PDA

View Full Version : Be careful before you make a Prince tribute album

Robert
June 27th, 2008, 07:18 AM
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/prince-sues-50-norwegian-artists-for-tribute-cd-161756

Prince sues 50 Norwegian artists for tribute CD

Christer Falck is head of Norwegian label C+C Records, a TV personality (in Norway) and one of Prince's biggest fans. So much so that he gathered together 50 of the finest Norwegian artists around to record a 5-CD boxset of covers to celebrate The Purple One's 50th birthday. The problem is that Mr Falck 'forgot' to pay the compulsory licensing fee – and Prince is suing the lot of them.

Plank_Spanker
June 27th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Oops! :D

Katastrophe
June 27th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I guess the Purple One turned red...

:D

I understand the need to protect a copyright, but really, what was the Norwegian guy trying to do? Make a little money, and pay tribute to a gifted artist. It seems to me that Purple guy could have had his attorneys say, "Look, we don't mind you doing the tribute, just pay the royalties and fees and go ahead."

Whole lot simpler than initiating a court action in a foreign country.

Jimi75
June 27th, 2008, 08:15 AM
That's strange behaviour. I also thought that he would check the material first and then claim some royalties.

Robert
June 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM
This is Prince - he's not at all like the rest of us...

warren0728
June 27th, 2008, 09:40 AM
This is Prince - he's not at all like the rest of us...
now that is an accurate statement if i've ever heard (or read) one! :messedup:

but man the guy can play! :master:

ww

luvmyshiner
June 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM
That will teach those nasty Norwegians not to show respect for an artist!:D

sunvalleylaw
June 27th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Hey, I am a good portion Norwegian. Dang that Prince!

sunvalleylaw
June 27th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Some legal clients don't particularly care about practical resolutions and it is about something else, typically more personal. I would bet Prince has some such reasons in his mind along those lines. I have tended to tell clients that suing people over principle of the matter can cost more, but I bet Prince doesn't care about that either.
I guess the Purple One turned red...

:D

I understand the need to protect a copyright, but really, what was the Norwegian guy trying to do? Make a little money, and pay tribute to a gifted artist. It seems to me that Purple guy could have had his attorneys say, "Look, we don't mind you doing the tribute, just pay the royalties and fees and go ahead."

Whole lot simpler than initiating a court action in a foreign country.