PDA

View Full Version : Bank Account tapped into

just strum
June 23rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Has anyone heard of Kellogg Hosting? They've made withdraws on my accounts in two separate banks. Our statement has a number for the company, but no one answers the phone (only answering machine) and they don't return calls.

Although the amounts are small, I've heard where these types will probe the account to verify it's active or to see how close someone is paying attention to activity and then hit it for a larger amount.

I closed the cards on both accounts this morning.

WackyT
June 23rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Is this them?

Kellogg Hosting
348 West 14 Street
New York NY 10014
support@kellogg-host.com

SuperSwede
June 23rd, 2008, 11:21 AM
Just Strum,

Your credit card probably has been "skimmed".

We (the police) get a lot of reports about this, and the criminals are getting better and better on getting away with these kind of frauds.
Lately we have seen very sophisticated devices which is very neatly mounted inside the card reader of an ATM or similar.
The device transmits all card-data and the pin code wireless up too 100 meters.

Here is some more information:

Skimming

Skimming is the theft of credit card information used in an otherwise legitimate transaction. It is typically an "inside job" by a dishonest employee of a legitimate merchant, and can be as simple as photocopying of receipts. Common scenarios for skimming are restaurants or bars where the skimmer has possession of the victim's credit card out of their immediate view. The skimmer will typically use a small keypad to unobtrusively transcribe the 3 or 4 digit Card Security Code which is not present on the magnetic strip.
Instances of skimming have been reported where the perpetrator has put a device over the card slot of a public cash machine (automated teller machine), which reads the magnetic strip as the user unknowingly passes their card through it. These devices are often used in conjunction with a pinhole camera to read the user's PIN at the same time.[3] At the beginning of April 2008, DVD rental service Redbox reported finding a skimmer at one of their locations and evidence of skimming at others.[4]
Skimming is difficult for the typical card holder to detect, but given a large enough sample, it is fairly easy for the bank to detect. The bank collects a list of all the card holders who have complained about fraudulent transactions, and then uses data mining to discover relationships among the card holders and the merchants they use. For example, if many of the customers used one particular merchant, that merchant's terminals (devices used to authorize transactions) can be directly investigated. Sophisticated algorithms can also search for known patterns of fraud. Merchants must ensure the physical security of their terminals, and penalties for merchants can be severe in cases of compromise, ranging from large fines to complete exclusion from the merchant banking system, which can be a death blow to businesses such as restaurants which rely on credit card processing.

warren0728
June 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
this is scary..... :eek:

keep us posted on the outcome....is the bank looking into it?

ww

Tone2TheBone
June 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM
This happened to me about a month ago. Wife noticed weird transactions for small amounts and we called VISA and immediately froze that account. Credit Union reimbursed us for all the transactions that were done on that card. We had to fill out a credit card fraud form and the credit union took care of everything. Skimming happens. Watch WHO you give your card to and use cash as much as possible.

just strum
June 23rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
This happened to me about a month ago. Wife noticed weird transactions for small amounts and we called VISA and immediately froze that account. Credit Union reimbursed us for all the transactions that were done on that card. We had to fill out a credit card fraud form and the credit union took care of everything. Skimming happens. Watch WHO you give your card to and use cash as much as possible.

Yep, we are doing the same thing. Banks are crediting us. Strange thing is the card for the one bank has never been used, it's a new card that hasn't been activated (apparently it is now).

Is this them?

Kellogg Hosting
348 West 14 Street
New York NY 10014
support@kellogg-host.com

It notes NY, but that's it and the phone number is different.

aeolian
June 23rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
I'm glad you guys caught the problem early. It just disgusts me what thieves will do.

Rocket
June 23rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
My bank account has been compromised on 3 occasions, (I can think of,) in the last 8 years or so... all originated from online sources. First was from pre-eBay PayPal system.

