PDA

View Full Version : How Long Would You Wait for Payment

just strum
June 25th, 2008, 04:40 PM
One of the guitars I sold is/was being paid by money order or bank check. How long would you give a person to pay before you cancel the sale? This is an eBay sale that closed late about 12.15AM Sunday.

Seeing that I am having second thoughts on the sale, what do you feel is fair?

warren0728
June 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM
i would be very careful about those types of payments and wouldn't ship the guitar until the funds are in your bank account....i have heard that a lot of them are phony and by the time the bank figures it out the item has already been shipped....tread carefully....have you contacted the buyer and has he/she told you when the payment was mailed?

ww

just strum
June 25th, 2008, 05:41 PM
i would be very careful about those types of payments and wouldn't ship the guitar until the funds are in your bank account....i have heard that a lot of them are phony and by the time the bank figures it out the item has already been shipped....tread carefully....have you contacted the buyer and has he/she told you when the payment was mailed?

ww

1) the guitar hasn't shipped, nor will it ship until the bank clears the check.

2) No I haven't contact him since Sunday night when he told me the check would be mailed Monday morning. It's not that he didn't do it, but I'm trying to determine when is a fair "pull the plug" on the deal. I don't feel I am responsible for reminding him to send a check. I don't know if I am dealing with a kid or an adult. He has a 100% rating as a buyer (10 transaction - I don't even think he has sold anything) and that is the same as me (actually 11) and I'm a great guy, just ask anyone here - ok, bad references.

warren0728
June 25th, 2008, 05:52 PM
i guess it depends on how far apart you two are....the us postal service isn't the quickest sometimes.... :thwap:

if it truly was mailed monday i would give it till friday....then decide if you want to contact them to find out about payment or contact them to 86 the sale....

ww

luvmyshiner
June 25th, 2008, 05:52 PM
USPS in our area delivers most mail within 1-3 days. I'd probably give him 7 days for arrival just to play it safe. I also have a policy at my office that a check has to be deposited (and cleared) with a minimum 10 day waiting period. I don't think it's enough to see that the bank has actually credited you with the funds, because I have on occasion had checks bounce after the bank allegedly credited me with the funds. And forget about arguing with the bank when that happens. It's like arguing with the IRS.

marnold
June 25th, 2008, 06:12 PM
If he sent it out on Monday the absolute fastest it could be to you unless you live in the same city is today. If you're not in the same state, you would be lucky to have it in two days. As far as having second thoughts goes, it's too late for that. You put it up for auction; he won it.

just strum
June 25th, 2008, 06:16 PM
If he sent it out on Monday the absolute fastest it could be to you unless you live in the same city is today. If you're not in the same state, you would be lucky to have it in two days. As far as having second thoughts goes, it's too late for that. You put it up for auction; he won it.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I won't back out or play games about the sale. He won the guitar and is entitled to it, but he has to recognize that it's his responsibility to get the payment to me in a timely manner. I'm giving it until next Monday, which I think is more than fair. I've had mail go cross country in three days, so Monday is plenty of time.

Edit: wait a second, are you the buyer?

warren0728
June 25th, 2008, 06:18 PM
i agree...the only way to 86 the sale is if he doesn't pay in a timely manner...

ww

just strum
June 25th, 2008, 06:27 PM
i agree...the only way to 86 the sale is if he doesn't pay in a timely manner...

ww

Hey guys, I didn't say I was going to nix the deal after two days, I was asking what you thought was fair. Give me a break, I make good on all deals, but I have my limits.

Algonquin
June 25th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Perhaps a PayPal account in the future would work for you. I just signed up so I could purchase an item... incredibly quick and easy. It would also allow you to ship your item without having to wait for funds to clear at the bank. I'm sure you'd also get positive feedback from the purchasers regarding your fast shipment.

just strum
June 25th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Perhaps a PayPal account in the future would work for you. I just signed up so I could purchase an item... incredibly quick and easy. It would also allow you to ship your item without having to wait for funds to clear at the bank. I'm sure you'd also get positive feedback from the purchasers regarding your fast shipment.

