PDA

View Full Version : Street Fair

evenkeel
June 22nd, 2008, 06:33 AM
Spent yesterday afternoon at a local event. Great day, big crowds and lots of very good local music. Three stages, lots of food and drink vendors. One stage had mostly hard rock and hip hop acts. A second stage was a mix of bands playing everything from classic rock, to sea shantys, Irish jigs, very eclectic mix, and the third strictly acoustic. We drifted between all three, but did not spend a lot of time at stage one. One act that did capture my attention was a group of kids who clearly had been listening to Zeppelin, AC/DC, the Who., etc.. All original material, very well done.

On the second stage a real stand out was a local group called "Them Eastport Oyster Boys". All original material, combining everything from Boogie Woogie piano, Beach Boys harmonies, island rhythms, blues, rock and everything else. Another group did lots of covers, including traditional Irish music, Charlie Daniels and U2. Wierd but wonderful mix.

The acoustic stage had a mix of bands and solo acts. Some good some not so much. A trio called "Pressing Strings" stood out, Jon Mayer, Dave Mathews influenced. Then a solo female, who had a bit of a Alanis Morisette and Joni Mitchell sound. She had one tune that really got my attention. In addition to a strong melody and lyrics she had this way of playing where she used her ring finger and pinkie of her right hand to tap out a rhythm on the guitar top while strumming and picking. Great sound.

tot_Ou_tard
June 22nd, 2008, 06:56 AM
I love a street fair with good music!

Seems like a nice variety.