PDA

View Full Version : Our Brother Fretters

Tim
May 9th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I sure hope the ‘little’ difficulty we experienced last week did not chase a lot of our brother Fretters away. The traffic and posts sure has slowed down. I hope they all come back.

Robert
May 9th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Yes, I noticed that too. Everyone is welcome to post as always! Come on, guys!

SuperSwede
May 9th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I think that the entire "little difficulty" was a hard blow to the open minded discussion that we had going here. It will probably take some time before everything is back to normal, which I really hope it will be.

Robert
May 9th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Well, I am sorry if anyone feels offended. We do try to make the best of what we have. We are not saying you can't be funny, open-minded or be yourself, but we hope to, overall, get threads to stay more on topic than some of the far-out ones in the past. Feel free to speak your mind, my friends.

SuperSwede
May 9th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Robert, I hope that you did not misunderstand me! I agree that some of the old threads were to far out! I only mean that we should not "police" the open mic as hard as the guitar related threads in the future. Of course the general rules must be followed in the open mic, but I think that the threads there should be allowed to be more "off topic" due to the nature of the topics talked about there.
Whats your opinion on this?

duhvoodooman
May 9th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Yes, I noticed that too. Everyone is welcome to post as always! Come on, guys!
I'm working on it!

Dropping a new set of Fender USA Hot Vintage p'ups into my son's B&C Squier Tele this afternoon, with the help of an experienced solder guy here at work. Assuming all goes well, will try it out tonight & post results. 5/10 UPDATE: Done & posted HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=730&page=2).
Got a full set of JJ Tesla tubes coming from Eurotubes to retube my Delta Blues. The power tubes are a matched quad of EL84's in a "hotter grade". For thr preamp, I went with two ECC83S's (12AX7) for V1 & V3 and one ECC832 (a.k.a. 12DW7, basically a 12AX7/12AU7 hybrid tube with reduced gain) in V2, based upon their "blues" use recommendation. I've also got a spare JJ ECC83S on hand already, which will let me A/B the V2 tube setup and see exactly what the difference in tone and response is. 5/10 Update: Also done & posted HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=764).

Film at 11.....

Robert
May 9th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Off topic is okay. What I mean is if a topic starts about fishing but goes into lawn mower accessories for the next 5 pages, it ain't right, is it?

I don't plan on being referred to as "Constable Robert"... so don't worry.

R

Robert, I hope that you did not misunderstand me! I agree that some of the old threads were to far out! I only mean that we should not "police" the open mic as hard as the guitar related threads in the future. Of course the general rules must be followed in the open mic, but I think that the threads there should be allowed to be more "off topic" due to the nature of the topics talked about there.

SuperSwede
May 9th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Robert, you are still the friendly forum boss in my eyes. :)

warren0728
May 9th, 2006, 02:22 PM
We are not saying you can't be funny, open-minded or be yourself,
hhmmmmm, are you sure?....in the discussion of prince, his new album and his hiring of a bass player (thread in question link) (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=751&highlight=prince) i mentioned that rhonda was cuter (so maybe that was why she was hired over the bass player spudman had played with).

your response to me was....
Warren, let's not get side tracked...

first i don't feel that I was getting side tracked...i was still talking about the bass player prince hired...and while it might have been a feeble atempt at humor that's what i was going for...and that's just the kinda guy i am. I try to find humor in most everything...Definately makes me think twice about posting now....

ww

Tim
May 9th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I don't plan on being referred to as "Constable Robert"... so don't worry.

Robert,

Personally I think the title is very official. Can we call you CR for short?

Just kidding Robert. I agree with you. All threads should stay on topic. If there is a change in direction, for example going from a guitar issue to a foot pedal. The individual or “changing author” should direct the readers to a new thread.

I also think this should include "Open Mic". If your going to take a topic of fishing and go to lawn mowers, then mention that a new thread is being started. Maybe even put the link in to save the reader the time to hunt for it.

Not to offend duhvoodooman, but his post above should of gone else where besides in Open Mic. After all it is guitar and/or amp related.

We must always keep in mind the new member. He or she maybe trying to look for some "Bass Guitar" information and the next thing he knows he is reading about dive bombing (yes I did that one and apologize once more). The new member will not stay on line very long.

Even though we have been pretty clean in both our post and funny joking around, I have not seen any ladies joining the forum. I would not mind learning from some the better female players out there. It would be also nice to know we are helping new ladies to learn to play the guitar. After all this is not a Men’s Club.

blogan
May 9th, 2006, 04:15 PM
hhmmmmm, are you sure?....in the discussion of prince, his new album and his hiring of a bass player (thread in question link) (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=751&highlight=prince) i mentioned that rhonda was cuter (so maybe that was why she was hired over the bass player spudman had played with).

first i don't feel that I was getting side tracked...i was still talking about the bass player prince hired...and while it might have been a feeble atempt at humor that's what i was going for...and that's just the kinda guy i am. I try to find humor in most everything...Definately makes me think twice about posting now....

ww
Yeah, I'm confused, too. :confused: Maybe it was the smiley at the end that triggered the response. Does take the fun out of it thinking you might get reprimanded for an attempt at humor. I may have to go back to being a "Junior Member." :(

duhvoodooman
May 9th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Not to offend duhvoodooman, but his post above should of gone else where besides in Open Mic. After all it is guitar and/or amp related.
Gee, I thought it was very much on topic. Robert exhorted us to start posting, in response to your concern about traffic being down in the forum. I merely responded that I had "two irons in the fire", so to speak, and would be posting on them soon--a direct response to his point. Yes, they are guitar/amp related (that's a good thing, right?), and I will post them in the proper location. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!

