PDA

View Full Version : I'm finally here!

Baby_Girl
June 25th, 2008, 08:35 PM
SOOO....

Hi all! i was told that my very first post had to be here. :)

i am shiner's daughter and childbride's daughter-by-proxy. i am a music therapy major at the University of Kansas. my instrument emphasis is voice. i absolutely love my major and can't wait until i am a board certified music therapist.

i first picked up the guitar about three years ago in a guitar class that i was required to take at KU. before then, i had never even touched a guitar. since then i have grown to love my two guitars (a washburn D46S and an alvarez AC60S).

unfortunately, since i'm still in school and i'm a music major i don't get to play for fun so much. i spend a lot of time playing folk songs, children's songs, a few current trends, and some oldies. i use all these in my clinical work so it's functional for me to learn them. i have a soft spot in my heart for the folk songs though.

okay okay that's enough of a book for now! can't wait to learn from everyone!

Algonquin
June 25th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Welcome to the Fret Baby Girl!

I hope you find this a nice safe place to post and enjoy the wonderful world of guitar, and guitar comradery :AOK:
It's good to have you onboard.

Cheers,
David

wingsdad
June 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Howdy, BG :wave:

Nice tameetcha ;)

Bon voyage with the guitar, school, the career :AOK: and all.

sunvalleylaw
June 25th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Welcome BG! A bunch of music happening in your family. That's great!

magoo
June 25th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Hey Baby girl, welcome.

luvmyshiner
June 25th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Hey BG! Welcome aboard.:wave: And I want somethin' expensive for my birthday.:D

Iago
June 25th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Welcome Baby Girl!

Robert
June 25th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Welcome, BG!

Ch0jin
June 25th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Hi and Welcome :)

player
June 26th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Welcome Baby Girl.Warren will be along sometime to give you his one of a kind greeting I'm sure:dude:
Wonderful family you have there too

SuperSwede
June 26th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Welcome Baby Girl.

mrmudcat
June 26th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Where ya been?????...............welcome

street music
June 26th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Welcome Baby Girl, you have two special people in your life Shiner & Proxy Mom Childbride , we are very glad to see music used to help others. You will find many friends here and a great place to vent or advertise for birthday & Christmas gifts. RIGHT SHINER?

Katastrophe
June 26th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Welcome! We have a lot of fun here, so post often!

:AOK: :bravo:

FatCat
June 26th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Welcome BG!

tot_Ou_tard
June 26th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Welcome!

That makes you a Baby-Girl-By-Double-Proxy to all of us.

Hey BG! Welcome aboard.:wave: And I want somethin' expensive for my birthday.:D

Me too! ;)

ted s
June 26th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Welcome BG !

warren0728
June 26th, 2008, 08:18 AM
welcome baby girl....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

stingx
June 26th, 2008, 09:17 AM
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8370/welcome1qc.gif

This forum rocks...they even let Mac users participate :rotflmao:

SuperSwede
June 26th, 2008, 09:57 AM
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8370/welcome1qc.gif

This forum rocks...they even let Mac users participate :rotflmao:

Heh, this site is actually operated by Apple... with our discrete subliminal messages we are slowly turning you all into mac users!

Just look what we did with Robert! :D

And remember....

http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/photos/130_126big_brother_is_watching_you_posters.jpg
:beer:

just strum
June 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Hey, welcome BG, good to hear things are going well. Hope you don't limit your post to your visits back home.

Oh, and I want something expensive for my birthday too.

piebaldpython
June 26th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Welcome aboard BG!!! We can DEFINTIELY help you with what to ask for present-wise for your birthday and X-mas. :rotflmao: Hey, if you and CB team up for a duo group, you can call yourselves THE PROXYS. :poke:

duhvoodooman
June 26th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Welcome to TheFret, BG! :AOK: A person can't help who their parents are, so we won't hold Shiner being your daddy against ya! ;) :D

Bloozcat
June 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Welcome Baby Girl! It's nice to finally "meet" you after hearing the wonderful things Childbride said about you.

Hope you enjoy yourself here! :AOK:

aeolian
June 26th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Welcome, BG. Is this a first that all three generations are represented?

warren0728
June 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM
i have to ask....what is "musical therapy" :whatever: ....i don't think they had that as a major when i was in college.....

ww

tjcurtin1
June 26th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Welcome, Baby Girrl (Hmm, that was a mistype, but it feels a little grittier, and if you're a therapist, you must have some grit!) I mostly play for kids in a school setting, so I, too, have a soft spot for the great folk 'catalog' (I will suggest that you check out Dan Zane's recordings of Sea songs and songs from Carl Sandburg's 'Songbag', as well as Jerry Garcia's classic 'Not for Kids only', if you don't already know them).

Again, welcome - any member of the Shiner household is a welcome addition!

