PDA

View Full Version : new guitar !!!

Squireman131
June 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM
http://www.rondomusic.com/shadowbk.html

i am now the proud owned of a douglas les paul clone. It should be here in a week hopefully and the ill write a review for it. Its my first guitar with a tuneomatic bridge and i was wondering is there anything i need to know about then, exspecially how to intonate them? Also any modds that are nice on les pauls. IF so could you name them, they probably wont happen anytime soon because of lack of benjamins but for future reference. thanks

bigoldron
June 25th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Looks good! Can't wait to hear about it!

scgmhawk
June 25th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Does this mean you're changing your name to "Douglasman"?:D Anyway, it looks sharp! I've read that the quality of the Rondo stuff is pretty good, especially for the price, but doesn't always arrive in the greatest condition. I hope yours does and I look forward to your review. I'm not much of a modder but I suspect you'll end up swapping out the pups at some point. I'll let others address other mods.

street music
June 25th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I'm very curious about this one myself? Christmas shopping already!

Algonquin
June 25th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Enjoy and get good use of your new guitar!

Cheers :beer:

luvmyshiner
June 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Looks sweet! Keep us posted brother.

M29
June 25th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Looks good Squireman131, anxious to hear some clips:AOK:

M29

Kazz
June 26th, 2008, 04:36 AM
The first thing I would plan to upgrade is the stock pickups....depending on what tone you are after...you might want to go with some gibson 490r and 498t pickups....or if you want something harder maybe a set of EMG actives 81/85 combination like Zakk Wylde uses....or if you want that dimebag tone you need original bill lawrence pups

From a google search of Dimebag Pickups:

"The models used were the L500XL in bridge position and the L500R in neck (known as K500 back in the day). Both in chrome covers (adds high end and clarity). "

markb
June 26th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Tuneomatic (TOM) bridges are pretty easy to set up. Use the screws or wheels to set string height and adjust intonation with the individual saddles. I've sometimes run out of adjustment on a TOM and had to reverse a saddle or two to get more travel. This doesn't seem to have any adverse effect on the tone, in fact many TOMs are set up with three saddles facing one way and three facing the other. You just back the screw all the way out and lift and turn the saddle 180 degrees in the slot to make the change.
You may want to try adjusting the height of the stop tailpiece, this makes a real difference to tone and string tension. Screwed all the way down to the body is not necessarily best. I had to raise the one on my Epi SG by several turns before it started to feel and sound right. Beware, it's easy to chew up the studs on a stop tail especially "proper vintage" aluminium types. Use your biggest screwdriver and pack the slot with a rag if there's any slop around the tool.

Squireman131
June 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Does this mean you're changing your name to "Douglasman"?:D Anyway, it looks sharp! I've read that the quality of the Rondo stuff is pretty good, especially for the price, but doesn't always arrive in the greatest condition. I hope yours does and I look forward to your review. I'm not much of a modder but I suspect you'll end up swapping out the pups at some point. I'll let others address other mods.

i might just have too . It came thursday this week which means 3 days shipping to PA so it was a lot faster than i thought. Its absolutely the best guitar ive owned and the best looking. the electronics are kinda bad... the pots are scratchy, maybe some contact cleaner can help and the switch is funny i dont know how to ezplain it hahah. The pups were better than i thought they would be the neck is jazzy enough so i can use that for jazz band but i will probably switch the neck out for a emg or a metalbucker. Its a gloassy black that looks good all over. It was shipped without a case but packed superbly. double boxed and had inserts to support the neck and get a snug fit for the body. It sounds nice running through a peavey rage amp and the pups sound nicely distorted when i have my FAB metal on. For 120 bucks i think it was a steal.....illl probably put another one up in the reviews section. wish i could put pics up but alas no camera.