a great forum...so I need some advice.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm way over my head with my current amps right now, specifically my tube amps (the Vibrolux and Bluesbreaker clone). Tube amps just aren't practical or sensible for me given my living situation.

I live in a townhouse, so the neighbors are right on top of me, so volume IS an issue, especially since the neighbors on one side have a 1-year old. The tube amps are just too much amp for my needs.

Right now, the best amp for my living situation is the Vox AD50VT 212..it sounds great at any volume, but I'd like something more versatile (ability to store multiple patches, MIDI, etc.)

I'd LOVE to get a Line 6 Flextone III XL (I have a preference for 2 x 12 amps..much fuller sound) but I'm sure the 150 watt rating will only put me in the same situation where I'm scratching my head wondering why I got such a loud amp :thwap:

The Peavey Vypyr 100 watt really has my attention...power attenuator, ability to store multiple patches, etc., and it provides more options than the AD50VT 212..

Again, here are the main three things I want...2 x 12, great at low volumes, versatility in tone....

I realize I probably want to have my cake and eat it too...so...any thoughts??

duhvoodooman
June 20th, 2008, 09:52 AM
It doesn't meet your 2x12 criteria, but I've been reading consistently great reviews of the new Fender Super Champ XD (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075). Great tube tone and super flexibility from the amp voicings and effects. You might want to at least check one out.

TS808
June 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM
It doesn't meet your 2x12 criteria, but I've been reading consistently great reviews of the new Fender Super Champ XD (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075). Great tube tone and super flexibility from the amp voicings and effects. You might want to at least check one out.
That might be the best thing..a 212 might be an unrealistic expectation on my part. Plus, it's a bit frustrating (to say the least) to not be able to use an amp to its capabilities because of the proximity to the neighbors.

Katastrophe
June 20th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Really, if you don't play out, a 5 watt tube amph will be more than enough to meet your needs. Those suckers can get loud!

The good thing about a modeler is that you can turn the sound down and it won't affect the tone as much. You already have that with the Vox.

Of course, you could buy a power attenuator for your current tube amphs, but they can be kind of pricey.

I wouldn't get rid of the tube amphs, personally. You have some great equipment, and your living situation may change. It's much easier to keep what you have than to have to buy another tube amph should you want another one.

TS808
June 20th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Really, if you don't play out, a 5 watt tube amph will be more than enough to meet your needs. Those suckers can get loud!

The good thing about a modeler is that you can turn the sound down and it won't affect the tone as much. You already have that with the Vox.

Of course, you could buy a power attenuator for your current tube amphs, but they can be kind of pricey.

I wouldn't get rid of the tube amphs, personally. You have some great equipment, and your living situation may change. It's much easier to keep what you have than to have to buy another tube amph should you want another one.
Good point...I think it's more a frustration issue right now...I've been playing now more than ever, and it's killing me to not be able to use my amps to their fullest. I'd hate to get rid of the tube amps to be honest...they sound GREAT.

We plan on staying in our place for a while longer...maybe "soundproofing" the room might be a good alternative :D

scgmhawk
June 20th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I have the AD50VT 212 as well, and really like it. Are there any products that you could buy to allow greater patch storage capabilities with the vox? That might be an option if they exist.

sumitomo
June 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Just a thought but a toneport and a cheap small amp might fit the bill.Lots of different amps and headphones to boot.Sumi:D

Jimi75
June 21st, 2008, 02:13 AM
Here's my two cents:
Don't buy the Flextone XL III. I have this amp and it really doesn't sound good. It was a mistake to buy this amp. The amp deons't sound organic or dynamic and it is pretty loud, means even if you turn it on volume 1 or 2 it is loud. To get a good playable sound out of it you have to play it around volume 3-4.
Playing with a band you will see that this amp doens't cut through. It's loud but there is no power or dynamics behind it.

The modelings I have heard of the VOX amps are better. I do not know how far the VOX cut through in a live situation with a band, but I am sure it does a better job.

mechanic
June 21st, 2008, 05:01 AM
You could try a isolation cabinet around a speaker cab.
That would allow you to crank your amp without it getting really loud.
The other suggestion I would give you is maybe you could check out the Peavey Windsor studio amp. 15 tube watts and it has a built in attenuator or "power sponge" so you can crank it up and keep the volume low as well.

TS808
June 21st, 2008, 05:17 AM
I think I'll wait for the new Peavey Vypyr series to come out, and look at those since they have the built in power attenuator. Also, maybe the Vox Black Diamond series may come out with a lower wattage version.

I figured the Flextone III XL was overkill for my situation...I owned an original Flextone XL and it wasn't very loud and worked out well for a home situation.