PDA

View Full Version : Article on Jimi Hendrix museum in Seattle

tjcurtin1
June 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
HI all,

This in Today's Boston Globe travel section:

http://www.boston.com/travel/getaways/us/galleries/hendrix_seattle/

With some photos from the museum as well. Better check it soon - I don't know how long they leave pages accessible without registering on the site.

just strum
June 22nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks tjcurtin1,

some nice photos. Has anyone here been to the museum or the grave site?

evenkeel
June 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Great pics. Thanks for the ink. I've been trying to work up a acoustic cover of "The Wind Cries Mary". Trying is the operative word.

sunvalleylaw
June 22nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
We are going to Seattle Center with the kids when we visit the folks here pretty soon. I hope to add on a visit to the Hendrix museum.

Jimi75
June 23rd, 2008, 03:53 AM
Man, I was there on 1998 when they were building it. If I find the time I will post some pix.

Kazz
June 23rd, 2008, 04:48 AM
I lived 4 1/2 hours away from Seattle when I was in Oregon and the blasted ex-wife would never agree to a weekend up there....the marriage was doomed from the start.

sunvalleylaw
June 23rd, 2008, 07:16 AM
Man, I was there on 1998 when they were building it. If I find the time I will post some pix.

We moved from there in '98. I can't remember if it was open yet before we moved. We go back every year for at least one visit for one or two weeks, but have never made it to the museum. :thwap: I am going to try to bump it up on the list since we will be right there anyway this time. We have promised to take the kids up the Space Needle (built the year I was born there), and the museum is practically next door. I would love to see your pics. :beer:

warren0728
June 23rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
i have a buddy who just moved back to seattle....gonna take the kids out there sometime for a vacation and will definitely check it out! :rockon:

ww

aeolian
June 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Interesting set of pictures. I live in Portland but have never made it up to Seattle to visit the museum.

On one picture I noticed something that intrigued me. Jimi's image is him playing the upside-down Strat because he is left-handed, but one of the pictures shows him writing lyrics and the hand is writing right-handed. Does anyone know if he writes right-handed but does everything left-handed? I find this curious.

Bloozcat
June 23rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
I went there two years ago...

My wife was a good sport and put up with my indulging myself for an hour or two at the musuem. The Hendrix exhibit is a part of the larger Experience Music Project.

I enjoyed it, but that's probably not a surprise to anyone here...;)

I never did make it to the grave, though. My wife kind of balked at that. Same thing happened when I tried to get her to go to Jim Morrison's grave in Paris, too.

Iago
June 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Interesting set of pictures. I live in Portland but have never made it up to Seattle to visit the museum.

On one picture I noticed something that intrigued me. Jimi's image is him playing the upside-down Strat because he is left-handed, but one of the pictures shows him writing lyrics and the hand is writing right-handed. Does anyone know if he writes right-handed but does everything left-handed? I find this curious.

That`s right. I`ve seen a video of him in an autograph session somewhere (it`s on Youtube) and he indeed was right-handed. Hendrix would also hand-shake with his right hand, a friend read this in some biography. He was a left handed for guitars only it seems.

Robert
June 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
I'd sure love to go to that museum. Maybe I'll run Seattle Marathon one year and go visit that place when I catch my breath.

warren0728
June 23rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
I'd sure love to go to that museum. Maybe I'll run Seattle Marathon one year and go visit that place when I catch my breath.
with you and your incredibly large fast veins....you could probably visit the museum during the race and still win!! :AOK:

ww

sunvalleylaw
June 23rd, 2008, 10:03 PM

I ran that marathon, and the 1/2 the next year. Nice race, but generally a colder, rainy time of year. There was unusual snow on the ground the day I raced the marathon. I ran it with my wife and some friends, and my Dad also completed it that day. He was in his 60's at the time. :AOK:

This was, however, before the museum. I got to tour the underground parking lot at UW, and try and warm up with a piece of mylar wrapped around me while huddling in front of one of those tube shaped construction heaters. :D