PDA

View Full Version : Bending strings?

ShootTheGlass
June 28th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Apologies for the rookie style line of questioning... :)

When bending strings, I always seem to get unwanted sound from the adjacent string, when I move my finger away from it. For example, if I do a full step bend on the B string, my fingers will touch the G, and as soon as I release the bend, I get an open-G sound from that string.

Is there an easy way to stop this happening? Is it a case of improving my technique, or using right hand muting?

just strum
June 28th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Not sure if this is the correct answer, but two approaches work for me 1) angle my fingers so the adjacent string hits my finger nail and the smooth surface doesn't allow for it to create unwanted noise. 2) angle you fingers so the adjacent string just hit the flesh of your finger and again allows for nothing to really catch the adjacent string. Oh, two more 3) practice, practice, practice, and 4) stop bending - option 4 not advised.

pes_laul
June 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I have this problem on my silverstreet because the action is higher.

my only suggestion is to work on the way you bend and like strum said angle your fingers more.

Robert
June 28th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Practice, practice - it's all in the left hand.

just strum
June 29th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Practice, practice - it's all in the left hand.

Unless you are left handed, but the practice, practice remains the same.

ZMAN
June 29th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I do a lot of bending and finger vibrato in my playing. I only have trouble on 7.5 degree radius guitars. Then I can sometimes "fret out" which gives you the unwanted tones. On my 9.5s and 12 inch radius guitars I have no problems. I tried everything I could to get that tone you were talking about and could not. The only thing I could think of was that you were bending the string then lifting off the string and letting it snap back instread of slowly returning it to it's position. I keep my action as low as possible without buzzing and that helps a lot. A lot of rooky guitar players play with their thumb too high on the back of the guitar and this puts a different angle on bends. My mentor would always tap my thumb when it was too high and make me move it to the back of the neck. It could be your hand position.
The funny thing is I had to actually "think" about how I do bends and vibrato and I do not do that when playing.

pes_laul
June 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I do a lot of bending and finger vibrato in my playing. I only have trouble on 7.5 degree radius guitars. Then I can sometimes "fret out" which gives you the unwanted tones. On my 9.5s and 12 inch radius guitars I have no problems. I tried everything I could to get that tone you were talking about and could not. The only thing I could think of was that you were bending the string then lifting off the string and letting it snap back instread of slowly returning it to it's position. I keep my action as low as possible without buzzing and that helps a lot. A lot of rooky guitar players play with their thumb too high on the back of the guitar and this puts a different angle on bends. My mentor would always tap my thumb when it was too high and make me move it to the back of the neck. It could be your hand position.
The funny thing is I had to actually "think" about how I do bends and vibrato and I do not do that when playing.
+2:AOK:

Forgot about thumb placement

Plank_Spanker
June 29th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I do tons of string bending and vibrato in my lead work. I really don't even think about it anymore more, but I push the open string above the bend up with my fingertips. It stays muted during the bend and muted when I release the bend - it stays in constant contact with my lead finger when I bend. (hope this makes sense)

It all boils down to consistent practice. Once you get a feel for it, you won't even think about it anymore. Everybody has their own style - don't get too caught up in the mechanics - it's more of a "feel" thing.