PDA

View Full Version : Heatseeker upgrade

Robert
June 23rd, 2008, 03:50 PM
I got my 18 watt Heatseeker upgraded and I just received it today. Man, I love this amp. There was a bit of hum with the effects loop before, so Don moved things around so that there would be less noise. It worked. Some other changes were done too, and the result is that the amp sounds better than evah. :D

It's sooo fun to play this amph!

warren0728
June 23rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
that's a great looking amp....do you have the combo or just the head?

do you know what else he did to make it sound better....and what about it sounds better?

ww

Robert
June 23rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
I have the head. He said he changed some parts for minor improvements. I think it sounds fabulous. The difference is subtle though. It seems to have a slightly better growl to it now. It sounded great even before the change though! Take it for what it's worth.

There was a hum issue earlier with the fx loop, due to the proximity of the transformer to the tube for the fx loop.

duhvoodooman
June 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
There was a bit of hum with the effects loop before, so Don moved things around so that there would be less noise.
Dude, that's not an upgrade, it's a REPAIR! ;) Glad to hear it's improved by the change--that's all that's important. :AOK:

Robert
June 23rd, 2008, 09:29 PM
Well, not really a repair. I had one of the first prototypes, and I did notice some hum from the effects loop. He changed the design based on my feedback, and I just got the new version. It seemed smarter to minimize such interference issues so the design of the amps was changed.

Algonquin
June 23rd, 2008, 09:35 PM
This is good news Rob. I'm glad to see a local (to me) amp builder is standing behind their product after the final sale. It shows a lot of character... I'm sure they're destined for success with this level of service. After hearing your audio clips, and Richard Smyth's... I know they've got a winner product on their hands.

Thanks for the update!
Cheers :beer:

SuperSwede
June 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Clips!

Clips!

Oh and post some clips... We wanna hear that growling sweetheart ! :R

oldguy
June 28th, 2008, 07:41 PM
That's great news, Robert.
It's true that the layout of a circuit and wiring can make a huge difference, I was reading last week that Joe Bonamassa is very picky about the sound of his amplifiers and works closely with techs to always improve his rig.
I would consider an amp builder that concerned with improving their product as a good business person and tone chaser....... a good thing.
That's what made Leo Fender a guru in his time, IMHO. :)