PDA

View Full Version : The Unidentified Squier

just strum
June 21st, 2008, 06:33 AM
Well, still can't figure out what model this Squier is and I guess it doesn't matter make or model as long as it sounds good.

I removed the strings this morning. The G, B, and e were black (actually rust). Last night when I was playing it I would look down and it looked more like it only had E, A, and D strings.

Scrubbed the fretboard, cleaned the pups and bridge. Cleaned the headstock and tuners. I'll have to condition the fretboard - go back and read the recent thread on that subject. Then I will go out and get some strings. I always had new sets of strings at the house, but guitar purchases have depleted the stock.

Did I mention in the other thread that part of this guitar were dirty?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture292.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture293.jpg

luvmyshiner
June 21st, 2008, 06:35 AM
Dang Strum, that just looks nasty.:puke:

The good news is dirt cleans off. I'm glad the rest of the guitar is in sound shape.

Algonquin
June 21st, 2008, 07:16 AM
Looking good Strum! :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
June 21st, 2008, 08:15 AM
Wow, I feel like you are rescuing a worthy old dog out of the kennel and cleaning him up so he can feel right and play again. Right on! :AOK:

duhvoodooman
June 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM
Whoa! That's impressively cruddy! Keep scrubbin'.... :AOK:

BTW, if you're going to continue being a guitar buyin'-and-sellin' magnate, suggest you start buying strings by the 10-pack! I get D'Addario packs for $30 that way all the time....

just strum
June 21st, 2008, 11:19 AM
Whoa! That's impressively cruddy! Keep scrubbin'.... :AOK:

BTW, if you're going to continue being a guitar buyin'-and-sellin' magnate, suggest you start buying strings by the 10-pack! I get D'Addario packs for $30 that way all the time....

I ordered a 10 pack last night, but decided to run out and get some strings today (did I ever mention I was impatient?).

Cleaned up and conditioned the fretboard.

the body looks beige, but it's yellow.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture295.jpg

and the fretboard

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture296.jpg

duhvoodooman
June 21st, 2008, 11:23 AM
Well, awright!! Cleaning up nicely!! :AOK: :dude: :bravo:

luvmyshiner
June 21st, 2008, 11:57 AM
Nice job Strummy! That fretboard looks clean enough to eat off of.

M29
June 21st, 2008, 12:00 PM
I'd like to chow off that fretboard, it is lookin sweet strum:AOK: It is awesome to bring something back like this, it really personalizes it. Your going to feel good when you start strummin that baby.

M29

ZMAN
June 21st, 2008, 12:06 PM
That looks awful nice for 91 dollars. Single ply guard, stamped saddles, the roasewood looks pretty nice when cleaned up.
What type of serial number does it have? Can you tell the date?
You must be very happy with two really nice guitars for under 300 bucks!

Katastrophe
June 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
Man, Strum, your new guitfiddle cleans up nice!

I have a couple around the house that could use the same treatment if you're interested. I'd have to pay you in beer and barbecue, though.:D

luvmyshiner
June 21st, 2008, 01:15 PM
I'd have to pay you in beer and barbecue, though.:D

If Strum can't make it call me. I can be there in a half an hour.:D :beer:

I've been known to stand on a street corner holding a sign that reads "Will practice law for beer".

Spudman
June 21st, 2008, 06:20 PM
That looks like either a Cort or Vester factory Korean. What does the serial number start with?

just strum
June 21st, 2008, 06:29 PM
That looks like either a Cort or Vester factory Korean. What does the serial number start with?

IC040827

street music
June 21st, 2008, 06:49 PM
Good job Strum, where did you find the dirty ole Strat?

just strum
June 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Good job Strum, where did you find the dirty ole Strat?

ebay

It's a Strat 91, because I don't have a clue what it is.

Spudman
June 21st, 2008, 10:09 PM
I'll need to see the shape of the headstock but from the serial number it is a Cort Indonesian made.

just strum
June 21st, 2008, 10:13 PM
I'll need to see the shape of the headstock but from the serial number it is a Cort Indonesian made.

"...from the serial number it is a Cort Indonesian " is that good, bad, or means little?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/0338_1.jpg

Spudman
June 21st, 2008, 11:23 PM
I guess I should have been more specific...the front please.

Cort has a very good reputation. Their Korean factories are responsible for a large percentage of Ibanez guitars. I have several Korean Cort factory guitars under a variety of manufacturers names and I like every one of them.

So far their Indonesian factory seems to be of good quality as well.

just strum
June 22nd, 2008, 12:02 AM
I guess I should have been more specific...the front please.

