PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Delay

Robert
May 9th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Here is the video clip of my quick delay experiment last night. Using the same longer delay time on the whole clip.

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-3.php

Katastrophe
May 9th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Awesome, Robert! The diminished runs you were doing sounded particularly great, imho.:DR :R :D

jpfeifer
May 10th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Hi Robert,

I tried the link to this video but it seems to have moved or something. Can you send the link again? I'd love to check out the video.

-- Jim

Tim
May 10th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Hi Robert – Nice link to the “Fun With Delay”. I was hoping you would show different examples of several delay settings and what can be done with them.

But you defiantly opened my eyes to the meaning of practicing scales. Here I have been sticking to a box and going up and down across the strings. Now I need to learn how to expand this to up and down the fret board.

Do you have any suggestions (tricks) on how to learn the complete fret board? I know there are different modes such as Diminished, Major, Minor, etc. That’s a lot of territory there to memorize.

Guitar-Chris
May 10th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Great stuff Robert. Now i'm grabbing my delay unit out, plug it in and have some fun... un ....un......unnnnnnnnnnnnn

Robert
May 10th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Jim, try it again, it should work.

Tim, I might make another video later that shows more info.

Learn the fretboard? Hmm, by playing a lot! Fretboard Warrior is a tool I've heard people using, but I've never tried it myself.

SuperSwede
May 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM
No luck here, the video wasnt found!

Tim
May 10th, 2006, 11:11 AM
For those who are having difficulty finding Robert’s delay video try typing in “delay” in the search window. It will go right to it.

SuperSwede
May 10th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks Tim, I found it

Robert, nice video as always! A bit lower bitrate than usual?

jpfeifer
May 10th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Yes, I was finally able to view it after looking for "delay" in the search option for the site.

Very nice video Robert! I really like these cool licks that you can get with a digital delay like this. I especially liked your examples using diminished and whole tone scales.

I went to a Hellecasters concert one time and saw John Jorgenson doing a whole solo section using a delay like that. I was so inspired that I went out and bought a digital delay pedal the very next day.

The key thing for doing that technique is setting the delay time right for the tempo of the song.

For anyone else who wants to try this, here is a trick that I learned through trial and error:
- You will need to use a delay with a tap tempo feature
- Find the tempo of the song by tapping your foot to the beat in quarter notes (1, 2, 3, 4) for example
- Now, tap your foot using quarter note triplets ex. (1-2-3 4-5-6)
- With your tap tempo control, tap your foot in quarter note triplets but only hit beats 1 and 3
This sets the delay to happen a beat and 1/2 away from the original sound.
- Also play the notes in a staccato style and turn up the delay sound so that the delayed sound is the same volume as your dry sound.

-- Jim

blogan
May 10th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Wow, what a great tip for getting the dotted quarter note tap tempo!

It's a little easier for me to go to the triplets by first skipping quarter notes 2 and 4 first. In other words:

First, count the quarter notes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, ...
Second, count just the first and third quarter notes: 1, 3, 1, 3, ...
Third, convert the "beats" just counted to triplets: 1-2-3, 3-2-3, 1-2-3, 3-2-3.
Finally tap only on 1 and 3 in the triplets of step 3.

Thanks, jpf!

tot_Ou_tard
May 17th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Hi Robert – Nice link to the “Fun With Delay”. I was hoping you would show different examples of several delay settings and what can be done with them.

But you defiantly opened my eyes to the meaning of practicing scales. Here I have been sticking to a box and going up and down across the strings. Now I need to learn how to expand this to up and down the fret board.

Do you have any suggestions (tricks) on how to learn the complete fret board? I know there are different modes such as Diminished, Major, Minor, etc. That’s a lot of territory there to memorize.
Tim,

Here are some suggestions for learning the fretboard, which I highly suggest doing.

If a piano is like a chessboard, the fretboard is more like a go board. The patterns are more visual.

1) Guitar Fretboard Workbook "Berett Tagliarino" from Musician's Institute & Hal Leonard.

This is an easy friendly book that helps you understand the structure of the fretboard.

2) Fretboard Logic parts I and II. "Bill Edwards"
Another nice one that gets into the CAGED system.

3) The Guitar Grimoire Series "Adam Kadmon"
These are much more involved, but do not have the pratice exercises that book 1) has. There are something like 5 thick books in this series. Probably it is best to start with

The Guitar Book

which is a condensation of the rest of the series. If you want to understand scales and to be able to voice your own chords at the drop of a hat then this book might be for you.

4) Get yourself a beginner's music theory book. I did, it took me about a week to absorb the ideas. It's been a tremendous help.