PDA

View Full Version : Lunch shopping: John Hiatt album + SRV in Austin

Robert
June 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Did an impulse buy today. I bought the John Hiatt album "Same Old Man" CD+DVD set. Was only $18.99. Then I saw the Live in Austin SRV DVD for $9.99 so I got them both!

Will give me some inspirational moments in the upcoming while, I'm hopin'.

tjcurtin1
June 26th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing John perform near here in a few weeks..!

evenkeel
June 26th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Sounds like two great DVD's. Have to keep my eye out for them.

Never saw SRV but have seen Hiatt a bunch of times. Always a great show. Caught him at the old Bottom Line in NYC years ago.

sunvalleylaw
June 26th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Cool! You know I love that "In the Beginning" CD that is a recording of an early Austin concert with a young Stevie. Those should be great DVDs.

At first I thought you meant they were playing together. That would have been interesting as well.

tjcurtin1
June 26th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I think that you have to hunt for the Hiatt cd-dvd package, as it's a special release (standard package is just the CD) tho I saw it at Borders. I just ordered it for my brother via Amazon, where it is currently on sale for 17.98.

Robert
June 26th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I love the DVD! Just watched it. Some great takes there. Great to see Sonny Landreth play slide on a Gibson Firebird.

Robert
June 29th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Not totally impressed with the Hiatt album. A bit too much love song cliche lyrics and not enough tasty guitars. Still worth listening to, but I wouldn't hold it as one of the better Hiatt albums, at least not for guitar players.

I'm just watching SRV in Austin. Now this is some righteous guitar playing! The stage is dark so I can't see what amps he are using, but he usually used Super Reverbs and Vibroverbs?

Jipes
June 30th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Did an impulse buy today. I bought the John Hiatt album "Same Old Man" CD+DVD set. Was only $18.99. Then I saw the Live in Austin SRV DVD for $9.99 so I got them both!

Will give me some inspirational moments in the upcoming while, I'm hopin'.

I also bought it because I love so much Hiatt but after the first listening I was slightly disapointed by the CD and there's no clip of Hiatt with Cooder on the DVD :confused:

What about you Robert what's your opinion ?

duhvoodooman
July 1st, 2008, 08:12 AM
I'm just watching SRV in Austin. Now this is some righteous guitar playing! The stage is dark so I can't see what amps he are using, but he usually used Super Reverbs and Vibroverbs?
Vibroverbs for sure (he had two '64's), but I haven't read anything about Super Reverbs. He had a '59 Bassman and a '62 Twin, also. Not sure he had them for the first ACL appearance, but in later years, he also used Marshalls and a Dumble Steel String Singer that was worth more than my car when it was new.

Because of the small sound stage venue there, he may have just used a couple of the smaller amps for these shows.

sunvalleylaw
July 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM
Was the first Austin appearance the one that was turned into the "In the Beginning" Album? When was the other appearance, was it part of ACL?