Cort has a very good reputation. Their Korean factories are responsible for a large percentage of Ibanez guitars. I have several Korean Cort factory guitars under a variety of manufacturers names and I like every one of them.

So far their Indonesian factory seems to be of good quality as well.

No marking -
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Picture299.jpg

robert43
June 22nd, 2008, 01:58 AM
Looks nice any pictures of it when you got it ( I cant find it )

Spudman
June 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
This one is kind of tuff. It's either a Standard or Affinity.
Most of the standards that had the single ply pickguard also had different style tuners. I think Affinities may have all come with cast Ping style tuners but I haven't seen an Affinity with a single ply pickguard. mostly they have 3 ply.

You might have a combination of guitar parts there. I'm not sure. I'll keep digging and see what I can find out. I'm sure you'll want to know whether your new child is legitimate or not.:D

luvmyshiner
June 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
I'm sure you'll want to know whether your new child is legitimate or not.:D

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard that.:thwap:

just strum
June 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
This one is kind of tuff. It's either a Standard or Affinity.
Most of the standards that had the single ply pickguard also had different style tuners. I think Affinities may have all come with cast Ping style tuners but I haven't seen an Affinity with a single ply pickguard. mostly they have 3 ply.

You might have a combination of guitar parts there. I'm not sure. I'll keep digging and see what I can find out. I'm sure you'll want to know whether your new child is legitimate or not.:D

The tuners are the same as my Squier Deluxe, the pick guard may be a replacement as if seems to be buckled from too short of a distance between two screws, but that can be poor assembly. Everything else seems to fit well indicating decent assembly.

The saddles are different than the Bullet I had that if I recall was thin stamped and rolled metal. I'll try to capture a picture to show you, unfortunately I don't have the Bullet here to compare.

Check out the rust on those screws.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Picture305.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Picture303.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Picture300.jpg

duhvoodooman
June 22nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
It's a Strat 91, because I don't have a clue what it is.
That serial number would seem to indicate it's a 2004. And I've read that the Affinity's have the 6-screw vintage-style trem and 21 frets, both of which your Strat has....

just strum
June 22nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
That serial number would seem to indicate it's a 2004. And I've read that the Affinity's have the 6-screw vintage-style trem and 21 frets, both of which your Strat has....

It has a nice sound, I don't have to worry about banging it around, so I guess I'm just happy knowing it's a guitar.

Spudman
June 22nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Affinity.
It's considered a lower end Squier but I don't know why. THey have nice necks and a thinner body which sometimes can resonate very nicely. Some GFS premium pickups and new pots and off to the gig you go.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard that.:thwap:

Check is in the mail.
You'll probably want a dollar for every time you've heard that too.:D

duhvoodooman
June 22nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
It has a nice sound, I don't have to worry about banging it around, so I guess I'm just happy knowing it's a guitar.
Exactly how I feel about my $86 MIK Squier Strat! It's how it feels, plays and sounds for you that counts, not its "pedigree". Now, if you'd paid $1500 for it, that would be different.... :rockon:

just strum
June 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Affinity.
It's considered a lower end Squier but I don't know why. THey have nice necks and a thinner body which sometimes can resonate very nicely. Some GFS premium pickups and new pots and off to the gig you go.

Check is in the mail.
You'll probably want a dollar for every time you've heard that too.:D

American Strat = 1.814
Squier Deluxe = 1.770
Squier Affinity (I still like the sound of Squier 91) = 1.672

Just verified with my calipers.

So 0.142 saved me about $1,100 to $1,200. Well that and pups, pots, wood type, tuners...

It's my new Pete Townsend guitar. Now Spud, about that amp you were going to loan me.

Hey, thanks for checking it out.

I was going to increase the value with a cigarette burn, but I figure the times they are a changing. So I am starting a new trend and have a rotting carat stick stuck behind E and A on the headstock.

Spudman
June 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
It's my new Pete Townsend guitar. Now Spud, about that amp you were going to loan me.

Hey, thanks for checking it out.

I was going to increase the value with a cigarette burn, but I figure the times they are a changing. So I am starting a new trend and have a rotting carat stick stuck behind E and A on the headstock.

Humus on the control knobs is the new 'in thing" along with a Greenpeace sticker on the case.

The amph is in the mail (Shiner gets your check).

I've played some Affinities that were pretty cool guitars like yours probably is. I wouldn't even give a second thought as to what it is if it makes you happy. Play it proud and make a lot of noise.