Between us girls, I would assert that the less time we spend dwelling on the ramifications of the short-lived demise of Open Mic and it's subsequent return, the better off this forum will be. I see nothing coming from it but hard feelings. Time to move on, IMO....

Tim
May 9th, 2006, 06:22 PM
I agree!!! Let's start posting ... anything and everything!!!

Myles
May 10th, 2006, 09:55 AM
I had mentioned this in the reason why we got rid of the Open Mic section thread, but it seems warranted that I mention it again.

Just a smilie(s) will never be acceptable content.

I have no intention of limiting any member's creativity or interaction with these forums. I'm not saying don't use smilies or that you can't start with a smilie, but I am saying that you have to add something more than just smilies. Furthermore, an attempt at humour (or humour itself) is great, but every single thread just doesn't need a one liner.

hhmmmmm, are you sure?....in the discussion of prince, his new album and his hiring of a bass player (thread in question link) i mentioned that rhonda was cuter (so maybe that was why she was hired over the bass player spudman had played with).

first i don't feel that I was getting side tracked...
Now lets be honest warren, you posted 5 words. I agree that it was a clever point, but the explanation about your humour was longer than your actual post. Regardless, it wasn't so much that you posted that one liner, it was that you responded with 3 smilies.

You are a funny guy warren and I end up laughing as a I skim through these forums often, but this crew :DR :eek: :rolleyes: :R has to have some text backing it up.

warren0728
May 10th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I had mentioned this in the reason why we got rid of the Open Mic section thread, but it seems warranted that I mention it again.

Just a smilie(s) will never be acceptable content.

I'm not saying don't use smilies or that you can't start with a smilie, but I am saying that you have to add something more than just smilies. Furthermore, an attempt at humour (or humour itself) is great, but every single thread doesn't need a one liner.

Now lets be honest warren, you posted 5 words. I agree that it was a clever point, but the explanation about your humour was longer than your actual post. Regardless, it wasn't so much that you posted that one liner, it was that you responded with 3 smilies.

You are a funny guy warren and I end up laughing as a I skim through these forums often, but this crew :DR :eek: :rolleyes: :R has to have some text backing it up.

i already discussed this (the use of the three eek's with robert (off forum) but since you brought it back up here is my response to robert....

"actually it was my natural response to spudman saying "Ya Rhonda has a nice face but this guy's butt was way smaller and his dreads were longer"

the only reason i used three of them is there is a 10 character minimum : )

I'm sorry...that's just how i am. I've never been warned for using just a smiley as a reply on a forum before and i am on several....for me it was just a natural reply to a conversation...i'm a graphic artist so for me a visual answer says more than a written one sometimes.

As i said i will think twice about how i reply from now on.

ww"

tot_Ou_tard
May 13th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Off topic is okay. What I mean is if a topic starts about fishing but goes into lawn mower accessories for the next 5 pages, it ain't right, is it?
R
Yes, I think it is. One of the greatest pleasures in life are freewheeling rambling conversations with good people that take *many* twists and turns and that are sparkling with friendly humour, wit and intellectual curiousity. These are very rare in life. I highly treasure them and they are sorely missed by some around here.

If an Open Mic thread has to spawn a new topic for *every* kink in the conversation then by the nature of conversation they won't be as above, but will be someting else.

---------------- Warning abused metaphor alert! ---------------------

I think of the types of off the wall conversations that were ocurring here as flowers, beautiful, interesting, and colorful flowers. Others viewed them as weeds as they tended to pop up in the vegetable garden of the guitar oriented threads and overrun those gardens. If one planted a vegetable garden, then I can see how flowers in the vegetable garden could cause anxiety. The question is *are* they weeds or is there a place for a flower garden in the Fret backyard? I see no reason why we can't have both a vegetable garden and a flower garden.

I have a soft place in my heart for the folx on this forum and there is truly a wealth of information here. But once a flower gets called a weed things change.

Vive les legumes! Vive les fleurs!

And here's a smiley as a present to Warren :D

Hell, why not a few more? Our beloved pancake cooking friend could probably use some cheering up!

:D :D :D

---
And here's another thought that I make with a dreaded DOUBLE POST *ooOOOOoooOOoOOOOOooo* the horrors!

There is a legitimate argument to be made in keeping the regular threads clean and tidy for reference purposes. (I guess this forum was created with an eye toward posterity. I dunno as I wasn't here at the founding.) But for the life of me I fail to see the referential value of a discussion of favorite beer so it boggles my (admittedly odd) mind why such a topic must needs be tidy.