Remember it is paypal that I believe is behind the unauthorized withdraws from two of my bank accounts. It is also paypal that leaves you on hold for 45+ minutes when you try to resolve the issue. It is paypal that says they will respond to e-mail quickly and I've been waiting three days now. Oh they sent me a response today after I complained about them not responding to two open issues and what did they ask - "Could you please send us detailed information on the content of the other two messages". I advised them to get off their *** and locate them.

PayPal is ok for paying for an item, but they gouge you when you sell an item. Since they are part of eBay, they basically get you twice, once eBay bills you for your ad and then PayPal bills you again for their service. I understand why I am seeing more and more eBay ads that note "will not accept PayPal payment"

Algonquin
June 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Sorry... didn't know.

just strum
June 25th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Sorry... didn't know.

No apology necessary. I'm just in a real PO'd mood today because work really sucks.

warren0728
June 25th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Hey guys, I didn't say I was going to nix the deal after two days, I was asking what you thought was fair. Give me a break, I make good on all deals, but I have my limits.
hey man....wasn't giving you a hard time....i was just agreeing you had a right to nix the deal if the buyer didn't come through with payment in a timely manner (and to be careful about those money orders) :beer:

ww

just strum
June 25th, 2008, 07:16 PM
hey man....wasn't giving you a hard time....i was just agreeing you had a right to nix the deal if the buyer didn't come through with payment in a timely manner (and to be careful about those money orders) :beer:

ww:AOK:

just strum
June 26th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Should have the check today. I don't know why, but I have the feeling it is someone here that bought it.

warren0728
June 26th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Should have the check today. I don't know why, but I have the feeling it is someone here that bought it.
naw.....we would make you wait a lot longer than a week because we all know how patient you are!! :beer: :rotflmao: :poke:

ww

just strum
June 26th, 2008, 04:03 PM
naw.....we would make you wait a lot longer than a week because we all know how patient you are!! :beer: :rotflmao: :poke:

ww

Only you would think of that:D

Well, another guitar of mine heading to Texas - El Paso to be exact. And guess what - another Mark.

duhvoodooman
June 26th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I'd give the buyer at least 7 days, and a bit more if that expired on a weekend. For what you're describing, I'd say give it until the mail comes on Monday 6/30. A week for payment seems to be pretty standard on eBay....

just strum
June 26th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I'd give the buyer at least 7 days, and a bit more if that expired on a weekend. For what you're describing, I'd say give it until the mail comes on Monday 6/30. A week for payment seems to be pretty standard on eBay....

I received the western union money order today.

markb
June 26th, 2008, 05:14 PM
You could send a gentle reminder of the eBay terms and conditions re payment times. This has always worked for me. I've never had a problem with Paypal. The fees are worth it for the convenience IMO. You shouldn't need a Paypal account to buy with a credit card, only to receive payments or transfer funds from a bank account.

edit: hadn't realised about your Paypal problems, sorry to mention it. In fact my whole post is gibberish really.

moral: read the whole thread before replying :thwap:

warren0728
June 26th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I received the western union money order today.
hey strum....is there any way you can cash the money order (at a check cashing place or something) and then deposit cash in your bank account?

western union money orders are mentioned by name as common in scam transactions on craigslist and it also said that it may take the bank weeks to find out it is a fake....

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

just watchin' out for ya man! :beer:

ww

just strum
June 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM
hey strum....is there any way you can cash the money order (at a check cashing place or something) and then deposit cash in your bank account?

western union money orders are mentioned by name as common in scam transactions on craigslist and it also said that it may take the bank weeks to find out it is a fake....

