PDA

View Full Version : GPS on the way!

Algonquin
June 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM
I ordered a new GPS the other day. I was given the green light to purchase one as a Father's Day gift. :AOK:

My old one died back in 2006, so it was time to get a new one. I ordered a handheld unit as opposed to one that's designed for automotive use.

I went for the Garmin 76Cx. It's a nice little unit that has a micro SD slot for increased memory storage. It's a waterproof unit that actually floats! (waterproof is great, but won't do me much good if it's at the bottom of a lake). The next model up (+$50) had an electronic compass, and an altimeter... neither feature interested me.

A colour screen and AA batteries that last 18 hours helped me make my decision. I'm not a huge fan of proprietary batteries... give me good old available anywhere AA's anyday!

This is in no ways a necessity for hiking or canoing, but it does have it's place. Nothing can replace a good compass and map, but it's nice to be able to track how far you've canoe'd or hiked. For fishing, it's great that you can mark hotspots, and return to them within three metre's of accuracy (10 ft)! I will order a bike mount for it shortly. This is nice for judging speed and distance travelled. They were out of stock on these, and I didn't want the shipment delayed. Same goes for the Topographic maps... I'll likely get the 'Canada' version once they get them in stock... Pricey, but maybe worth it. I'm not one that usually orders online, but a shop in Calgary Alberta had the best price going (including shipping)

Any other Fretters out there with GPS units? I've been eagerly watching Purolator's site as my shipment aproaches Ontario!

GAS... but of a different variety! :bravo:

Cheers :beer:
David

ted s
June 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Today must be the unofficial Canadian Gadget day.
We bought a Garmin C330 last year before our drive to Myrtle Beach.
The "plan? was to return it when we got back...
ya right..
We obviously don't need it driving around town, but it sure is handy in an unfamiliar area. No regrets with that purchase.

just strum
June 21st, 2008, 05:09 PM
Today must be the unofficial Canadian Gadget day.
The "plan? was to return it when we got back...
ya right..
We obviously don't need it driving around town, but it sure is handy in an unfamiliar area. No regrets with that purchase.

Hah, I could use it every time I come up there!!!:D Just leave it for me at the border because shortly after the crossing I'm LOST!!!

Algonquin
June 21st, 2008, 05:12 PM
You and me both brother!... I hate traveling in unknown territory!

M29
June 21st, 2008, 05:15 PM
I have had a Garmin Etrex for a few years and I don't use it much but when I want to it is awesome! It has a little trouble coming in in the woods now and then. Someone suggested that you hold it away from your body and it should come in better. I thought that was kind of dumb and then tried it out of desperation and it did work. Doh....And I thought I knew everything:thwap:

They are great on trips. I like how they tell you where you are and what direction you are going. Knowing how to use a compass and map like you say is still necessary but these cool gadgets sure are a lot of fun.

Cool thread Algonquin and Happy Fathers day.

M29

Algonquin
June 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM
Coolio Barry! As much as I pretend... I have no clue where I'm gonig!

Tim
June 21st, 2008, 06:40 PM
I am looking for a GPS to buy. My need is to locate different company's that I will be visiting to perform audits. i was going to but a Tom Tom. Any suggestions on another model to buy? How good are the hand held models? How big are their screens?

Justaguyin_nc
June 22nd, 2008, 12:51 AM
Garmin Mobile PC 20X... it works..
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13484

SuperSwede
June 22nd, 2008, 01:45 AM
I´ve got a cell phone with TomTom built in. It doesnt float though ;)

Tim
June 22nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Garmin Mobile PC 20X... it works..
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13484

A laptop would not decorate my dashboard very well plus there is no way to secure it. The roads here in Pittsburgh get very crowded with stop and go traffic. I am looking for a GPS that has a screen that can be seen and also easy to navigate through. There are hundreds of business throughout the Pittsburgh area that are on small back streets that I will have to find. I think a handheld will be too small. I also want it to talk to me with a nice female sexy voice.:bravo:

warren0728
June 22nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
my dad has the same model and is really happy with it....i played with it a little and it is pretty slick!

ww

SuperSwede
June 22nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
A laptop would not decorate my dashboard very well plus there is no way to secure it. The roads here in Pittsburgh get very crowded with stop and go traffic. I am looking for a GPS that has a screen that can be seen and also easy to navigate through. There are hundreds of business throughout the Pittsburgh area that are on small back streets that I will have to find. I think a handheld will be too small. I also want it to talk to me with a nice female sexy voice.:bravo:

1. Stop at your nearest gas station.

2. Buy a map

3. Give the map to your wife and have her read the directions.
:D

Simon
June 22nd, 2008, 09:42 AM
For no-frills get-me-there gadgets the entry level Garmins always get's good reviews. Bought one for my parents and I agree.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

Consider wheter you would like TMC as an option
http://www8.garmin.com/traffic/fm/index.jsp, then you wil have to move a bit up in the range.
- TMC is supposed to warn you about traffic congestion, road work etc. I don't know if it's worth it in N.America (requires subscription), but in Europe it is free and somewhat popular.

Spudman
June 22nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
I have the Garmin Etrex Legend (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=173). I take it on all my mountain climbing adventures and it lets me know the precise location I'm at when I finally admit I'm lost. Very handy indeed.:)

I wish I knew how to use it better though. I try to use different functions but I'm not sure I'm doing them correctly. I'm pretty sure it has more to offer than I'm using.

Justaguyin_nc
June 22nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
A laptop would not decorate my dashboard very well plus there is no way to secure it.

There are alot of mounts for laptops in cars these days..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150254287273&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSEC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=150114064463&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&usedrule2=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu% 3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D1

check out the pics.. it actually works out very well..even in my small pickup..

and my eyes... they just can't keep up with those lil dashmount ones...

this is the OLD blind people that drive GPS!

Umm... you can also keep your clients on the same laptop and watch a dvd during lunch...:)
:AOK:

ted s
June 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
I've used both my Garmin C330 and a TomTom 1.
Personally I found the Garmin's interface a little easier. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate purchasing the TT if I was looking again.