Exuent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
So the double post really is a horror. It got edited by Robert. OK, C'est la vie no double posts. Although I don't really understand the restriction. I personally pefer to read things in idea sized pieces that were written in one setting rather than a tome sized collage of ideas.

But I am not now, nor have I ever been a part of any norm so my opinions don't really matter. And contrary to what you may think I am not frustrated I am just confused.

On with the show........

tot_Ou_tard
May 13th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Don't sell yourself short SS. They were *NOT* too far out. They were not too anything, other than perhaps too much fun. To paraphrase another fretter or two from those halycon days "Nobody ever wishes on their deathbed that they had less fun in life."

The only problem with those threads were that they were not to the taste of some folx, notably including the proprietors of this fine establishment.
That my dear boy, is another thing entirely.

I am not interested in changing anyone else's point of view. I do not need a funloving fret for my wellbeing, and this place has other things going for it besides friendliness & fun. That being said, I also have no interest in pretending that it wasn't fun and that I don't miss it.

Robert
May 13th, 2006, 04:27 PM
We have listened to you guys, and we agree. It is okay for the threads in the Open Mic to be a bit off topic. We want this place to be friendly and fun, don't ever think we don't, but that doesn't mean we can't have some simple rules.

tot_Ou_tard
May 13th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I also think this should include "Open Mic". If your going to take a topic of fishing and go to lawn mowers, then mention that a new thread is being started. Maybe even put the link in to save the reader the time to hunt for it.

We must always keep in mind the new member. He or she maybe trying to look for some "Bass Guitar" information and the next thing he knows he is reading about dive bombing (yes I did that one and apologize once more). The new member will not stay on line very long.
I wholeheartedly disagree, on topic Open Mic threads sound staid and boring. Who really cares about fishing other than as a route to talk about lawn mowers on the way to....

(and here's hoping that they go somewhere else but fast...'cause jeez...fishing and *LAWN MOWERS* ....eyes roll heavenward *pleading* for some relief)

That is the way friendships are formed and enjoyment is had. I've met the kind of people who remind you of what the topic was when you throw in a dash of something else.

YAWWWN

Life's way to freakin' short for that. I turn right away and look for someone with a little sparkle in their eyes.

You never know Tim. The new member may stay because of the friendly nature of this place. Guitars, basses n' fun what could be better?

SuperSwede
May 14th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Don't sell yourself short SS. They were *NOT* too far out.

I dont think that I did... I was talking about the guitar related threads that _most_ of us was changing into cheese/other subject (remember those GRATE threads? ;) )

oldguy
May 14th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Well, I would just like to say that I love this site and all the posts so far. When I introduced myself awhile back I noted that I would mostly visit on weekends when I was home. I had time today to check it out more thoroughly, and it is one of the best. No vulgararity, rudeness, put downs, etc. Just mature, honest to goodness guitar loving players exchanging info, ideas, clean good natured joking and other assorted wacky good things. I am proud to know ya'll, and wish I had more time to visit. I would (and will) recommend it to any of my friends and family. Great people, great site!

Tim
May 14th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks oldguy,

That's the way we like it and that's the why we plan to keep it.

tot_Ou_tard
May 15th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Well I still miss Warren, so I decided to have a tshirt made with the line

+1 :D Lol, IMAO :DR :R :D

(cause I consider that an eminently appropriate line for a tshirt)

I refuse to take it off (or bathe) until he returns....

So Warren, if you care anything about my friends and family & coworkers get your butt back here right away!!

Tim
May 15th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Tot,

Warrens' not totally gone from the Fret Net. He just has something cooking right now that is keeping him busy. Let’s just say he is in the background. Don’t buy too many T-Shirts with the same saying. You just may need to buy one that states: He’s back!!!!!

tot_Ou_tard
May 16th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Tot,
Warrens' not totally gone from the Fret Net. He just has something cooking right now that is keeping him busy.

Pancakes?!?

Let’s just say he is in the background. Don’t buy too many T-Shirts with the same saying. You just may need to buy one that states: He’s back!!!!!
There is only just the one & it's getting mighty ripe.

I'm glad to hear that he'll be back.

warren0728
May 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM
...i have alot going on right now and kinda needed to take a break from thefret.

i'm still reading the forum just not doing much (if any replying)...i had to laugh because everytime i felt the urge to reply it was with a smart arse comeback and completely non technically relevant....yeah i know....hard to believe.

Now for goodness sake tot change that shirt... :D :DR :eek: :D

ww

tot_Ou_tard
May 16th, 2006, 12:14 PM
...i have alot going on right now and kinda needed to take a break from thefret.

As did I...I don't blame ya!

Now for goodness sake tot change that shirt... :D :DR :eek: :D
ww
My wife thanks you, my kids thank as well as the neighbors, my coworkers...& I think I got a scrunched nose from the clerk down at the supermarket but I chocked it down to being...a clerk at a supermarket....but who nose?

SuperSwede
May 16th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Hey warren! Nice to see that you are still around :) :D :p

Robert
May 16th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Hi Warren! Of course you are very welcome to post anytime!