PDA

View Full Version : Quick Pick Guard Question

just strum
June 21st, 2008, 01:58 PM
Does a Fender Strat pick guard fit on a Squier Strat? I was wondering if all the various holes line up (screw, pups, knob shafts).

Dauntless
June 21st, 2008, 02:03 PM
I've put 2 Fender pickguards up to my Squier and they line up fairly well.
You lookin' to mod your Deluxe?

just strum
June 21st, 2008, 02:14 PM
I've put 2 Fender pickguards up to my Squier and they line up fairly well.
You lookin' to mod your Deluxe?

Ha, ha - No.

I was looking at putting a different guard on the Strat 91 (since I'm not sure of the model, that's what I am calling it since that is what I paid for it).

indianjjy
June 21st, 2008, 05:16 PM
I just bought a 3 ply pick quard for my tele and it showed up curled from the heat in transit. Any Ideas other than heat to try and straighten it out. It curls up.

Algonquin
June 21st, 2008, 05:23 PM
Not a clue on this one Strummy... (go figure :confused: )

Try the GFS site and see what they have to say about theirs.
David

wingsdad
June 22nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Here's Chandler Pickguards list of Fender & Squier model pickguards. Note they advise all Squiers require submitting a tracing.
Chandler Pickguards (http://www.pickguards.us/pricestrat.html)
Navigate the site to see the Group A-E material & color choices and how to order. Chandler is G&L's pg supplier.

just strum
June 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Here's Chandler Pickguards list of Fender & Squier model pickguards. Note they advise all Squiers require submitting a tracing.
Chandler Pickguards (http://www.pickguards.us/pricestrat.html)
Navigate the site to see the Group A-E material & color choices and how to order. Chandler is G&L's pg supplier.

I don't know if I am reading that site correctly, but they look awfully expensive for a piece of plastic and 2x everyone else.

What do you all, sorry what do all, ya all think of mint green pick guard on a yellow guitar --- hmm, think about it.

F_BSurfer
June 23rd, 2008, 03:56 AM
I'm not to sure how the mint green would look on the yellow but if that's the route you go I have a fender mint green guard, I'm sure we can work something out to get your way.

SuperSwede
June 23rd, 2008, 04:07 AM
You can try all kinds of neat combinations here:

http://www.nymphusa.com/kisekae/kisekaeE1.asp

just strum
June 23rd, 2008, 04:40 PM
You can try all kinds of neat combinations here:

http://www.nymphusa.com/kisekae/kisekaeE1.asp

How did you get the thumbnail of the guitar, I can't copy mine. Is that another MAC thing?

sunvalleylaw
June 23rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
you visit the page by clicking the "KISEKAE Virtual Guitar Modeling System" link on this page:
http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/

third link down I believe.

Then you select the guitar you want to design and start selecting options. You do not need to load in or copy an image of your guitar.

just strum
June 23rd, 2008, 05:15 PM
you visit the page by clicking the "KISEKAE Virtual Guitar Modeling System" link on this page:
http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/

third link down I believe.

Then you select the guitar you want to design and start selecting options. You do not need to load in or copy an image of your guitar.

I did all that, what I want is a copy of my creation.

sunvalleylaw
June 23rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Oh. I "captured" the window as a JPEG, I believe I used "Grab" in the mac world. There must be a windows equivalent that lets you take a pic of a window open on your computer. Then save it as a jpeg and you upload it like normal.

Rocket
June 23rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Just do a screen save and crop it in Paint and save as jpg or gif.

just strum
June 23rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
How's this for something that stands out. Sort of like a Buddy Guy attention getter.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guit1.gif

sunvalleylaw
June 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
How's this for something that stands out. Sort of like a Buddy Guy attention getter.

Hmmm, Kermit's muppet strat! He finally succumbed and married Miss Piggy, and quickly learned to play and sing the blues. :D It ain't easy being green.

It looks very fun!

robert43
June 24th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I just bought a 3 ply pick quard for my tele and it showed up curled from the heat in transit. Any Ideas other than heat to try and straighten it out. It curls up.
Hi I would try a moderate oven install then when it goes flat up on a try & take out or a hair dryer

SuperSwede
June 24th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Wicked ! :AOK:

ShortBuSX
July 28th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Back in the day, riding BMXs with plastic mags, when theyd warp wed stick them in the freezer to straighten them out....you might give that a try before cooking it.

peachhead
July 29th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Since we are in a pickguard thread...

just out of curiosity, what happens when the holes don't match up exactly? I was looking at the guitar fetish site and they caution that almost always, you will have to adjust some of the holes when retrofitting a pickguard. The thought of drilling holes in a Strat makes me queasy. Or am I just being a wuss?

ShortBuSX
July 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Since we are in a pickguard thread...

just out of curiosity, what happens when the holes don't match up exactly? I was looking at the guitar fetish site and they caution that almost always, you will have to adjust some of the holes when retrofitting a pickguard. The thought of drilling holes in a Strat makes me queasy. Or am I just being a wuss?

There are plenty of pickguard sites that offer pickguards for your particular model...but just out of curiousity, what brand/model Strat do you have? Maybe I can help, as I was just searching for MIM pickguards.

peachhead
July 29th, 2008, 09:40 PM
That's it, a standard MIM. Right now it's just white. I was wondering about a pearloid or tortoise shell one. Might look kinda neat.

ShortBuSX
July 29th, 2008, 10:13 PM
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/genuinefenderstdstrat.htm (http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pickguards_genuinefenderstdstrat.htm)

MIM's like yours and mine should be easy...I just ordered one today, I'll let you know how well it fits, but I dont expect any problems.

