PDA

View Full Version : Sticky nuts

SuperSwede
June 23rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
I´ve heard that you can use an ordinary led pen to cure a sticky nut. Is this true? I dont have any graphite at home and I am really curious if it will work!

SuperSwede
June 23rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Apparently it should work...

"

The simplest solution is to grab a pencil (I use a mechanical one because I find it easier) and basically rub the lead bit into the nut slots. The graphite from the pencil lead acts as a lubricant, letting the string slide better through the nut slot. This is great because it doesn't require any physical modifications to your guitar, and it's invisible once the strings are on. Just rub that pencil in the slots each time you change strings and tuning stability should return.

"

http://www.musicouch.com/Instruments/String/Guitar/Nuts-Guitar-Tuning-Troubles.81388

Bloozcat
June 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Yep, sure does. The "lead" in a pencil is nothing more than graphite, a natural dry lubricant.

So, just "pencil it in", and off you go....:AOK:

luvmyshiner
June 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Yup SS, I always lube up my nuts (heh, heh) with a pencil every time I change strings. Works great.

SuperSwede
June 23rd, 2008, 12:41 PM
led - lead

pen - pencil

:D

Oh I must be tired or something..

Robert
June 23rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
Yep, it works pretty good. I nowadays use Big Bends Nut Sauce - it works great and is easier to apply. It also seems to last longer on the nut than graphite powder.

SuperSwede
June 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Yep, it works pretty good. I nowadays use Big Bends Nut Sauce - it works great and is easier to apply. It also seems to last longer on the nut than graphite powder.

How often do you need to apply the nut sauce?

Robert
June 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I put it on every time I change strings. If I have tuning problems, I apply some more too.

SuperSwede
June 24th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I put it on every time I change strings. If I have tuning problems, I apply some more too.

Ok, I might have to invest in some nut sauce then.

My G-string (thihi hi) is kinda sticky after the last sweaty session in the bedroom :D

just strum
June 24th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I heard people that use a product like that always say one bottle will last a life time. So it won't be something that you will be running out of.

markb
June 24th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I use a very soft (about 9b) pure graphite pencil. You can get them from art materials shops. Rub sideways over the nut to lay some graphite powder in the slots. One pencil will last a lifetime for this purpose :) . I also use very fine emery cloth (1200 grit) to run through the slots if they get sticky. I helps get the rough spots off without removing enough material to enlarge the slots. I don't use a guitar with a tremolo bridge but I hate those pinging noises when I'm tuning.

Rocket
June 25th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I use this, (Hillman Powdered Graphite Lubricant,) available at most key/lock centers at Lowe's, Home Depot, Hardware Stores, etc. Apply with ultra fine microbrush. One tube will last you + all your mates a lifetime:

http://205.196.138.20/3%5Cbe/beea84a9-5b96-451b-b791-52e41155212d_3.jpg

evenkeel
June 25th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I use this, (Hillman Powdered Graphite Lubricant,) available at most key/lock centers at Lowe's, Home Depot, Hardware Stores, etc. Apply with ultra fine microbrush. One tube will last you + all your mates a lifetime:

http://205.196.138.20/3%5Cbe/beea84a9-5b96-451b-b791-52e41155212d_3.jpg

That seems like a good solution. I've used the lead pencil trick, sometimes mixed in with a bit of chapstick. Works, but Rockets idea seems a lot easier.