It's the price we pay for modern technological convenience!

just strum
June 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
My bank account has been compromised on 3 occasions, (I can think of,) in the last 8 years or so... all originated from online sources. First was from pre-eBay PayPal system.

It's the price we pay for modern technological convenience!

Yep, I think PayPal might be tied in to what I am going through. I just e-mailed them after waiting 25 minutes to get them on the phone and I finally hung up (I'm impatient).

aeolian
June 23rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
Yep, I think PayPal might be tied in to what I am going through. I just e-mailed them after waiting 25 minutes to get them on the phone and I finally hung up (I'm impatient).

That is scary as I use PayPal and they have my bank account information.

I find "speaker phone" feature really useful if I know I'll be on hold for a long time; I put it on speaker phone so I don't have to hold on to the handset, when they start talking I get back on the handset.

just strum
June 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I can't rant and vent too much simply because the rules that are in place at this forum, but PayPal sucks.

I've been waiting for an answer on two issues for 8 days now. I can't get through by phone because of the wait time (and no, I'm not going to put it on speaker phone).

I've received several e-mails (mostly form letters) since making my two inquiries. Yesterday they advise me that my account has been put on limited activity, another way of saying I can receive funds (of course, that's revenue or them), but I cannot pay for items. They advised that there was unauthorized activity again on my account yesterday, but have not provided any more details after three separate requests. They say they have no association to Kellogg Solutions (the culprit of the first attempt), but refuse to address the fact that they are the only ones with information pertaining to both accounts that were entered.

I close by repeating - PAYPAL SUCKS.

Don't send me any responses about how wonderful they are - not in the mood.

BluezOldy
June 30th, 2008, 03:27 AM
For safety, I have a separate VISA direct debit card for online transactions which acts as a credit card. I only keep a dollar or two in the account and when I want to buy something I just do an online transfer to the account of the exact amount of the transaction plus a dollar or two to cover money conversion and card charges.

There is no way I would ever give anyone access online to my main credit card or bank account.

The card companies and the merchants carry the risk of fraudulent transactions but it's a pain to get it sorted.

Spudman
June 30th, 2008, 06:02 PM
For safety, I have a separate VISA direct debit card for online transactions which acts as a credit card. I only keep a dollar or two in the account and when I want to buy something I just do an online transfer to the account of the exact amount of the transaction plus a dollar or two to cover money conversion and card charges.

There is no way I would ever give anyone access online to my main credit card or bank account.

The card companies and the merchants carry the risk of fraudulent transactions but it's a pain to get it sorted.

Very smart idea. I never thought of this one. Thanks for posting it.

luvmyshiner
June 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hey Strum, if it makes ya' feel any better, my son the "software engineer" got tapped for $9.95 last month. The bank was very good and refunded the money immediately, and he canceled the card.

But I figure if a guy who writes code for just about every three lettered government agency in existence can get popped, it can happen to any of us. He was lucky that it happened on a card he hadn't used in a couple of years. He's checking all his statements a little closer now.

sumitomo
June 30th, 2008, 06:54 PM
This is good info and a real good idea Dalron has suggested I check statements and all even have monitor but I still dont trust 'em.I liked this old guy I meet when I lived in the mountains he would only trust gold or silver,told me dont need any of them goverment I.O.U."s cant trust them crooked bastedges.Sumi:D

just strum
June 30th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Hey Strum, if it makes ya' feel any better, my son the "software engineer" got tapped for $9.95 last month. The bank was very good and refunded the money immediately, and he canceled the card.

But I figure if a guy who writes code for just about every three lettered government agency in existence can get popped, it can happen to any of us. He was lucky that it happened on a card he hadn't used in a couple of years. He's checking all his statements a little closer now.

I took the steps to get my PayPal off of limited status and I still am unable to withdrawal my balance in the account and the status is still limited (no withdrawals, no payments).

I was on hold again tonight and had to resort to yet another e-mail. Oh if only they had an office near my house - you would be able to watch the news for the results of my visit.http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/nutkick.gif