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

just watchin' out for ya man! :beer:

ww
The guy has a 100% (10 transactions) rating, but with the exception of his last purchase he hasn't spent over $15 on any purchase

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=915wward1&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true&seeallfeedback=See%20All%20Feedback

Not feeling rea. comfortable with this

warren0728
June 26th, 2008, 06:21 PM
cautious is good...maybe someone here has a solution to make sure the money order is not a fake (i've never dealt with taking one)...

maybe talk to your bank before hand....i'm just sayin' :whatever:

ww

just strum
June 26th, 2008, 06:41 PM
cautious is good...maybe someone here has a solution to make sure the money order is not a fake (i've never dealt with taking one)...

maybe talk to your bank before hand....i'm just sayin' :whatever:

ww

We are going to check with the bank in the morning.

We called Western Union and it shows valid, no holds and not cashed. You don't talk to a live person, so it's not an exchange of questions and answers.

duhvoodooman
June 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
We are going to check with the bank in the morning.

We called Western Union and it shows valid, no holds and not cashed. You don't talk to a live person, so it's not an exchange of questions and answers.
That's encouraging. You're probably fine....

TS808
June 26th, 2008, 07:43 PM
A couple years ago I had a guy try to scam me on ebay...I was selling a Line 6 Flextone. Prior to the sale, he emailed me and asked if the amp worked, because he had "fried" his other one. I should have known then.

To make a long story short, when he got the amp, he claimed it "shocked" him and ruined his guitar too. I went through about 6 weeks of hell fighting the Paypal claim, and found the guy on Myspace too believe it or not...lo and behold, he had a picture of his "new amp" and the guitar that supposedly got fried.

Bottom line: he was going to send his "fried" amp back to me and was going to keep the one I sold to him. Luckily, I always keep a record of the serial numbers of anything I sell. I won the Paypal dispute and also filed charges for fraud. The charges never went through, but he did get a couple letters from his state's attorney general's office telling him I filed a complaint with them.

Nonetheless....I learned a valuable lesson about selling items...I watch and see people's feedback scores..if they have more than 1 negative, I cancel the bid. If they have a "0" feedback, they have to contact me first, and I ONLY accept Paypal and ship to a confirmed address.

Chances are you're probably okay with this sale, especially since you have the money order. I've also had some slow payers, and I believe ebay makes you give the buyer 10 days before you can cancel the sale.

Best of luck...glad you got the money order!!

just strum
June 26th, 2008, 07:53 PM
You could send a gentle reminder of the eBay terms and conditions re payment times. This has always worked for me. I've never had a problem with Paypal. The fees are worth it for the convenience IMO. You shouldn't need a Paypal account to buy with a credit card, only to receive payments or transfer funds from a bank account.

edit: hadn't realised about your Paypal problems, sorry to mention it. In fact my whole post is gibberish really.

moral: read the whole thread before replying :thwap:

It's not gibberish, just a different view.

As for moral, I'm constantly guilty of that - It must be because I have been known to be impatient.

Spudman
June 26th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Patience Grasshopper.

If the guy tells you that he is sending the $ just wait up to 10 days then all is fair for you to do after that. Sometimes things happen and well meaning folks have a hard time fitting in the task of going to the PO etc.

For what he got the guitar for he's be stupid to not pay. Just give it time.

mrmudcat
June 27th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Strum .late to the party.Be wary of western .m.o..major scams on the bay and mentioned graiglist.I always use post office money orders only!!! Only one federally protected!!;)

just strum
June 27th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Strum .late to the party.Be wary of western .m.o..major scams on the bay and mentioned graiglist.I always use post office money orders only!!! Only one federally protected!!;)

My wife contacted Western Union and spoke to someone today and they said it's legit, verified the amount and location. I would think I'm safe. If not, you guys will be reading a lot of my posts next week doing some serious ranting.

mrmudcat
June 27th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Yea I think it is/was western union wire transfers being fake and some minor to that, fake m.o. scams. If I remember correctly.:whatever: