PDA

View Full Version : Rake?

tot_Ou_tard
June 20th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Sunvalley mentioned a rake in his thred on guitar lessons.

ummm, what's raking?

Is that slowly moving the pick across the strings?

sunvalleylaw
June 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM
It is hitting muted strings in succession, often on the way to hitting strings that are going to be played. The muted strings make a noise, but don't ring out, as the pick goes across them. I was learning it in the context of a Tom Petty lick from Mary Jane's last dance that has the pick raking across muted E, A, D, strings and playing the G and B strings. Does that make sense?

tot_Ou_tard
June 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM
It is hitting muted strings in succession, often on the way to hitting strings that are going to be played. The muted strings make a noise, but don't ring out, as the pick goes across them. I was learning it in the context of a Tom Petty lick from Mary Jane's last dance that has the pick raking across muted E, A, D, strings and playing the G and B strings. Does that make sense?
Yes it does. Thanks Sunvalley!

luvmyshiner
June 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure I understand it yet, but I'm intrigued enough to check it out and give it a try. Sometimes I'll mute all the strings a little when I'm strumming, on the off stroke, gives it kind of a gritty sound, but I've never tried combining the two.

sunvalleylaw
June 20th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah, players do completely muted rakes, like you are saying Shiner, as a rhythm thing all the time. SRV, Mayer, others come to mind. SRV liked to combine raking muted strings on the way to playing strings as well, as I understand. Lots of other players do too.

marnold
June 21st, 2008, 08:28 AM
SRV does one right at the beginning of "Little Wing."

sunvalleylaw
June 21st, 2008, 08:36 AM

Yeah, thanks Marnold. I couldn't think of an example last night. Re: the complete rakes Shiner, think the Clash on "Should I Stay or Should I Go" right in the beginning.

trolcS3V7dY&feature=related

tot_Ou_tard
June 21st, 2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks Marnold!

Always good to hear an example.

marnold
June 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
More completely, I should say that Jimi did it first:
oBRos4hBst8

and then Stevie did it:
zAG-kX_IlUw