PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cheap Canadian Beer

sunvalleylaw
June 28th, 2008, 05:05 PM
It is hot here today. Over 90F. So I have opted for an icy cold cheap Canadian Kokanee glacier beer that was in the fridge left over from my last mountain bike ride night when the stray ended up in my cooler after our post-ride adult replenishment beverages.

What are other favorite cheapo Canadian beers? :beer:

Algonquin
June 28th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I'd have to say Lakeport Honey Lager :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
June 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Hmm, that looks good. http://www.lakeportbrewing.ca/site1/sub/s_op_honey.php

But is it cheap?

Robert
June 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Why does it have to be cheap? I don't know what Big Rock Traditional costs in Idaho, but I sure like it! :beer:

sunvalleylaw
June 28th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I guess it does not have to be cheap. Just I was having a cheap "lawnmower" type hot day beer today. I have not seen Big Rock traditional either. Darn I live a sheltered life!

Algonquin
June 28th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hmm, that looks good. http://www.lakeportbrewing.ca/site1/sub/s_op_honey.php

But is it cheap?
$24 for 24 botles (+deposit)
Tall Boy cans are $1.75 each (including deposit)
I believe 24 355 ml cans are just under $30 including deposit.

I'm not sure if that's cheap compated to the Us and Europe, but it's inexpensive here in the White North :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
June 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Ok, cheap enough. That is about the same as a Kokanee 12 pack for 12.99 but no deposit required here.

ted s
June 28th, 2008, 09:13 PM
it's called lakeport because it's brewed along side the steel mills in Hamilton. I did some work in there years ago.:puke:

hubberjub
June 28th, 2008, 09:41 PM
You've got to take into consideration the exchange rate. Our dollar is in the dumps. I think we're about on par with Canada. I must start sampling more of the good Canadian beers. I just don't see many around my area.

sunvalleylaw
June 28th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Yeah, we get pretty much just Kokanee, Moosehead and Molson, oh, and Labatts.

Tone2TheBone
June 29th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Ummm...what's a deposit?

:)

Seriously...what is it and does it amount to more beer???

ZMAN
June 29th, 2008, 07:47 AM
When I am in Maine I usually pick up Molson Golden or Molson Canadian. We pay 22 dollars for 12 up here, and you guys down there can get it for under 10 dollars some times. The same with the Labatts blue. A 24 pack up here costs 36 dollars, including a 10 cents a bottle deposit. So the buck a beer group is quite cheap here. The saying goes "24 for 24" . This is a good web site to get a look at the various prices. They can be mind boggling up here.
I just can't understand how I can buy Beer made in Canada for almost 1/3 the cost that it is here.
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/
We only sell beer in dedicated stores called "the beer Store" and Liquor Control Board of Ontario Stores. Pretty original EH?
And by the way I worked for 30 years at that Steel mill and I have no ill affects. Well maybe that extra large right hand but that comes in handy for strummin and you hardly notice it.

sunvalleylaw
June 29th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Tone, the deposit is for the bottles and you get it back when you return them. A recycling thing. Oregon has done that for years with what used to be a $0.05 deposit per bottle.

SuperSwede
June 29th, 2008, 10:02 AM
T2tb, 100 empty bottles = a new beer ! :D

ZMAN
June 29th, 2008, 12:51 PM
In Canada (Ontario) There is a deposit on all alchoholic beverage containers.
It ranges from 10 to 20 cents per container. The Beer store used to be an in out type of place where you bring your empties and they give you cash on one side then you order your beer and they roll it out on rollers on the other side. Now they are going to more self serve stores where they have the beer chilled on multiple rollers by brand and package size. In other Provinces they sell it in the stores like the US. It really helps to recyle all the glass and aluminum.

marnold
June 29th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I was driving through my hometown the other day and reminiscing about going to a local watering hole on the night that they had $1 Moosehead. Ahhh, good times, good times.

t_ross33
June 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I'll throw in our local International Gold Medal Winner brewhouse: Great Western Brewing Co. (http://www.greatwesternbrewing.com)

Pretty good beer, and I like supporting local. Also like Sleemans, but I'll drink almost anything as long as it's cold :beer:

Spudman
June 30th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Molson Golden is my Canadian "lawnmower beer." Unfortunately I do my lawn so quickly that I never have time for a beer.:) Moosehead is my "BBQ" beer mainly so I can support the oldest and largest Canadian brewery...oh, and it tastes good too.;)

Guitar Gal
June 30th, 2008, 12:14 PM
When I was in college, a couple of guys and I drove up to Windsor and were introduced to a beer called Schooner. We of course had to help the local economy and purchased several cases prior to returning to the states.

Very tasty :beer:

GG

ZMAN
July 2nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
Guitar Gal: That is interesting. Schooner is an East Coast beer brewed by Labatts. You ususally can't get it up here in Ontario. I was told by a local that the Schooner and the Labatts Blue come out of the same vat. They are just marketed that way. Spudman: It is funny Molson Golden is not available in Canada! In fact Molson Golden used to be an Ale, and now it is a lager in the US. Most of the Molson brands up here are considered Premium beers and are priced higher. I would think the closest equivalent would be Molson Canadian Lager. But I can still buy that in the US for less than I do here.
We just celebrated Canada Day and I am usually in Maine for the July 4th holiday. We are going to Myrtle Beach in a week so we are missing the 4th for the first time in a few years. I try to sample a lot of different US beers when I am at the Ocean. The salt air seems to give me a wicked thirst. Or maybe it is the Lowland sea food.