PDA

View Full Version : the inner ear...

Childbride
June 22nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
[...]

shiner started doing this 6-8 months ago. [usually to a star trek episode] he would hear the music, and just start figuring out the chords. i watched in consternation.

today, out of the blue, just strumming on my sx randomly, feeling the freedom of not having to perform anything for my lesson tomorrow,

i suddenly had a memory of a family member, which triggered an autonomic song response, and started hearing pink floyd's 'wish you were here' in my brain. and i just started playing the chords.

i downloaded them to check, and i was right.

this is scarily thrilling. does it get better? am i going to be able to follow songs better now?

maybe a precursor to being able to write my first song...

just strum
June 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
It's another step into the dark side. Let your fears go and step over to the other side, the dark side.

street music
June 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Big step forward CB, I'm starting recognize more and more chords, I still have trouble with single notes. My mom and brother play piano by ear and they tell me it will come to the ear.

M29
June 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
Cool CB:dude: I find myself doing that as well. Sometimes I can guess low E in my head when tuning. Not very often though:thwap: It is great when we feel progress.

M29

Spudman
June 22nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
That is awesome.

For your first song put together a few chords that you like and then sing articles from your newspaper. It's great training and you won't feel obligated to move the world...until you get more accustomed to inventing.

evenkeel
June 24th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Very cool CB. And it does get better. There is a "light bulb going on" quality to it. Like breaking a code, once you have the code in your brain sometimes it just pops out.

Congrats. :bravo: :bravo:

Childbride
June 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Very cool CB. And it does get better. There is a "light bulb going on" quality to it. Like breaking a code, once you have the code in your brain sometimes it just pops out.

Congrats. :bravo: :bravo:

actually, that's very apropo.

i've even started picking out the lead. like a whole section of your brain turns on at once and the room is flooded with light.

this is Way Cool. :D

just strum
June 24th, 2008, 08:20 PM
actually, that's very apropo.

i've even started picking out the lead. like a whole section of your brain turns on at once and the room is flooded with light.

this is Way Cool. :D

I'm not sure what they call it now, but in my younger days it was acid, LSD, Purple Haze, Orange Sunshine.

Childbride
June 24th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure what they call it now, but in my younger days it was acid, LSD, Purple Haze, Orange Sunshine.

[snicker] [laugh] :rotflmao:

no, really... all of a sudden, i'm hearing chord changes. i had so much music as a kid, then had a 20-year lapse, and all of a sudden, i hear it again. it's like when my muse grabs me and i write. i missed that feeling desperately, and am welcoming it with open arms. i was feeling so stupid at pearl not figuring out what was coming next, but now, i'm starting to get progressions, and 'hearing it'.

Katastrophe
June 24th, 2008, 09:13 PM
There will be a lot more of those moments of inspiration...:bravo:

That's the cool thing about playing guitar, it takes a lifetime to learn, and can be the most frustrating thing in the world, but the rewards are in those moments where everything clicks.

Jimi75
June 25th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Congrats CB! This is a very important step and I highly exciting!

:bravo:

thearabianmage
July 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Awesome! Keep it up - it will never stop as long as you let it grow.

t_ross33
July 3rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
it's like when my muse grabs me and i write. i missed that feeling desperately, and am welcoming it with open arms. i was feeling so stupid at pearl not figuring out what was coming next, but now, i'm starting to get progressions, and 'hearing it'.
A) comes with practice and it does get easier. Since picking up "lead-ish" guitar a couple of years ago and learning something in the neighborhood of 100+ songs for my band, chord progressions are becoming second nature to me. Leads, well that's another story, but I'm working on it.

B) funny you should mention writing. I just enrolled in a University of Saskatchewan Continuing Education program for songwriting - something I dabbled with in my teens and early 20s, but haven't done much, if any, of since I "grew up". Check THIS (http://www.uscad.usask.ca/songwriting)out, then stand back and wait for the hits to start rolling in! :dude::bravo: