PDA

View Full Version : RIP George Carlin

stingx
June 23rd, 2008, 06:48 AM
I heard the news early this morning. Very sad to hear as he was my favorite comedian. I saw him live numerous times and have a lot of his comedy media and books. There will NEVER be another like him. He had an amazing talent for weaving words into amazing satire of the common, every day events. Very insightful and honest and that's why he was a huge success. RIP George. So sorry to see you go... :(

"I want you to know, when it comes to believing in god- I really tried. I really really tried. I tried to believe that there is a god who created each one of us in his own image and likeness, loves us very much and keeps a close eye on things. I really tried to believe that, but I gotta tell you, the longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize...something is ****ED-UP. Something is WRONG here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is NOT good work. If this is the best god can do, I am NOT impressed. Results like these do not belong on the resume of a supreme being. This is the kind of shit you'd expect from an office temp with a bad attitude. And just between you and me, in any decently run universe, this guy would have been out on his all-powerful-*** a long time ago." - George Carlin - "You are all Diseased"

MeSSwKffj9o

duhvoodooman
June 23rd, 2008, 07:24 AM
A truly funny man. His humor and his insights--and most of his stuff wouldn't be so funny if it wasn't so TRUE--will be missed by many.

warren0728
June 23rd, 2008, 07:34 AM
a very funny man....his bit on "stuff" definitely hits home here on thefret....

ww

R_of_G
June 23rd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Carlin is someone I admired and will truly miss. Thanks for all the great laughs George. R.I.P.

Spudman
June 23rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
A cultural and American icon. He opened a lot of people's eyes. I'm sure he will continue to do that even though his are now shut. Bye George.

luvmyshiner
June 23rd, 2008, 08:11 AM
Got to see him live in Vegas once. He will be missed.

just strum
June 23rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
I woke up this morning to the news. I was shocked in his passing and that he was 71 - where does the time go?

street music
June 23rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
George was very good and I felt like he meant every word that was said. He will be missed a lot in the comedy scene.

wingsdad
June 23rd, 2008, 09:47 PM
I first remember seeing him on the Ed Sullivan show back in the early 60's, doing 'Al Sleet, the Hippy Dippy Weatherman witht the Hippy Dippy Weather'.

I found this in December, 2007. I don't know when, exactly he wrote it. It doesn't matter when, though. He was not your average standup comic.

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor . We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete...

Remember; spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Algonquin
June 23rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
I always enjoyeed his work... I wll continue to do so!

Carry on George! :AOK:

just strum
July 26th, 2008, 02:37 PM
MY NEXT LIFE

By George Carlin
I want to live my next life backwards:

You start out dead and get that out of the way.

Then you wake up in a nursing home feeling better every day.

Then you get kicked out for being too healthy.

Enjoy your retirement and collect your pension.

Then when you start work, you get a gold watch on your first day.

You work 40 years until you're too young to work.

You get ready ;for High School: drink alcohol, party, and you're generally promiscuous.

Then you go to primary school, you become a kid, you play, and you have no responsibilities.

Then you become a baby, and then...

You spend your last 9 months floating peacefully in luxury, in Spa-like conditions - central heating, room service on tap, and then...

You finish off as an orgasm.

I rest my case.

stingx
July 26th, 2008, 05:29 PM
That's a good one Strum. The guy's irreplaceable :(

mrmudcat
July 26th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Wings and Strum that was Carlin summed up classically.

Dare I say George was a f-ing genuis.:beer:

wingsdad
July 26th, 2008, 11:08 PM
After I posted that 'essay', I did some looking, and found that he wrote that just after Brenda, his first wife of 36 years, passed. Read it again in that context, and you realize what 'the tears of a clown' means.