PDA

View Full Version : Fingerpicking question

ShootTheGlass
June 23rd, 2008, 04:59 AM
Im still kind of new to all things guitar, but especially fingerpicking. Ive watched a few vids and when plucking, there seems to be two schools of practice; the first is holding the picking fingers at 90° to the strings, and playing with the tip of the finger. The second seems to angle the fingers more, and seems to be playing more with the nail.

Is either considered better than the other? Or is there a better way altogether?

Thanks in advance :)

Jipes
June 23rd, 2008, 06:16 AM
Im still kind of new to all things guitar, but especially fingerpicking. Ive watched a few vids and when plucking, there seems to be two schools of practice; the first is holding the picking fingers at 90° to the strings, and playing with the tip of the finger. The second seems to angle the fingers more, and seems to be playing more with the nail.

Is either considered better than the other? Or is there a better way altogether?

Thanks in advance :)

As for myself as a fingerpicker I use lots of string muting with the palm of my right hand ,so i tend to use the 2nd technique but I'm sure both are fine the first one is heavily use by Flamenco players which attach with the tip of the nails with a 90° angle.

I do a lot of constant bass picking and I've found that letting the palm of the hand resting close to the bridge (specially on my resonator guitar) allows me to play more freely and with less constrain

Jipes

piebaldpython
June 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
As JIPES said, both ways are fine. I myself have my fingers at an angle (other than 90') to the string. I don't use nails at all, just flesh.
Re your question, the problem comes however, when one uses fingerpicks and not bare fingers. Depending on how one holds one's hand, many times you have to rotate the picks on the finger so that they will strike at 90'. If they don't, then you get a lot of unwanted noise as the pick will tend to scrape along the string.

tot_Ou_tard
June 24th, 2008, 05:58 AM
As JIPES said, both ways are fine. I myself have my fingers at an angle (other than 90') to the string. I don't use nails at all, just flesh.

I play blues fingerstyle with the flesh of my fingers & similar to piebald (other than 90 deg).