Baby_Girl
June 26th, 2008, 02:10 PM
(I will suggest that you check out Dan Zane's recordings of Sea songs and songs from Carl Sandburg's 'Songbag', as well as Jerry Garcia's classic 'Not for Kids only', if you don't already know them).

awesome! thanks so much tj! i am not familiar with them - but i will definitely check it out. any help expanding my repertoire is greatly appreciated.

now warren as for MUSIC therapy - it is a research-based, established, credentialed profession that uses music as the medium to elicit behavioral, physical, emotional, social, and cognitive changes. it is sometimes paired with other services like physical or occupational therapy. it is a phenomenal service because, as i think we can all agree, music is motivating and powerful .

and that's my major in a VERY brief nutshell. i promise that it is real. ;)

(one final plug about music therapy and then i promise to stop. if you would like more information on it check out www.musictherapy.org) :D

warren0728
June 26th, 2008, 02:13 PM
now warren as for MUSIC therapy - it is a research-based, established, credentialed profession that uses music as the medium to elicit behavioral, physical, emotional, social, and cognitive changes. it is sometimes paired with other services like physical or occupational therapy. it is a phenomenal service because, as i think we can all agree, music is motivating and powerful .

and that's my major in a VERY brief nutshell. i promise that it is real. ;)

(one final plug about music therapy and then i promise to stop. if you would like more information on it check out www.musictherapy.org) :D
very cool bg....i'll definately check out the link....what an interesting major!! :greenguitar:

ww

stingx
June 26th, 2008, 06:14 PM
i have to ask....what is "musical therapy" :whatever: ....i don't think they had that as a major when i was in college.....

ww

Wow, and I thought I had it easy with "Advanced Astronomy" :rotflmao:

ET335
June 26th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Welcome BG!! There is a world of knowledge here on the Fret and I'm sure you will enjoy being here.:)

just strum
June 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM
i have to ask....what is "musical therapy" :
ww

Here's how you can practice it at home. Crank the amp all the way up, crank the guitar all the way up, place your right ear against the speaker and let it rip.

Get back to us and tell us about your first therapy session.

evenkeel
June 26th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Welcome. Thanks for the explanation re: Music Therapy. Seems like a very rewarding course of study.

ET335
June 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Here's how you can practice it at home. Crank the amp all the way up, crank the guitar all the way up, place your right ear against the speaker and let it rip.

Get back to us and tell us about your first therapy session.

OH YEAH Strum!! that will work:rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
June 26th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Welcome, Baby Girrl ...( as well as Jerry Garcia's classic 'Not for Kids only', if you don't already know them).

That should be

Babee Grrl.

I agree that Not For Kids Only is a classic.

just strum
June 26th, 2008, 08:09 PM
OH YEAH Strum!! that will work:rotflmao:

Here's a recent pic of Warren after trying music therapy the way I prescribe. He probably should have seeked more information from BG before following my advice.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/bigear3.jpg

Steve206
June 26th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Welcome aboard BeeGee. Would "Trout Fishing in America" be classified as a musical therapy group?

Steve

Spudman
June 26th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Hello BG and welcome.:wave:

So is that Manhattan KS? I know the place a little bit.

warren0728
June 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Here's a recent pic of Warren after trying music therapy the way I prescribe. He probably should have seeked more information from BG before following my advice.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/bigear3.jpg
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

i am cured....man i wish i would have heard of this therapy years ago!!! :AOK:

ww

piebaldpython
June 26th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hey BG........re your major of Musical Therapy.....Baby Cobra's high school pal just graduated from SMU (don't even ask what a Philly girl is doing going to college in Texas; :thwap: ) with a degree in MT too.......she plays the harp........the kind of harp that the angels play; NOT the harmonica harp....:rotflmao:

Baby_Girl
June 26th, 2008, 11:12 PM
oh how awesome python! do you know if Baby Cobra's friend got to study with Betsey Brunk (King) while she was there? Betsey got her PhD at KU, but she was the department head at SMU for awhile. If she did, she should definitely count herself lucky. Betsey is phenomenal.

Kazz
June 27th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Welcome to the Fret BG.......Not sure if Shiner or CB told you yet...but I have a D46S too...and I just love it....Shiner told me that you are fairly fond of yours as well....which partly helped me make my decision in buying.

I keep telling CB that the by proxy thing cracks me up....and it is even more hilarious seeing you use the same reference.

Glad you finally made your way over here....

tot_Ou_tard
June 27th, 2008, 06:25 AM
.......she plays the harp........the kind of harp that the angels play; NOT the harmonica harp....:rotflmao:
Yeah, those kind of players tend to go to the other place ;).

Childbride
June 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM
So is that Manhattan KS? I know the place a little bit.

Lawrence, KS. :)

Hiya, BG! :D

Brian Krashpad
June 27th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Welcome missy!

Don't hold you breath on learning anything from me though! ;)

Guitar Gal
June 27th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Nice to see you again BG :AOK:

GG

oldguy
June 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Baby Girl!:D
I didn't know music therapy was a college course, but I've known for years music is therapy.:AOK:
Glad you joined us here!:)

Gil Janus
June 29th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Welcome to TheFret. It's a nice community that Robert and others have put together. I'm a relatively new member, but it's always good to have new members - the more the merrier. :bravo: :beer:

Almost any question can be asked and someone, in fact, usually more than one someone, will have an answer for your query. :thwap:

Once again, welcome to the party. :dude: :rockon: :AOK:

Gil :cool:

tot_Ou_tard
June 30th, 2008, 07:33 AM
It's always nice to see your posts Gil, nit least because I get to see a picture of Jerry.