ShortBuSX
August 1st, 2008, 10:58 AM
I decided against going with GuitarPartsResource, they never answered their phone or returned voicemail. I bought a 3 ply BWB for my MIM from World Music Supply (http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/guitars/accessories/misc-accessories/Fender/099-1359-000.asp). It arrived today via DHL, surrounded by several very stiff brochures, my pickguard showed up very flat...and to my surprise, nicely shielded!:AOK:

Id never heard of World Music Supply, but nice service.:AOK:

Duff
August 31st, 2008, 08:52 PM
When I put my black pearl pickguard on my free black affinity, I lined up the holes so as many as possible would fit and screwed some in. Then it was apparent that some of the holes were not lining up right. I took some wood chips and super glue and partially filled in the significantly offset holes and let that dry while I drilled the new holes were the old holes didn't even show. Then I drilled out the new holes in the patched hole areas and put the new screws in.

Everything turned out great, with no exposed holes showing anywhere. The new pickguard covered everything. I, personally, don't care about drilling the new holes. The guitar looks better and didn't, in my opinion, decrease in value. I'm not selling it and wouldn't get much anyway. So I want my guitars to look the way I want them to look; not the way the next guy wants them to look.

I want my jobs to look professional though.

I was thinking if I ever wanted to get a guitar body painted I would try to bring it to a car collision shop and see what they would charge to do a professional urethane, or whatever, paint job. I bet it wouldn't be much and you could get the paint mixed at an auto paint supply house and select any color you wanted, metallic or otherwise. I heard even some of those auto paint supply places do some small paint jobs like motorcycle plastic parts. You would probably get a really nice paint job. Like candy black cherry metallic or a real cool sea foam green metallic or just plain sea foam green. They'd be able to do it.

Just some thoughts. Hope they help someone.

Duffy

ShortBuSX
August 31st, 2008, 08:59 PM
Find you a good wood glue for future mods, more like glue less like plastic and it wont expand as much either. Wood glue and toothpicks work wonders for just about any hole repair...bamboo skewers work awesome on strap pins though, I use this technique everytime I install a set of strap locks with the stupid small fine threaded screws!

Everybody thinks of auto paint, but you can get high quality paints in a spray can...look into some of the fancier guitar parts sites, they have stuff like Nitro and other high quality paints for guitar projects.

tunghaichuan
August 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
I've been making my own pickguards for years. I generally use a laminate trimmer with a collar and straight cutting bit to rough out the blank using an existing pickguard. Then I use a pattern cutting bit mounted in a router table to cut the new pickguard to the exact size. I find that I have to use a spacer between the original and the blank as there is a gap between the cutters and the ball bearing guide on the router bit. I cut out all the pickup holes as well. The only thing I haven't figured out how to do yet is to cut the slot for the 3/5-way switch.

Bevelling is kind of a PITA, but it can be done.

When I build my strat clone out of Warmoth parts, I didn't get the pickguard on straight. I ended up using an 1/8" drill bit and dowelled the holes using a birch dowell. I left a bit of the dowel sticking up above the body. To cut if flush I used a flush-cutting saw (you can get them at Home Depot; there is also a Japanese-tool version). I put a piece of masking tape on either side of the dowel so that I wouldn't scratch the finish.

tung

Duff
September 1st, 2008, 03:37 AM
I wasn't referring to spray painting the body of the guitar myself when I mentioned auto paint.

What I meant was to take your stripped down and possibly sanded guitar body to an auto collison place with some pre picked out high quality super hard drying auto type paint like urethane enamel, and have the professional spray painter spray the guitar for you. I doubt it would cost much because you would have done the prep job and he his the right place to let the paint dry in a controlled, isolated environment free from any bugs, airborne debris, etc.

Spray painting is not as easy as it seems, and to do it properly you need to spray on primer that sticks to the wood better than the final coat. Then spray the final coat onto the primer which adheres to the primer better that it would to the wood. In this way you get a double adherence factor that really sticks well and is not likely to scratch off easily as with your fingernail. Also the auto place might put on a clear coat over the paint and buff it up a little.

I might do this with something that I'd like to optimize the color of. I've always wanted a sea foam green and that metallic idea sounds even neater.

Sure you could spray the body yourself and I'm sure many have; however, this is an amateurish way to approach this and the results will likely be not the same as those yielded by a pro painter that does Corvettes' etc.

Then again, Neil Young's black LP was a gold top that some body painted black with a paint brush. So what's wrong with that?

I'm just thinking of getting a guitar done really nice in a special way at a fairly cheap price. I might do this soon just to see how it comes out.

Duffy

TS808
September 1st, 2008, 06:24 AM
One of the more affordable sites for strat pickguards is: www.stewmac.com

Their pickguards are high quality AND affordable. In fact, their pricing on a number of things (such as tuners and trems) is very good. With their pickguards, the holes for the tone and volume pots are drilled out a bit smaller for imports, but you can easy file/dremmel them bigger to the correct size for MIM or American strats/teles.

TS808
September 1st, 2008, 06:26 AM
I've had that situation happen before too, and alot of times, I'll either return the pickguard, or just put it on, depending on how badly warped it is. Sometimes they'll lay flat if they aren't warped too badly.

tunghaichuan
September 1st, 2008, 07:31 AM
TS808,

Do you have any experience with Stew-Mac's guitar bodies an necks? They sell finished necks and bodies for $125 and $195 respectively. I believe that they are made in Korea for Mighty Mite. Ever used either or know anything about them?

tung

One of the more affordable sites for strat pickguards is: www.stewmac.com

Their pickguards are high quality AND affordable. In fact, their pricing on a number of things (such as tuners and trems) is very good. With their pickguards, the holes for the tone and volume pots are drilled out a bit smaller for imports, but you can easy file/dremmel them bigger to the correct size for MIM or American strats/teles.